Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rich Franklin "Can't Get No Respect"

Print  
Could Rich Franklin win the LHW belt?
yes 31 50%
no 31 50%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rich Franklin "Can't Get no Respect"

"Rich Franklin has lost to four men in his career: Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Vitor Belfort, and Dan Henderson. The loss to Dan Henderson, in my view, was one of the worst decisions of 2009, but we'll leave that for another day. Rich Franklin is intelligent, well-spoken, highly skilled, and exactly the type of spokesman that MMA's diehard fans should respect.

So why don't they? Because he's the UFC's ..."

Article

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3

Last edited 6/14/10 5:14AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   6/14/10 5:02:29AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I've always liked Rich. He has my respect for sure. I've never thought he was soft and never bought the Matt Lindland thing.

Post #2   6/14/10 5:50:48AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rich does well vs grapplers and strikers. He caught Silva with a few shots in their fight, beat Wandy, and Hendo (imo) He picks guys apart.. Stylistically Rich can match up well with 205ers cause he's well rounded, smart great cardio and is tuf as nails imo. Rich would do well vs Randy, Forrest, Luiz, Cyril, Nog (considering the Brillz fight) Thiago and Rashad. Rich is underated imo, and recently people on sites say he isn't good, which is bs imo. How can anyone say that, he only lost to the best guys on Earth!

Machida and Rua would win vs Rich imo but...(Rua may be out for a while. I hope they dont make an interim belt, cuz dtails r sketchy atm.who knows what Rua's knees are like now, Maybe Rich would do better vs Machida considering he fought him early in his career, after being a teacher, whereas Machida was bread to be an MMA samurai.
Machida may be less invincible after his ko loss to Rua.(especially now that Rua cracked the Lyoto code, other fighters could try to imitate counter counter presure aproach Rua won with) I don't think Lyoto will add a boxing or Muah Thai style to replace his Karate style. Lyoto will lose if he dont adjust if/when other guys figure him out also. For all these reasons, I feel Rich could get a title shot with 2 or 3 consecutive wins. go RICH salute u for being a standup dude.

Last edited 6/14/10 8:10AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/14/10 7:47:48AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I've never once heard or read anyone say that the firing of Lindland was Franklin's fault, or that Franklin "can be 'broken'." I assumed that Franklin's mediocre ranking is due to the fact that rankings are always done by weight class and he keeps moving between 185, 195 and 205. Here on the Playground rankings, for example, Franklin gets an "honorable mention" at both Middleweight and Light-Heavyweight. I suspect the author of the article is creating a tempest in a teapot so he can write about something.

Post #4   6/14/10 9:33:12AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
The only time I saw Rich disrespected was on TUF. Matt serra made fun of him for suggesting he start the fight with his knees on the ground or something like that. Other than that RIch has always been respected. I have always considered his success at MW due to his weight cutting abilities. But his move to LHW proves to me how good he really is. I think the Henderson fight opened my eyes. I would like to see him avenge that loss to Machida.

Post #5   6/14/10 9:42:32AM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Rich has very heavy hands. He touches guys and their whole game plan changes. You could see it a lot in his older fights. I amazed he doesn't have more KOs than he does.

Post #6   6/14/10 9:47:59AM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
I like to see Rich fight Anderson 1 more time at LHW. But this time do more takedowns. He's def one of my favorite fighters and if his fight against Chuck doesn't prove he's one of the toughest guys in mma, nothing does. Think about. How many people would have quit has soon has they felt their arm break.

Post #7   6/14/10 10:03:38AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

I've never once heard or read anyone say that the firing of Lindland was Franklin's fault, or that Franklin "can be 'broken'." I assumed that Franklin's mediocre ranking is due to the fact that rankings are always done by weight class and he keeps moving between 185, 195 and 205. Here on the Playground rankings, for example, Franklin gets an "honorable mention" at both Middleweight and Light-Heavyweight. I suspect the author of the article is creating a tempest in a teapot so he can write about something.

IDK, I've had to defend Franklin on more than one occasion on here. And my rule of thumb is...whatever gets said on here gets magnified 10x on other forums.

Post #8   6/14/10 10:23:48AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
I've never been a huge fan, but I've respected him since I watched him destroy Evan Tanner in April 2003.

Post #9   6/14/10 11:00:50AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Not a Franklin fan but was really impressed with his toughness Saturday night.....I watched that fight 5 times just to look at his demeanor after he broke his arm.....amazing mental/physical toughness on display.

He has my full respect.

Post #10   6/14/10 11:36:11AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Rich Franklin has always been one of my favorite fighters. Anyone who doesn't give him respect is bat s**t crazy. He was a fairly dominant champion. He's very well rounded with good striking, good power, good wrestling, excellent jiu jitsu, and as much heart as anyone who's ever stepped into the Octagon.

He's proven himself time and time again against the best in the world with wins over fighters like Evan Tanner, Wanderlei Silva, Jorge Rivera, Ken Shamrock, Nate Quarry, Chuck Liddell, Yushin Okami, Matt Hammill, and in most people's minds-Dan Henderson. He's only lost a handful of times and only ever to the Elite fighters.

I've also met him and I can tell you that he's a genuinely nice, down to earth, and funny guy.

Post #11   6/14/10 11:51:55AM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,383-1,264
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
i would never call a close decision one of the worst calls of 2009 but franklin continues to show hes still the man so i would never count that dude out,i hope the best for franklin but he beat a very old chuck a chuck that cant take the puches he used to ,but never say never would be a great story if he can win the 205 belt but honestly have fun in that stacked crazy weight class

Post #12   6/14/10 12:42:32PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
proving that he has KO power in the LHW division definetly helps his chances of winning the title, I personally think he has just as good of chance winning the title as anyone in the division. I'd like to see his next fight against Griffin which is most likely gunna happen, I would also like to see him against Rampage or a rematch against Machida.

Post #13   6/14/10 1:20:52PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
on top of being a great fighter, he is one of the best people in the ufc too

Post #14   6/14/10 2:00:01PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Rich is a solid competitor and will do really well at 205. I am not sure that a rematch with Machida would end much differently but I wouldn't count Rich out.

Post #15   6/14/10 2:18:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2