Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Pat Curran

Print  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The guy is a great up and coming fighter and has been very impressive so far in Bellator. With wins over Richi, Roger Huerta, and Toby Imada he's launched himself very close to top 10 in a very short span of time. If he beats Eddie Alvarez he could be an instant Top 10 fighter.

What do you guys think?

Post #1   6/13/10 10:52:03PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
I don't think he'll be top 10 even with a win over Alvarez. I have Alvarez ranked in the top 10, but considering how weak almost every division outside of the UFC is, it's hard to compare.

Post #2   6/13/10 11:03:45PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think his fight robbed Imada and don't see him winning against Alvarez, but yeah if he does win I'd definately put him in the top ten for sure.

Post #3   6/13/10 11:14:58PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Are we talking Top Ten LW's? I would have to assume that this is the case because to include him in p4p would be absurd at this point.

Post #4   6/13/10 11:34:34PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Chips:
I agree with Jae. I thought Imada won that fight. I even thought that Imada won the striking exchanges minus that one big right from Curran. If he beats Alverez, I might consider him 10 but nowhere higher though. He does have some solid boxing and ground skills

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #5   6/13/10 11:37:01PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
Ya I was absolutely talking top 10 LW's. He's no where near P4P.

I agree that the Imada fight was very close and I think the decision could have gone either way. But to call it a robbery is a stretch IMO. It wasn't anything close to the worst decision we've seen and I can definitely see and argument for Curran winning the fight.

I'll admit I'm a little biased in this one (I train with Pat) but I give Curran a legit shot against Alvarez and I don't see how you could not put him in the top 10 if he wins that fight. Bellator's LW division is probably their best division. Both Huerta and Alvarez are high level fighters. Imada isn't so bad himself. I think tournaments offer a unique opportunity to young fighters like Curran. Beating that many guys in that short of a time, with each opponent being tougher than the next, is quite a task.

Post #6   6/14/10 8:54:55PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
That's what I had figured. For me it will depend on the manner in which he beats Alvarez. If he squeaks out a narrow split decision victory or a questionable UD, I'd still have Alvarez ranked ahead of him because he's beaten Hansen, Neer, Riley, and Imada. While Curran's best wins would be Alvarez, Imada (call that wash for the sake of argument even though Alvarez finished him and Curran had a controversial UD), and Huerta.

If he easily dispatches Alvarez, 10 but no higher.

Post #7   6/14/10 9:03:09PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,264-800
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
i was real iffy about the huerta dec. but the imada dec was disgusting. i saw imada winning that fight in every way possible. even my dad who happened to be watching with me was ultra suprised at the dec. and he knows nothing about mma (take it either way) but i was totally disgusted with that decision. imada earned his right for a rematch with alvarez.

but...

curran looks extremely promising. he looked decent against huerta. which is not an easy task. i wasnt bashing curran cause i think he shows great great promise i just dont think he won those fights. well i could understand huerta sorta but no way imada.

Post #8   6/14/10 9:17:35PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

i was real iffy about the huerta dec. but the imada dec was disgusting. i saw imada winning that fight in every way possible. even my dad who happened to be watching with me was ultra suprised at the dec. and he knows nothing about mma (take it either way) but i was totally disgusted with that decision. imada earned his right for a rematch with alvarez.

but...

curran looks extremely promising. he looked decent against huerta. which is not an easy task. i wasnt bashing curran cause i think he shows great great promise i just dont think he won those fights. well i could understand huerta sorta but no way imada.

I don't see how you could be so disgusted with the decision. I can make an argument for Pat winning every round. Here's how I scored it.

Round 1

Imada spends much of the time pressing Pat up against the cage. The only strikes Imada throws are pitter-patter knees to the thighs. When Pat is against the cage he throws back with hard punches to the ribs, several knees to the bread basket, and hard shots over the top to Imada's head. Imada briefly takes Pat down. However, Pat stands up so quickly that it's hard to tell if he was ever really down. I'm not sure that takedown would've even been scored in a wrestling match. Pat reverses the clinch several times and puts Imada against the cage but is unable to hold him there. Towards the end of the round Pat pushes of and lands a four or five punch combination that ends with a big left hook that sends Imada stumbling against the cage.

10-9 Pat Curran

Round 2

More of the same from Imada. He walks forward with out throwing many shots but eventually forces Curran against the cage. His knees seem to have a little more on them this round but he still throws mostly or only shots to the thighs. Overall an uneventful round with both fighters fighting for position in the clinch. The ref probably should have separated them several times.

10-9 Imada

Round 3

A little more action this round from both fighters. Imada is throwing a few straight punches as he walks forward. Pat is countering with leg kicks, high kicks, and punches to the body and head. Imada scores a takedown but Pat immediately hits an outside switch that leaves Imada lying flat on his back with Pat standing over him. Towards the end of the round as Imada is walking in Pat lands a huge right hand that stumbles Imada and opens a large cut on his face. Pat doesn't pounce and elects to stand back and wait. Imada scores one more brief takedown that he is unable to capitalize on. The round ends with both fighters throwing shots, and here Pat is clearly landing cleaner.

10-9 Pat Curran

Final- 29-28 Pat Curran.

Maybe if Imada would have done more than walk forward and hold him gingerly against the cage I could see him winning the fight. Maybe turn the commentary off. Just because the announcer says a fighter won the round doesn't mean he did.

Post #9   6/15/10 2:14:31PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,264-800
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by hate4thestate

but...

I don't see how you could be so disgusted with the decision. I can make an argument for Pat winning every round. Here's how I scored it.

Round 1

Imada spends much of the time pressing Pat up against the cage. The only strikes Imada throws are pitter-patter knees to the thighs. When Pat is against the cage he throws back with hard punches to the ribs, several knees to the bread basket, and hard shots over the top to Imada's head. Imada briefly takes Pat down. However, Pat stands up so quickly that it's hard to tell if he was ever really down. I'm not sure that takedown would've even been scored in a wrestling match. Pat reverses the clinch several times and puts Imada against the cage but is unable to hold him there. Towards the end of the round Pat pushes of and lands a four or five punch combination that ends with a big left hook that sends Imada stumbling against the cage.

10-9 Pat Curran

Round 2

More of the same from Imada. He walks forward with out throwing many shots but eventually forces Curran against the cage. His knees seem to have a little more on them this round but he still throws mostly or only shots to the thighs. Overall an uneventful round with both fighters fighting for position in the clinch. The ref probably should have separated them several times.

10-9 Imada

Round 3

A little more action this round from both fighters. Imada is throwing a few straight punches as he walks forward. Pat is countering with leg kicks, high kicks, and punches to the body and head. Imada scores a takedown but Pat immediately hits an outside switch that leaves Imada lying flat on his back with Pat standing over him. Towards the end of the round as Imada is walking in Pat lands a huge right hand that stumbles Imada and opens a large cut on his face. Pat doesn't pounce and elects to stand back and wait. Imada scores one more brief takedown that he is unable to capitalize on. The round ends with both fighters throwing shots, and here Pat is clearly landing cleaner.

10-9 Pat Curran

Final- 29-28 Pat Curran.

Maybe if Imada would have done more than walk forward and hold him gingerly against the cage I could see him winning the fight. Maybe turn the commentary off. Just because the announcer says a fighter won the round doesn't mean he did.

i wasnt even listening to the announcers. imada controlled him for the majority of the fight. he was pushing forward most of the time. he was throwing plenty of punches and landing. although that might not be as hard that really shouldnt matter as much as the work imada was doing. i thought in no way shape or form did curran win that fight. he landed a couple hard shots but nothing near the amount of work that was enough to win.

Post #10   6/15/10 3:00:22PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
i thought imada won that fight

didnt really have too much of a problem with the huerta decision

Post #11   6/15/10 3:10:15PM