Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

A "Mean" Tyson Griffin Isn't Interested In A Fight Bonus Against Evan Dunham

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It's not that he doesn't want more money, but simply because Fight Of The Night means it was a close fight and he doesn't want a close fight tomorrow. "I think one of my biggest strengths when it comes to this situation is that I might be a little too nice in the gym. I don't like to hurt my training partners. If I land a punch and he's rocked, I'm not going to jump on him. I think one thing he might be surprised with is how mean I am in the cage as opposed to how I am in the gym. I feel like I’ve learned a lot, I’ve gained tons of experience, and learning that when I fight more patient, my abilities really shine as opposed to going in there and just scrapping. Yeah, Fight of the Night bonuses are great, but Fight of the Night means it was a close fight, and I’m not trying to have anymore close fights."

Article

Post #1   6/11/10 10:47:20AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
The only way I can muster a bitch about the way Griifin fights, would be that he doesnt seem to finish many fights...well 2 fights out of 9 in the UFC he has finshed. 1 sub in his first fight in the UFC over David Lee???, and 1 TKO over Franca....in Franca's last fight!! no less. Dunham will keep on him all fight and will present oppourtunities for Tyson to finish.....If he capitalizes ...only time will tell

Last edited 6/11/10 10:21PM server time by bustedknuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/11/10 10:18:45PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

The only way I can muster a bitch about the way Griifin fights, would be that he doesnt seem to finish many fights...well 2 fights out of 9 in the UFC he has finshed. 1 sub in his first fight in the UFC over David Lee???, and 1 TKO over Franca....in Franca's last fight!! no less. Dunham will keep on him all fight and will present oppourtunities for Tyson to finish.....If he capitalizes ...only time will tell

After his last performance, I think hes a very dangerous lightweight. I believe he is the second best striker at lightweight. His combinations are beautiful.

Post #3   6/12/10 4:02:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

After his last performance, I think hes a very dangerous lightweight. I believe he is the second best striker at lightweight. His combinations are beautiful.

His first step is really impressive. He's got great explosive movement and a beautiful 1, 2. I still think his overall boxing game could use some improvement, though.

What drives me nuts about MMA fighters is how they don't differentiate between being a straight puncher or a power puncher or whatever technique they choose to use. It's like they learn the boxing fundamentals but they don't refine their game for THEMSELVES. BJ Penn is the only UFC fighter off the top of my head that I can really feel comfortable saying has a well refined boxing technique that he himself owns from a pure boxing standpoint. He uses his jab so effectively when he's got it working and he most definitely has his own style that he has made work. Tyson showed he's almost there in his last couple of fights but I dunno if he really knows how to keep the pressure coming like BJ Penn does. I feel like he hesitates instead of falling into his technique completely.

People are going to hate me for this but Gray Maynard has also shown moments of brilliance in his boxing technique IMO.

Post #4   6/12/10 4:24:44PM