Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen's (Possibly Fake) Twitter Not Helping Political Ambitions

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The rash of alleged Twitter identity thefts continues in the MMA world, or so we are told.

The latest supposed victim is top UFC middleweight contender and current Republican nominee for Oregon State Representative Chael Sonnen, who's taking heat in an article today on the Huffington Post for remarks on a Twitter account that purports to be his.

The complicating factor – and this is where the story starts to sound familiar to anyone who followed the Jamie Yager saga last week – is that Sonnen has, according to the Huffington Post, called the account (Twitter.com/sonnench) a fake after he was contacted by reporters about some off-color comments that appear on the page.

LINK

Post #1   6/11/10 8:35:44AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Chips:

Update: In this interview with MMA Fighting's own Ariel Helwani (skip to the 45:40 mark), Sonnen identifies @sonnench as his personal Twitter account. So, case closed on that debate.

Post #2   6/11/10 8:41:04AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL I wondered when this crap would get him in trouble with his political aspirations.

I know everyone is loving Chael and all. But since when was he this guy? That's what I've been thinking the whole time. I think he's just trying to cash in and make his money while he's on a run. Because as much as Chael was a bit of a macho tough guy for the last couple of years he was never like this.

Post #3   6/11/10 10:04:19AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Chips:
That and he got comfortable being that guy way too quickly, which never pans out in the long run.

Post #4   6/11/10 11:11:52AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
He's not a big enough scumbag to make it in politics.

Post #5   6/11/10 11:18:44AM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Well the one where he says something like 'Ed and his gang of savages' was pure racism if you ask me.

But if he's going to start lying about things, it should fast track him into office, no?

Post #6   6/11/10 12:00:55PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,978-1,663
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

He's not a big enough scumbag to make it in politics.

He is a big enough douche bag though.

Post #7   6/11/10 6:36:48PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Well the one where he says something like 'Ed and his gang of savages' was pure racism if you ask me.

Savage
-noun
1. an uncivilized human being.
2. a fierce, brutal, or cruel person.
3. a rude, boorish person.
4. a member of a preliterate society.

Please explain how Sonnen calling someone a "savage" is racist?A savage can be anyone of any race.It doesn't apply to race,but to behavior.He could have just as easily been talking about Brock Lesnar.

Brian.

Last edited 6/11/10 10:15PM server time by WheelchairBandit
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/11/10 10:14:20PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Savage
-noun

Please explain how Sonnen calling someone a "savage" is racist?A savage can be anyone of any race.It doesn't apply to race,but to behavior.He could have just as easily been talking about Brock Lesnar.

Brian.

Calling a Brazilian a member of a preliterate society couldn't be interpreted as racism by Brazilians?

Post #9   6/11/10 10:17:32PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Chips:
Slamming someone's reading skills isn't exactly racism,and considering how well spoken and smart the Black House guys are,I don't think it's going to hurt their feelers none.

But it IS an insult after all.Come on guys,you're analyzing trash talk here and trying to pick it apart for a "gotcha!" moment.These are insults meant to try to hurt someones feelings for cryin out loud.That's the whole point of trash talking.Lighten up people!

Brian.

Post #10   6/11/10 10:21:48PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Slamming someone's reading skills isn't exactly racism,and considering how well spoken and smart the Black House guys are,I don't think it's going to hurt their feelers none.

But it IS an insult after all.Come on guys,you're analyzing trash talk here and trying to pick it apart for a "gotcha!" moment.These are insults meant to try to hurt someones feelings for cryin out loud.That's the whole point of trash talking.Lighten up people!

Brian.

I don't think anybody was nit picking his comments necessarily. More like responding to the article and how it's hurting his political ambitions. I could care less what Chael uses for trash talk in regards to MMA. The more the merrier. (Granted I do find it ironic he only just now in his career stepped it up this much).

Obviously I'd prefer it to stay away from any racial attacks or slurs but I'm not his keeper so he can do whatever he wants. However stupid it makes him sound.

Anyways though if that's the case then you might as well give the President a pass for calling a Mexican a savage or something. Ultimately isn't it the same thing? Don't you think the hispanic community (or any community really) would be in an uproar if a well known political figure called a member of their home nation a "savage"?

Chael chose to be a politician so as far as I'm concerned he can deal with the criticism for his ignorant comments. Speaking from a purely political perspective the comments were dumb at best. From an MMA standpoint- who cares?

Post #11   6/11/10 11:33:01PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Chips:
The Huntington Post is nitpicking his comments,trying to make politcial hay out of pro wrestling-esque statements.They're totally forgetting that this is Sonnen's day job,and what he's doing is no different than what a ton of other MMA fighters do to hype a fight.That doesn't mean he would be unfit to be a politican.The Huffington Post is doing it because Sonnen is a Republican,and they are a left leaning blog that generally tries to shoot down as many right wingers as possible.Sonnen was an easy target.If he was a Democrat,they wouldn't care.

And this is completley different than Barack Obama calling someone a savage.Obama doesn't compete as a prize fighter in his spare time,and is not expected to promote a fight.

Chael Sonnen deals in hype and hyperbole.None of what he says is serious.It's meant to hype and sell a fight,and get people interested.Trying to bring down a man's political career because of it is taking MMA fandom a bit too far.

Brian.

Post #12   6/11/10 11:50:01PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Chips:

[
Savage
-noun

Brian.

Actually the term 'savage' isn't strictly applied to just describing someones behavior. It can be used as an adjective and yes this is when someone would typically describing a behavior. But......it can also be used as a noun, and thats where I can see people would have an issue with this Chael's statement.

Post #13   6/11/10 11:53:38PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Savage
-noun

Brian.

So if they were from Africa and he called them spearchuckers you would be OK with that too? Come on man, pure racism in the term savage. A lot of people in Canada do not appreciate being called savages, I'm sure South Americans don't either.

Post #14   6/11/10 11:57:48PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:

The Huntington Post is nitpicking his comments,trying to make politcial hay out of pro wrestling-esque statements.They're totally forgetting that this is Sonnen's day job,and what he's doing is no different than what a ton of other MMA fighters do to hype a fight.That doesn't mean he would be unfit to be a politican.The Huffington Post is doing it because Sonnen is a Republican,and they are a left leaning blog that generally tries to shoot down as many right wingers as possible.Sonnen was an easy target.If he was a Democrat,they wouldn't care.

And this is completley different than Barack Obama calling someone a savage.Obama doesn't compete as a prize fighter in his spare time,and is not expected to promote a fight.

Chael Sonnen deals in hype and hyperbole.None of what he says is serious.It's meant to hype and sell a fight,and get people interested.Trying to bring down a man's political career because of it is taking MMA fandom a bit too far.

Brian.

Problem with that is Sonnen is trying to be both. What works in politics and prowrestling is way different.

If Sonnen wants to be a politician, then he better be ready for all his comments to be nitpicked. That's just par for the course. Also, since when does what a politician do in his day job not matter? Politicians are picked apart in every facet of their lives, including their job, family, sex life, and everything else. The idea that being a fighter exempts him in a way that other politicians like Obama are not is laughable.

Post #15   6/12/10 12:05:32AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2