Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tito Ortiz Talks Neck Surgery, Comeback and Still Wanting to Fight Chuck Liddell

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Breaking his silence about his neck injury, withdrawing from his fight with Chuck Liddell and being replaced on The Ultimate Fighter, Tito Ortiz said he plans to be back in the cage around October or November, and hopes to return against Liddell.

Speaking on Spike's Inside the Ultimate Fighter podcast, Ortiz said he will actually be rooting for Liddell in his UFC 115 bout this weekend against Rich Franklin, but said win or lose, Liddell should have to face him later this year.

"I think we should still fight, just because of the s--- he's been saying. Saying that I'm afraid of him and I'm a p----, this and that. Go f--- yourself man. Are you kidding me? Has he ever defended his world title longer than me? No. Has any light-heavyweight ever defended the world title longer than me? No. I'm only 35 years old. I'll be back in the cage again, and I'll be dominating."

LINK

Post #1   6/10/10 2:03:18PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
haha... I really don't mind tito after seeing him on TUF for a couple of seasons. He's a meathead sometimes, but he seems like a genuinely nice guy who really cares about his fighters a lot. I used to really dislike him, but that being said I don't think he's ever going to be competing at the level he once did, and if he's having problems that involve not being able to feel your body and requiring neck surgery, I really hope he just fights chuck and finds a way to involve himself with the sport that doesn't involve risking paralysis afterward.

Also, I feel for him here. It's got to be unbelievably frustrating to be sidelined with such a serious injury and having your opponent call you a ***** for taking care of your health, especially for a guy who was a dominant champion for a long time.

Last edited 6/10/10 3:38PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/10/10 3:37:05PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Back to dominating, doubt that.

Only matchup I slightly want to see with tito is couture/ortiz 2

Post #3   6/10/10 4:08:40PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I would love to see Tito beat Chuck, I don't think it will ever happen but I think if Tito hadn't ducked Chuck in his prime, he could have beaten Chuck. I honestly think Tito needs to retire before he gets hurt.

Post #4   6/10/10 4:53:35PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I think Tito could beat Chuck this time around.

Post #5   6/10/10 6:10:07PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
My whole problem with this situation is that Tito took the fight and took the TUF coaching job when he already new he was hurt...........This is just Tito Advertising as usual...........He will never be a top ranked fighter again he is all about the face time these days........

Post #6   6/11/10 1:43:26AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

My whole problem with this situation is that Tito took the fight and took the TUF coaching job when he already new he was hurt...........This is just Tito Advertising as usual...........He will never be a top ranked fighter again he is all about the face time these days........

Post #7   6/11/10 3:13:57AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Chips:
I'd like to see Tito Ortiz eventually matched up against a fighter that isn't an eventual or former champion. I don't think he's a top-ten light heavyweight at all, but I don't think he's a terrible fighter either.

He didn't look completely outclassed against Rashad Evans or Forrest Griffin.

Last edited 6/11/10 3:19AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/11/10 3:19:07AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

I really don't think he did know. Or at least he didn't think he would require another surgery and that he would be able to fight through whatever he had. I really, really doubt he took the TUF job with the intention of waiting until the end and pulling out.

He may have known that he was feeling some pain or numbness but I really doubt that he knew his spinal chord was being compressed and he needed neck fusion surgery when he accepted the job. I really, really, super highly doubt that.

Post #9   6/11/10 4:22:35AM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by wrona666

I really don't think he did know. Or at least he didn't think he would require another surgery and that he would be able to fight through whatever he had. I really, really doubt he took the TUF job with the intention of waiting until the end and pulling out.

He may have known that he was feeling some pain or numbness but I really doubt that he knew his spinal chord was being compressed and he needed neck fusion surgery when he accepted the job. I really, really, super highly doubt that.

Agreed !! It's hard is it to tell if the weird aches and pains are minor or major issues until you get it checked out.

I tore my bicep and never got it checked out until I had a huge lump form from the muscle bunching up and thought to myself hmmm that don't look right

Post #10   6/11/10 7:15:31AM