Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White on Chuck Liddell: 'A loss at UFC 115 would be the end'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"Yes [a loss at UFC 115 would be the end of Chuck Liddell's career], and I think he will say the same thing. But let me tell you what the difference is - the difference before, when I wanted him retired, was that he wasn't doing the right thing. He was out partying every night and doing the wrong thing not the right thing. He wasn't living the life of a professional athlete... He and I sat down and talked and I will tell you what, he has kept his word. He has been phenomenal shape since the beginning of The Ultimate Fighter and it will be interesting to see how he does. Because Rick Franklin is tough, he is no joke. He had that war with Dan Henderson that many people believe he won, he had the war with Wanderlei Silva - he has fought all the best in the world."

LINK

Post #1   6/10/10 9:29:57AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Now what if chuck loses a close split decision? Or loses contraversal decision? Does he get 1 more fight?

Post #2   6/10/10 10:54:23AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Did you click on the link of the photo? Man thats the third one I have seen I don't ever remember Chuck looking so lean.

Post #3   6/10/10 11:16:35AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Yeah, after this he's done, just like after the last 2

Post #4   6/10/10 2:03:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I wish I could say I had faith in Chuck still. I don't, though. I mean he was taking it to Rashad before he got KTFO'd, so obviously his offensive abilities are still there, but his defensive abilities are way behind and I'm sorry to say it but I've got no faith in his chin. It's too bad because it sounds like I'm talking down about a legend but isn't it all true??

I honestly think Nog, Randy, Chuck, Mirko, Randleman, Coleman, Tito, etc. are all done. That generation had its time and it is over. Franklin and Henderson are only a half a step behind them, too. The elites of the new generation would beat all of them IMO.

Last edited 6/10/10 2:23PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/10/10 2:10:44PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I wish I could say I had faith in Chuck still. I don't, though. I mean he was taking it to Rashad before he got KTFO'd, so obviously his offensive abilities are still there, but his defensive abilities are way behind and I'm sorry to say it but I've got no faith in his chin. It's too bad because it sounds like I'm talking down about a legend but isn't it all true??

I honestly think Nog, Randy, Chuck, Mirko, Randleman, Coleman, Tito, etc. are all done. That generation had its time and it is over. Franklin and Henderson are only a half a step behind them, too. The elites of the new generation would be all of them IMO.

Agreed. It really sucks when your favorite fighter of all-time is pretty much out the door in terms of competing.

I'm having an internal argument with myself about this fight. My brain says "pick Franklin" and my heart says "pick Liddell". And then these pictures of Chuck show up that make me think that I would be justified in picking with my heart.

Post #6   6/10/10 2:16:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I still think chuck/tito 3 should still happen even if chuck loses.

Post #7   6/10/10 2:41:56PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
if chuck gets destroyed, then it will be over for sure. its hard to say if its a good fight and he still loses then he might get another chance. if they go out there and lay it all out in an all out war and chuck loses then at least it will show hes got some fight left in him. he really needs to just go out and get the KO to keep fighting in the UFC.

Post #8   6/10/10 3:14:14PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
It seems kind of pointless to bring back Liddell if you're only gonna have him fight once.

Post #9   6/10/10 5:59:14PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I still think chuck/tito 3 should still happen even if chuck loses.

That is the proper way to say goodbye to Chuck....by watching him KO Tito one last time!

Post #10   6/11/10 12:41:55AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I honestly think Nog, Randy, Chuck, Mirko, Randleman, Coleman, Tito, etc. are all done. That generation had its time and it is over. Franklin and Henderson are only a half a step behind them, too. The elites of the new generation would beat all of them IMO.

I agree that most of the best from the first half of the decade are near the end. A couple of them seem to evading the age bug right now like Vitor (who started so young) and Fedor (who was so far ahead of everyone else in his time that the decline is slower), but I'd be willing to bet that within five years no one that was relevant in 2004 will still be relevant.

Post #11   6/11/10 2:15:36AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I agree that most of the best from the first half of the decade are near the end. A couple of them seem to evading the age bug right now like Vitor (who started so young) and Fedor (who was so far ahead of everyone else in his time that the decline is slower), but I'd be willing to bet that within five years no one that was relevant in 2004 will still be relevant.

Little Nog will be around for a while yet and so will Vitor probably. (like somewhat relevant for the next 3-5 years I'd guess) But other than that I'm hard pressed to think of guys off the top of my head that will be around. Overeem will probably be starting his decline around that time I'd guess. But I think he'll be semi-relevant (depending on which org he's fighting for) for the next 5.

Post #12   6/11/10 2:32:56AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Little Nog will be around for a while yet and so will Vitor probably. (like somewhat relevant for the next 3-5 years I'd guess) But other than that I'm hard pressed to think of guys off the top of my head that will be around. Overeem will probably be starting his decline around that time I'd guess. But I think he'll be semi-relevant (depending on which org he's fighting for) for the next 5.

Only fighter I can think of is Georges St. Pierre. Hard to believe that his first shot at a title was in 2004, and he's still not 30. By the time he's done, there's a great chance he will be the greatest of all time.

Heavyweights and light heavyweights "age" at a slower rate than those in lighter weight classes, so I can see a few of the older ones still being viable contenders or gatekeepers in five years. By and large I agree with ncordless, although I'm interested in seeing how Fedor reacts to getting slower, as his speed is what separates him from the vast majority of heavyweights.

Last edited 6/11/10 3:11AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #13   6/11/10 3:08:56AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
It's difficult for me to watch so many legends, whom I loved, drop off. lohmann, you're so right. By the time GSP is done, he could be incredible. That's the exciting part about these up-and-comers. They have exponential potential.

Post #14   6/11/10 4:33:42AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Only fighter I can think of is Georges St. Pierre. Hard to believe that his first shot at a title was in 2004, and he's still not 30. By the time he's done, there's a great chance he will be the greatest of all time.

Heavyweights and light heavyweights "age" at a slower rate than those in lighter weight classes, so I can see a few of the older ones still being viable contenders or gatekeepers in five years. By and large I agree with ncordless, although I'm interested in seeing how Fedor reacts to getting slower, as his speed is what separates him from the vast majority of heavyweights.

Wow... yeah that is hard to believe. I didn't realize that was all the way back in 2004. Pretty crazy.

I think GSP could very likely retire in the next 4 or 5 years if he continues on his run for much longer. He doesn't have much work left to do at all in the WW division. And if he does move beyond that division up into 185 then there's only so much work he can put in there, too. IMO he's earned "early" retirement and will have accomplished enough to be able to walk away with peace of mind knowing he's done quite a bit with his career and left hardly any questions as to his dominance.

Post #15   6/11/10 10:10:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2