Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rosenthal officiates UFC 116 main event; Lesnar's camp, UFC speak against Mazzagatti

Print  
Posted By Message

Jshep714

MMA Regular

Jshep714 Avatar

Career:1,406-735
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – Veteran referee Josh Rosenthal today was selected by the Nevada State Athletic Commission to officiate July's UFC 116 main event between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and interim belt holder Shane Carwin (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC).

Rosenthal was selected from a pool of available officials that also included Herb Dean, Steve Mazzagatti and Mario Yamasaki at today's NSAC meeting in Las Vegas based on the recommendation of NSAC executive director Keith Kizer.

Both Lesnar's camp and the UFC issued objections to Mazzagatti's potential selection, though NSAC chairman Pat Lundvall ultimately dismissed the claims and included the oft-criticized referee in the pool of potential officials.

LINK

Post #1   6/9/10 7:43:53PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I find this so freaking funny.
I wonder what they would think if every camp just kept trying to blackball the mustache?

Post #2   6/9/10 8:18:21PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I'm gonna laugh if Rosenthal stops the fight early in Carwin's favor.

Post #3   6/9/10 9:08:47PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Im kind of glad The Nsac didnt listen to lesnar's camp. Mazzagatti didnt make a bad call at all, i think Lesnar needs to man up and stop throwing a fit over the whole fiasco.

Post #4   6/9/10 11:15:36PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
what is wrong with Dana White? Does he watch his own fights? Mazzagatti is not anywhere close to being the worst ref around. Dan Miragliotta anyone? It just totally baffles me that Dana is willing to basically just treat Mazzagatti like a huge asshole in public all of the time, but a guy like Miragliotta who screws up nearly every single fight gets absolutely no flack. I can understand Brock and his camp not wanting him because they were directly involved with him in a situation that they felt was unfair, but Dana has absolutely no reason to be doing this.

Generally I either agree with Dana, or at least I understand why he does things that I don't agree with. I really think his ongoing lambasting of Mazzagatti makes him look like... well I won't say it but it makes him bad IMO. I find it especially annoying because he walks around saying "oh nothing we can do about the NSAC, not even going to try, just don't leave it in the hands of the judges" but he's willing to walk around talking as much **** as possible to try to get Mazzagatti fired.

If his dislike for Mazzagatti is more important to him than the problems with refereeing and judging in general, he needs to get his priorities straight. Maybe he should direct some of the energy he dumps into trying to get Mazzagatti fired into trying to correct some of the actual mistakes the NSAC CONSTANTLY makes instead.

No one cares if you don't like Mazzagatti, Dana. Do you job and give up your ridiculous personal vendetta, you look like a child with these constant attacks.

Last edited 6/10/10 4:42AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/10/10 4:38:18AM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
Dude it doesn't take rocket science to see that Mazzagatti is one of the worst refs in the game today.
Herb Dean and Josh Rosenthal make good calls, and aside from being a bit too passive, Herb Dean makes the least bad calls of any ref.
ALL refs will get questioned and its impossible to please the millions of viewers who each have a different point of view on how the fight went or should have went.
But Mazzagatti and Mirgliotta should be about tie in the "worst ref ever" catagory.
This ones a nail biter folks

Post #6   6/10/10 5:24:33AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by vomitshovel

Dude it doesn't take rocket science to see that Mazzagatti is one of the worst refs in the game today.
Herb Dean and Josh Rosenthal make good calls, and aside from being a bit too passive, Herb Dean makes the least bad calls of any ref.
ALL refs will get questioned and its impossible to please the millions of viewers who each have a different point of view on how the fight went or should have went.
But Mazzagatti and Mirgliotta should be about tie in the "worst ref ever" catagory.
This ones a nail biter folks

I'm guessing you read the first sentence and went straight for the post button. Either you didn't read it or you didn't understand it, because the point was not "mazzagatti is a good ref" (although I don't think he's anywhere near that bad) the point was "if Dana is going to spend so much effort blasting the **** out of Mazzagatti, why doesn't he spend that effort trying to fix the problems with officiating in general instead of saying "don't leave it to the judges, nothing I can do!""

I'm like 90% sure you read like 2 lines and just typed a response out instantly without reading the post.

Last edited 6/10/10 7:49AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/10/10 7:43:09AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As long as the ref is approved by the AC, neither fighters OR the promotion should have any kind of influence over who refs the fights.

Post #8   6/10/10 8:35:17AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

The point is that Mazz should have been disciplined by the AC or dismissed long ago.

Taking a point away from Lesnar in that first Mir fight was ridiculous.

Post #9   6/10/10 9:00:24AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Josh is good suprised they didn't go with herb dean

Post #10   6/10/10 9:59:06AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

The point is that Mazz should have been disciplined by the AC or dismissed long ago.

Yeah, had he not had that point deduction Brock would have been on the other end of the UD.

Post #11   6/10/10 10:16:21AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by finnish_line

Yeah, had he not had that point deduction Brock would have been on the other end of the UD.

Just because it didn't figure into the outcome of the fight doesn't make it any more right.

Post #12   6/10/10 3:46:46PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I don't know what you guys are talking about, honestly. Brock was hammering Mir in the back of the head. He was warned and he kept going with his careless striking.

Post #13   6/10/10 4:34:43PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

As long as the ref is approved by the AC, neither fighters OR the promotion should have any kind of influence over who refs the fights.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post #14   6/10/10 4:57:54PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I don't know what you guys are talking about, honestly. Brock was hammering Mir in the back of the head. He was warned and he kept going with his careless striking.

Oh yeah, very clear warning.

And Mir was turning his head to intentionally get rabbit punched.

Post #15   6/11/10 9:44:26AM