Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Babalu is going to make the move to Middleweight after fighting Lawler at Catchweight

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral says he will be staying at middleweight for the foreseeable future, although he does not rule out a return to light-heavyweight or even heavyweight at some point if the right fights are offered. Sobral has fought at heavyweight in the past and once clashed with Fedor Emelianenko in his pre-PRIDE days.

Post #1   6/8/10 11:35:40PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I think Babalu is less dangerous at MW. He's not fast enough and an injury free Lawler will KILL him easily.

Post #2   6/9/10 12:08:43AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

I think Babalu is less dangerous at MW. He's not fast enough and an injury free Lawler will KILL him easily.

I don't know about easily bro......I think its a tough match up for both guys I can see either one of these 2 pulling off the W!!!

Post #3   6/9/10 1:27:39AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
This will be an interesting fight for Babalu. Traditionally it seems to be the striking department where Babalu has lost fights when he can't get opponents down. Lawler is a good striker, but not GREAT. He's a good wrestler, but not GREAT.

I think it's safe to say that if Babalu can get top position on the ground he will take the W with relative ease. But I honestly don't know how well his striking matches up with Lawler and how well his wrestling will do against Lawler. I honestly feel those two departments could go either way depending on the strength Babalu brings into the match.

In the end I guess I believe it will come down to whether or not Babalu has a successful weight cut that doesn't drain him too much.

EDIT: Also, as much as I criticized him for his actions against David Heath I think Babalu is one of my favorite fighters and probably one of the most under-appreciated perennial LHW contenders out there.

Last edited 6/9/10 2:24AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/9/10 2:23:07AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Babalu walks around at 205. i dont think this will be a taxing cut at all, however Babalu has said that he fights better when hes small(and fast) for the weightclass, so you never know.

I think babalu easily beats lawler though, Shields had his way with Robbie. Babalu has better takedowns and finishing skills on the ground than shields, whilst having better defensive fundamentals on the feet. Everything other than the first time weight-cut points strongly in Babalu's direction.

Post #5   6/9/10 4:00:58AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Babalu walks around at 205. i dont think this will be a taxing cut at all, however Babalu has said that he fights better when hes small(and fast) for the weightclass, so you never know.

I think babalu easily beats lawler though, Shields had his way with Robbie. Babalu has better takedowns and finishing skills on the ground than shields, whilst having better defensive fundamentals on the feet. Everything other than the first time weight-cut points strongly in Babalu's direction.

He needs to get Lawler down, that can be really tough. If anything made me a believer in Lawler's abilities it was the fight with Manhoef. Hella patience and strategy.

But Shields did decimate him. I don't think Sobral is on that level though,

Post #6   6/9/10 1:25:45PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Manhoef isn't know for his ground fighting capabilities.....however he is badass! Lawler has (and always will have) the chance to KO Babalu, however other than that I don't see how he can win.

Post #7   6/10/10 7:33:05PM