Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva moving to 205 after UFC 117?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by snakeplissken

I wouldn't say he has cleared out the division either, there's a few more fighters in there who could give him a decent fight:

Wanderlei
Bisping
Kang
Miller

Kang was released after he lost to Bisping and if by Miller you mean Dan Miller, I think that fight would go either the same way as Leites and Maia, or it would end in the first round with Miller knocked out.

Not to mention Miller is on a 3 loss skid and hasn't really beaten top competition.

How about Belcher, Akiyama, Wandy, Bisping, Marquardt, Belfort, Munoz, Palhares, or Okami? The only one of those fighters he's fought is Marquardt and I'd love to see a rematch. Belcher and Akiyama are building a case. Wandy would be epic. Bisping could earn a shot if he keeps it up. Belfort everyone already wants to see. Okami wasn't far off and could get there again.

Munoz and Palhares are the two I would really want to see. Both guys are bad match ups for Anderson they're compact, powerful, have good takedowns and are dangerous on top. Munoz on top of anyone is a ground and pound massacre waiting to happen and Palhares can submit anyone.

Post #16   6/8/10 3:06:36PM   

Jshep714

MMA Regular

Jshep714 Avatar

Career:1,431-744
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by snakeplissken

I wouldn't say he has cleared out the division either, there's a few more fighters in there who could give him a decent fight:

Wanderlei
Bisping
Kang
Miller

Kang was released after he lost to Bisping and if by Miller you mean Dan Miller, I think that fight would go either the same way as Leites and Maia, or it would end in the first round with Miller knocked out.

Not to mention Miller is on a 3 loss skid and hasn't really beaten top competition.

How about Belcher, Akiyama, Wandy, Bisping, Marquardt, Belfort, Munoz, Palhares, or Okami? The only one of those fighters he's fought is Marquardt and I'd love to see a rematch. Belcher and Akiyama are building a case. Wandy would be epic. Bisping could earn a shot if he keeps it up. Belfort everyone already wants to see. Okami wasn't far off and could get there again.

Munoz and Palhares are the two I would really want to see. Both guys are bad match ups for Anderson they're compact, powerful, have good takedowns and are dangerous on top. Munoz on top of anyone is a ground and pound massacre waiting to happen and Palhares can submit anyone.

I agree Silva vs Wandy would be epic, but I think I read somewhere that Silva doesn't want to fight him.

One guy I want to see in the UFC because I think he would be an awesome matchup for Anderson is Hector Lombard, he just needs to take a step up in competition and come to the UFC.

Middleweight is a crowded division with a bunch of people beating up on each other trying to get to the top of the mountain. For instance, if Belfort is on hold for the next title shot, where does the winner of Akiyama and Wandy, or the winner of Belcher and Maia fit in? Does the winner of those two fight? Who does Nate bounce back against?

I think a really good fight to see would be Munoz vs Bisping. The winner of that fight would be catapulted up there with the winner of the other two fights.

Last edited 6/8/10 3:23PM server time by jshep714
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #17   6/8/10 3:21:45PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by snakeplissken

Wanderlei
Bisping
Kang
Miller

I completely disagree with any of these guys giving Anderson a good fight, Kang is probably the best 1 round fighter in MMA, then he goes on to completely crap the bed in the others.

Bisping will get KO'd, doesn't help that he has pillow fists either.

Miller would end up looking like Thales, imo...

Wanderlei is the more interesting of the 4, but even then his style doesn't match up to Anderson's.

Post #18   6/8/10 3:46:36PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by snakeplissken

Wanderlei
Bisping
Kang
Miller

I agree Silva vs Wandy would be epic, but I think I read somewhere that Silva doesn't want to fight him.

One guy I want to see in the UFC because I think he would be an awesome matchup for Anderson is Hector Lombard, he just needs to take a step up in competition and come to the UFC.

Middleweight is a crowded division with a bunch of people beating up on each other trying to get to the top of the mountain. For instance, if Belfort is on hold for the next title shot, where does the winner of Akiyama and Wandy, or the winner of Belcher and Maia fit in? Does the winner of those two fight? Who does Nate bounce back against?

I think a really good fight to see would be Munoz vs Bisping. The winner of that fight would be catapulted up there with the winner of the other two fights.

I believe Nate is fighting Palhares in a fight i'm leaning towards Palhares to win.

Post #19   6/8/10 3:48:32PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
You got to this one before I could. Kang, really? Even if he were still in the UFC, really?

I'm all for this move. Let's test him at the next level.

Post #20   6/8/10 4:15:25PM   

scooter19820

Learning to Sprawl

scooter19820 Avatar

Career:557-359
Camp: Ricardo Arona's Skull
Chips:

Posted by snakeplissken

Wanderlei
Bisping
Kang
Miller

Is this a serious post?

Post #21   6/8/10 5:38:21PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
for the debate over whether Anderson has had to face better competition than GSP, let's put their title match victories next to each other in impressiveness of win order (imo).

GSP.........................Anderson

BJ Penn......................Henderson
Fitch.............................Franklin
Alves............................Marquardt
Hughes.......................Maia
Hardy...........................Cote
Serra............................Leites

To me, GSP has faced the better competition, but it is really close. i say BJ is a better win than Henderson. Fitch and Franklin are about even. Alves imo is a better win than Marquardt. Maia is a little more impressive than Hughes to me, but just barely. Hardy is a slightly better win than Cote...maybe a little more than slightly. and Serra is a better win than Leites.

Post #22   6/8/10 6:19:02PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

for the debate over whether Anderson has had to face better competition than GSP, let's put their title match victories next to each other in impressiveness of win order (imo).

To me, GSP has faced the better competition, but it is really close. i say BJ is a better win than Henderson. Fitch and Franklin are about even. Alves imo is a better win than Marquardt. Maia is a little more impressive than Hughes to me, but just barely. Hardy is a slightly better win than Cote...maybe a little more than slightly. and Serra is a better win than Leites.

One thing that makes Anderson Silva stand out for me is that he has moved up to defeat a top-five (at the time) Forrest Griffin. Hell, people were putting him in the 2-4 range prematurely after he laid an epic beatdown on Forrest.

The Penn win being greater than the Henderson victory is highly debatable, considering Henderson had pushed Rampage to the limits at a higher weight class in his previous fight and Penn was moving up and well below 170 pounds when he got trounced by a much larger fighter.

Didn't Dana want Anderson to stay at 185 until after a Belfort fight? What happened there?

Regardless, if Silva vacates and moves to 205, his first fight should be against the champion. Make it happen, Dana.

Post #23   6/8/10 6:33:48PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Comparing them like that I would have it

GSP......................Anderson

Alves.....................Henderson
Fitch......................Franklin
BJ Penn....................Marquardt
Serra.......................Cote
Hardy.........................Leites

IMO Henderson is a better win than Alves because he's more of a stylistic challenge to Anderson than Alves was to GSP. Fitch is a better win than Franklin for the opposite reason. Marquardt is obviously a better win than BJ because even though BJ is a great fighter he's a natural LW. Maia was a better win because of the condition Hughes was in at that point in his career (IMO Maia was an excellent title challenger, to bad the fight ended up like it did.) Cote is a better win than Serra because he actually earned his shot instead of getting it handed to him after a reality show. Hardy and Leites are both awful challengers for the belt and neither one of them earned their shot IMO. But I would have to say that Leites did more to earn it and that he was a better stylistic challenge than Hardy was. There was literally no way that I could see Hardy winning that fight. With Leites he would have at least had a chance if he could get it to the ground.

Post #24   6/8/10 6:36:12PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I don't think Anderson should get an immediate shot at Shogun, it's a disrespect to those that have paid their dues in that division. Despite Anderson's dominance at MW, he's only beaten Irvin (who cares) and Griffin (good win) at LHW, one fight and then title shot is the way I believe it should go down.

Post #25   6/8/10 7:04:30PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Comparing them like that I would have it

GSP......................Anderson

Alves.....................Henderson
Fitch......................Franklin
BJ Penn....................Marquardt
Serra.......................Cote
Hardy.........................Leites

IMO Henderson is a better win than Alves because he's more of a stylistic challenge to Anderson than Alves was to GSP. Fitch is a better win than Franklin for the opposite reason. Marquardt is obviously a better win than BJ because even though BJ is a great fighter he's a natural LW. Maia was a better win because of the condition Hughes was in at that point in his career (IMO Maia was an excellent title challenger, to bad the fight ended up like it did.) Cote is a better win than Serra because he actually earned his shot instead of getting it handed to him after a reality show. Hardy and Leites are both awful challengers for the belt and neither one of them earned their shot IMO. But I would have to say that Leites did more to earn it and that he was a better stylistic challenge than Hardy was. There was literally no way that I could see Hardy winning that fight. With Leites he would have at least had a chance if he could get it to the ground.

i am just 100% in the opposite corner. and to those who say Henderson is a better win than BJ i think you guys are highly mistaken. BJ Penn, at WW or LW, is one of the best fighters in the world. Henderson is a great fighter, but his performance against Shields definitely leads me to believe that a win over BJ Penn is more valuable than a win over Henderson. BJ is in his prime, Hendo is not. Marquardt is obviously not a better win than BJ imo, simply due to the fact that Marquardt is not at the same level as BJ. and Leites absolutely did not do more to deserve the title shot than Hardy. who did Leites even beat? he didn't deserve the win against Nate and now he is out of the UFC. and i believe that Serra is higher in the WW division rankings than Cote is in the MW rankings. and to look at things as a whole, i truly believe the WW division has more talent than the MW division. although, with the addition of Vitor and the way Chael has been fighting it is subject to change, however, Anderson didn't fight those guys yet.

Post #26   6/8/10 7:33:35PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It would have to be a top competitor too....not sure who, but a top 5 fighter in the division for sure.

Post #27   6/8/10 7:46:26PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

i am just 100% in the opposite corner. and to those who say Henderson is a better win than BJ i think you guys are highly mistaken. BJ Penn, at WW or LW, is one of the best fighters in the world. Henderson is a great fighter, but his performance against Shields definitely leads me to believe that a win over BJ Penn is more valuable than a win over Henderson. BJ is in his prime, Hendo is not. Marquardt is obviously not a better win than BJ imo, simply due to the fact that Marquardt is not at the same level as BJ. and Leites absolutely did not do more to deserve the title shot than Hardy. who did Leites even beat? he didn't deserve the win against Nate and now he is out of the UFC. and i believe that Serra is higher in the WW division rankings than Cote is in the MW rankings. and to look at things as a whole, i truly believe the WW division has more talent than the MW division. although, with the addition of Vitor and the way Chael has been fighting it is subject to change, however, Anderson didn't fight those guys yet.

BJ Penn's only win at welterweight was in 2004. While I don't doubt Penn's greatness, I doubt his abilities at WW, especially against the dominant wrestlers in that division.

And while Henderson appears to be on the decline now, his loss to Silva was amidst a long of strong performances that were during his prime: two fights before he KO'd Wanderlei Silva, a fight before he tested a top-of-his game Quinton Jackson, and the following fights he defeated Palhares, Franklin, and Bisping. I don't think the Henderson that showed up against Shields is the same one that so many picked to beat Silva in 2008.

At the very least, I think their resumes as champions are comparable, and while GSP has been manhandling the better competition lately, Anderson Silva's run from the Leben fight to his defeat of Dan Henderson is comparable.

Post #28   6/8/10 7:52:30PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
enough of the comparisons already, bottom line is that anderson has not cleaned out the division and still has 2 or 3 fights left to do so. i believe the chael/silva winner should fight vitor(yes belfort is my fav fighter) but none the less there are still some great opponents left in this division to challenge anderson silva. Giggity..... OOOOOH!!!!

Post #29   6/8/10 9:24:24PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Why do people think Hughes is not as good anymore? I think he is the same, the only difference is new guys that are good also, like Alves, Fitch etc. GSP got a lot better by the time he fought Matt again. Bj Penn and Serra being small is true but not worthy of recgonizing. Serra ko's ww's, and he cant make lightweight, so Serra is a good ww, anyone who beats him should be happy. Bj would have done better in GSP (not win, but better) fight, BJ is good and could most likely beat any ww, except Fitch, Kos and Alves.

It does not matter whos record is better Silva/GSP, because Chael, Vitor, Munoz, Akiyama, Wandy and Belcher are all guys who are about to be contender material, far from a cleaned out division imo.

Post #30   6/8/10 11:15:43PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3