Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Undisputed 2010 Performance 'Below Expectations'

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,275-1,280
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
That will save you some money but if sales don't pick up there won't be a 3rd version.

Then we could be in an even worse position because I don't expect EA Sports venture to do any better. In fact I think they'd be happy with these numbers.

EA's game won't have anywhere near the marketing push of Undisputed, it probably wont even be allowed advertising space on any Zuffa run shows. On top of that the casual fan doesn't recognize more than a handful of fighters in the game, these are the fans that still call MMA, UFC.

To them it would be like making a football game using only players from NFL Europe, the XFL, and the CFL, and calling it EA Sports Football.

Somehow I'd like to see the 2 games come together, neither is a complete game IMO. You can't have a game based on a sport with just the minor leagues, and you can't call one organization the entire sport either.

Post #16   6/7/10 2:15:40PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
On a side note- am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they're advertising the game with "So you want to be a fighter?"

I saw a poster in Wally World the other day for it and I couldn't help but laugh. Somebody ought to grab these punk ass fat kids eating cheetos playing UFC Undisputed 2010 by the ears and drag them into a gym. Like a video game is going to make you a fighter, LMAO. So stupid.

Maybe that's just me and maybe I'm just being a douche. I couldn't help but laugh.

Post #17   6/7/10 2:22:23PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

That will save you some money but if sales don't pick up there won't be a 3rd version.

Then we could be in an even worse position because I don't expect EA Sports venture to do any better. In fact I think they'd be happy with these numbers.

EA's game won't have anywhere near the marketing push of Undisputed, it probably wont even be allowed advertising space on any Zuffa run shows. On top of that the casual fan doesn't recognize more than a handful of fighters in the game, these are the fans that still call MMA, UFC.

To them it would be like making a football game using only players from NFL Europe, the XFL, and the CFL, and calling it EA Sports Football.

Somehow I'd like to see the 2 games come together, neither is a complete game IMO. You can't have a game based on a sport with just the minor leagues, and you can't call one organization the entire sport either.

You're right, CBS doesn't draw much.

Post #18   6/7/10 2:51:20PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

fat kids eating cheetos

Cheetos rock, dick!

Post #19   6/7/10 2:53:57PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

fat kids eating cheetos

Cheetos rock, dick!

that they do

Post #20   6/7/10 3:00:12PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,275-1,280
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

You're right, CBS doesn't draw much.

Its not like CBS is itching to show MMA anymore. I'd be shocked if Strikeforce ever gets another shot after Nashville.

Some fans saw the ads during the final CBS show but the game looked nowhere near as good as it does now and it wasn't available for purchase.

Post #21   6/7/10 3:13:07PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
I have a pretty good idea of why the sales are down.

Casual (video gamer) fans bought the first game and found it extremely difficult to play. And if you arn't a hard core MMA fan you're not gonna want to take the time to learn how to get good at the game.

I have some friends who are crazy at gaming and are also time to time UFC fans but found the first one too hard and didn't care for it as a result.

I honestly doubt no UFC Undisputed game is ever gonna sell as good as the first one did. Especially not if one is released every year. It would be cool if both the EA and THQ released there games every 2nd year except they both fell on opposite years. I'd always be getting both.

Post #22   6/7/10 3:34:18PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
The more I play 2010 the more I hate it. Mainly due to the submission system.
It's like going out and buying your dream car. Only it has a huge dent in the side of it.
I bought 09 and I bought this installment,but if the sub system is not drasticly changed I will not buy 2011. I maybe just coming off as a game snob but the tutorial pretty much neglects all changes to the sub system and rehashed last years instructions.

It's still a good game but most people I know concur the fact most fights end up being kickboxing matches that find you scrambling to your feet upon takedowns.

Post #23   6/7/10 3:39:14PM   

RecklessIndifference

Learning to Sprawl

RecklessIndifference Avatar

Career:1,745-1,069
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai
Online is where I think EA will mop the floor with THQ.

I think EA will be better in alot of ways, but I think there striking system will do them in.

I may be wrong, but I just dont think the Fight Night mechanics will work for MMA

Post #24   6/7/10 3:49:00PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
yea I bought it and played it for 3-4 days and im sick of it already

Post #25   6/7/10 3:58:16PM   

RecklessIndifference

Learning to Sprawl

RecklessIndifference Avatar

Career:1,745-1,069
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

The more I play 2010 the more I hate it. Mainly due to the submission system.
It's like going out and buying your dream car. Only it has a huge dent in the side of it.
I bought 09 and I bought this installment,but if the sub system is not drasticly changed I will not buy 2011. I maybe just coming off as a game snob but the tutorial pretty much neglects all changes to the sub system and rehashed last years instructions.

It's still a good game but most people I know concur the fact most fights end up being kickboxing matches that find you scrambling to your feet upon takedowns.

When playing the AI I totally agree. They are borderline impossible to submit. Which makes it almost impossible to create a submission heavy fighter b/c in order to learn new submissions you have to sub your training partner.

But when I'm playing my friends I find it way easier. Last night my buddy flying armbarred me in the first minute with Joe Lauzon...I couldnt even be mad

Post #26   6/7/10 4:01:41PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

Well MMA is a unique sport in which not everyones goal is to go to the UFC. Many are content to fight in the smaller orgs like Strikeforce and Dream. Every football players dream is to go to the NFL so Madden can make a game on just NFL. So in a perfect world all MMA would go under one video game banner. But, I dont think the UFC would ever be okay with joining together with smaller orgs to make a game.

Post #27   6/7/10 4:09:17PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I agree with the comment about a sport without seasons having an annual release. To be perfectly honest, I hate the fact that I own every inception of NCAA Football ever made. There's not that much changing as far as internal gameplay. I do think that EA MMA will get the buys because EA is known for their sporting games. The EA name alone could sell that game. Even if people rent it first and then buy it, they will give it a shot because it's EA. I'm probably the biggest MMA fan that I know amongst my friends. Many of them defer to me for wagers, picks, and explanations. That being said, many of the people I know bought 2010 and are more than pleased with it. The little of it I have played has left me wanting compared to 2009 but that's because I know better.

I have high standards, period, when it comes to fighting games of any kind because that happens to be my bread and butter aside from Mega Man. 2009 was definitely more user friendly and maneuvers were much easier to pull off, but most of the people I know enjoy really difficult games, so I don't know....

Oh, Jackelope, you aren't the only one that found that funny. I about died the first time I saw that commercial. I guess whatever it takes to sell copies....

Post #28   6/7/10 5:20:22PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by mshalosky

Well MMA is a unique sport in which not everyones goal is to go to the UFC. Many are content to fight in the smaller orgs like Strikeforce and Dream. Every football players dream is to go to the NFL so Madden can make a game on just NFL. So in a perfect world all MMA would go under one video game banner. But, I dont think the UFC would ever be okay with joining together with smaller orgs to make a game.

Gotta agree with you.
Their are things EA is adding i'm just going crazy over.
I love the fact I can fight state side in SF,then jump over seas to Japan and fight under totally different rules. As well as fighting in a cage!
But the UFC never allows for that option so I don't see them coming under the same banner just for a games sake.
The only way that may change is if EA MMA outsells THQ Undisputed the same way they took the thunder away from Tony Hawk with their own game.

Post #29   6/7/10 6:06:27PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
It's been getting some pretty poor reviews which doesn't help. Also, they released the game opposite to Red Dead Redemption and Splinter Cell Conviction, both of those games target casual and hardcore gamers and have been surrounded by excitement for years now.

Post #30   6/8/10 12:52:58AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3