Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Scott Coker Says No Bidding War For Shields, Tourney Possible

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker is "tossing around numbers" with the manager of his current middleweight champion, Jake Shields, but he will not get into a bidding war for the fighter's services. "If it works out (with Shields), great," Coker said. "If not, Strikeforce has a bunch of great middleweights, and we'll go into the tournament business. We're still fleshing out the details, but we're leaning toward that." Shields' manager and father, Jack Shields, today opened the door to non-exclusive negotiations – known as the "matching period" on a fight contract – after the fighter's exclusive negotiation period with Strikeforce expired earlier this week. If the two sides can't strike a deal on a new contract, said tournament could start on August 21 as an 8-man tournament with the winner becoming the new champion.

Article

Post #1   6/4/10 9:54:33PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It almost sounds like they don't really want Shields. I don't care for Shields style much but he is the one of if not the best fighter Strikeforce has at WW and MW.

Post #2   6/4/10 10:02:37PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'm going to make a prediction now that Shields signs with the UFC (probably not to a contract that he's entirely happy with) and that he will find some but not a lot of success in the UFC.

If he earns a title shot without it basically being handed to him by good stylistic match ups I'll be shocked. One part of me thinks they'll give him an easy road to GSP so that GSP can smash him. Another part of me thinks his road will have to go through Fitch, Kos or Alves and that he'll be relatively easily beaten by any of those 3. I would also pick Swick or Hardy over him.

Post #3   6/4/10 10:15:55PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I have a lot of faith in Shields....especially if he goes to the UFC where all the WW fighters except Fitch and GSP have forgotten that they can wrestle.

Post #4   6/4/10 10:40:24PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
So what Corker is basically saying is, if Shields leaves Strikeforce is with out doubt a lower tier company. Shields has dominated everyone he fought, his style mightn't be that exciting but he is without doubt a top tier fighter.
Their WW and MW titles will be completely worthless no matter who has them!

Why the hell aren't they prepared to fight for for their champion?!?

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   6/4/10 10:42:15PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I dont really care for shields, but a tourney would be cool, but also if he doesnt come to the ufc i'd be fine with that.

Post #6   6/4/10 11:03:38PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Polish that turd!

Post #7   6/4/10 11:11:55PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think he'll have some good fights in the UFC, I think Strikeforce will be more entertaining, a win for everybody if he signs with the UFC. I think Shields will hold his own in the UFC, but WW is a grappling division and I can't say for sure how he's going to do.

Post #8   6/4/10 11:26:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I wouldn't bid for him, either. That's absurd for Strikeforce. They aren't going to win a bidding war with the UFC and, more than likely, Dana would be happy to drive up the price and walk away knowing that Shields could never beat GSP anyhow. Subsequently leaving Strikeforce with an overpaid roster. Coker is playing it smart in my opinion. Tender him an offer worthy of his accomplishments in Strikeforce and if he declines or plays hardball leave the deal on the table and let him see what UFC has to offer him. Regardless of what Coker wants to do, people need to realize, if Dana wants him, he will get him.

Post #9   6/4/10 11:37:49PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think they are making a huge mistake. Basically the same mistake Dana made with Hendo.

Shields is one of if not the best fighters on their roster. I think he could easily challenge any of the Top WW in the UFC, GSP included. His wrestling and ground game are unmatched outside the UFC and I think they would fair well in the top organization as well. Do I think he would stop GSP's takedowns? Probably not. But he would hold his own grappling and if he could get on top GSP could be in trouble. What he did to Hendo was amazing.

Post #10   6/5/10 12:43:46AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Dana letting Hendo go was in no way shape or form a mistake. Hendo was trying to command a lot of money and in his first fight in SF Shields mopped the floor with him. Hendo probably wasn't going to regain that title as long as Anderson was there and he's not getting any younger. To be honest, I don't think Shields is all that big of a draw. There's talent in the WW pool. Especially since they can let go of Shields and sign Daley. Move Mousasi to a more natural fit at MW, possibly get an Alvarez-Melendez super fight. Bellator looks to be on fairly thin ice anyhow because they aren't putting asses in the seats. If Bellator folds in the future acquire some of their contracts and the organization will be just fine.

The only time I think it's a "mistake" to not pay a fighter out the ass or enter into a bidding war with a company that is worth almost 100x what you're worth is if you're organization can't or might not survive without him. Shields may be a good fighter but he's not megastar status. And, much like Jackelope, I think he will have some, but not much, success in the UFC and Coker can get him back cheaper than he would have paid for him without having to worry about Dana wanting him again.

Post #11   6/5/10 1:08:52AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I like tournaments. Fitch could out wrestle Jake imo.

Post #12   6/5/10 8:28:57AM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,416-941
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:
Shields could stay with Strikeforce and stay the champ or go to the UFC and collect a bigger check but probably be the #5 guy @ WW.

Post #13   6/5/10 9:47:02AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
If he stays in SF there doesn't seem to be much left for him and he's not going to get the big bucks or the exposure. So from a business standpoint it makes sense to go to UFC.
As for the tournament, the only name mentioned as a likely entry if it happens is Ronaldo Souza.

Post #14   6/5/10 9:57:15AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I think this is simply Scott Coker saying that he doesn't think Strikeforce can resign him. I'm pretty sure that Coker gave quite a bit of money to Dan Henderson when he came over. He thought Henderson would wipe the floor with Jake Shields. When it didn't happen it put a huge wrench in his plans. I'm pretty sure Coker already had in his mind he was either going to get Shields back for the same kind of money he was already under or was going to let him walk.

Post #15   6/5/10 11:30:16AM