Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Strikeforce champ Jake Shields' non-exclusive negotiations begin Friday

Print  
Posted By Message

Jshep714

MMA Regular

Jshep714 Avatar

Career:1,431-744
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields' exclusive negotiation period with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion has expired, though negotiations with the company remain ongoing.

Shields' manager and father, Jack Shields, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he will begin non-exclusive negotiations tomorrow.

"The options are all good," Jack Shields said, though he did not confirm whether Strikeforce had yet offered a new contract.

LINK

Post #1   6/4/10 8:21:54AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
This has the "LeBron signing" of MMA feel to it. "Where will Shields sign!?"

Post #2   6/4/10 1:44:39PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

This has the "LeBron signing" of MMA feel to it.

You're right. I feel the same way about this signing as I do the Lebron situation.

I don't give a damn.

Post #3   6/4/10 1:53:12PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Seriously, I don't care, either. This falls somewhere in between "Will Favre return?" and "Will the 2010 NBA Draft Class Hold A Free Agent Summit."

Last edited 6/4/10 1:55PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/4/10 1:55:41PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
id say fedor was much more like lebron. there are still people who consider themselves mma fans who dont really know who jake shields is, and most who do arent fans of his anyway (boring).

and really lebron is way bigger than fedor too in terms of what kind of actual impact where he chooses to sign could have. if he leaves cleveland and goes to chicago, thats like a billion dollar shift in terms of money brought to the cities over the course of his contract. fedor wasnt gonna make that big a difference to the "cities" of the ufc or strikeforce. probably more important for strikeforce, but i dont really see jake shields as being that important for strikeforce. their belts have no legitimacy anyway, so it isnt like thats a concern, and he is going to want more money than his name earns strikeforce

Post #5   6/4/10 3:25:04PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The Lebron analogy doesn't work, it would if he was considering playing in China or possibly looking for a home in the NBA Development league. Lebron is definitely staying in the NBA though.

I guess with Fedor you could say he is somewhat like Stephon Marbury, skipping playing with the best in the world to play in a second rate league. Although Marbury wasn't at or near the top of the sport when he went overseas.

Post #6   6/4/10 3:36:12PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I wasn't talking ability and revenue as much as what's being made of this whole situation. Everyone knows that as long as Fedor is under M-1's thumb he won't be signing with the UFC. Well, not everyone, per se, but knowledgeable people on this playground. Which, to be honest, are the only people I can really talk with extensively about MMA other than my best friend, who's, coincidentally, on the playground.

Anyhow, back to what I was saying. People are making too much about where he will go and that's what I meant when I said it reminds me of the "LeBron" thing.

Post #7   6/4/10 3:38:50PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Let me just clear this up so people understand what I meant.

Me saying it's equivalent to "Where will LeBron go" is one in the same with me saying "I don't give a f*ck." Wherever either of them go is wherever either of them go. Me speculating on it isn't gonna change the outcome or speed up the process. When either of them sign, we will have something to discuss.

Post #8   6/4/10 3:41:54PM