Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Boxer James Toney Says He'll Fight Liddell

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Fear_Wanderlei

Learning to Sprawl

Fear_Wanderlei Avatar

Career:148-109
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

I love MMA as much as you all...but Liddell wouldn't last one round with James Toney...sorry guys hate to burst your bubbles...but a professional striker beats Liddell any day of the week...remember Liddell is a striker and never goes to the ground...Toney would take his shots and land a few combo's leaving Liddell dizzy if not cold....but nice try I know your intensions are pure. Now if your talking about Fedor well then Toney has his work cut out for him.

Ummm, Liddell has the most feared hands in MMA, so if he can't then nobody is. You're way off base with that one.

Obviously Toney's going to have the same problem that Chuck has. Boxing in MMA is not even close to the same as professional boxing. I'm willing to bet that any pro boxers turned MMA guys will agree. Also, Toney won't get to wear those pussy gloves, he might hurt his hands a lil.

Chuck will just pick and chose strikes then take him to the ground and beat the **** out of him.

Post #16   4/19/07 10:44:27AM   

-Virus-

MMA Regular

-Virus- Avatar

Career:90-56
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Lidell is an exelent ground artist and would win on the ground im not sure about standing tho...

Post #17   4/19/07 12:16:36PM   

awechet

Learning to Sprawl

awechet Avatar

Career:123-84
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

I love MMA as much as you all...but Liddell wouldn't last one round with James Toney...sorry guys hate to burst your bubbles...but a professional striker beats Liddell any day of the week...remember Liddell is a striker and never goes to the ground...Toney would take his shots and land a few combo's leaving Liddell dizzy if not cold....but nice try I know your intensions are pure. Now if your talking about Fedor well then Toney has his work cut out for him.

Thats the thing if it was a boxing match Toney would kill Liddell but its a MMA match. If Toney uses the same stance that he does in regular boxing all Liddell would have to do is kick his legs and Toney would be defenseless and Liddell still wins the stand up match. I love boxing just as much as I do MMA but to actually think using pure boxing in a MMA match would be insane you leave your whole lower half of your body open for attacks and thats not even counting the takedown and ground work.

Post #18   4/19/07 3:38:24PM   

bywayofko

Learning to Sprawl

bywayofko Avatar

Career:268-158
Camp: Light Em' Up
Chips:
He would get taken down and submitted easily in the first round

Post #19   4/19/07 6:02:15PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Fear_Wanderlei

Posted by gimmper

Ummm, Liddell has the most feared hands in MMA, so if he can't then nobody is. You're way off base with that one.

Obviously Toney's going to have the same problem that Chuck has. Boxing in MMA is not even close to the same as professional boxing. I'm willing to bet that any pro boxers turned MMA guys will agree. Also, Toney won't get to wear those pussy gloves, he might hurt his hands a lil.

Chuck will just pick and chose strikes then take him to the ground and beat the **** out of him.

I think Gimmper (lol) was actually trying to make the same point I was... Chuck couldn't use his normal gameplan in a fight like this... And Fedor and/or Randy have been known to take fools down and GnP the living sh!t out of them...

Chuck maybe be proficient on the ground, but you have to admit that he doesn't use it all that much.. Except for the sprawl and his uncanny ability to stand back up... he would definitely have to use more leg kicks and body kicks... But to say that Chuck wouldn't have a problem standing or that he could pick and choose his strikes is a little bit of a stretch, no?

Post #20   4/19/07 6:29:30PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Take it from one who knows... the hard way.

Boxing defense (especially the cover-up that Toney uses) doesn't work so well when the gloves come off.

Liddell KO rnd 1

Would be even funnier to see Toney vs. Cro Cop. Toney's style and stance would be about as mismatched as that loveable Lucho Libre Dos Caras Jr.

Last edited 4/20/07 1:22AM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   4/20/07 1:21:39AM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Fear_Wanderlei

Posted by gimmper

I think Gimmper (lol) was actually trying to make the same point I was... Chuck couldn't use his normal gameplan in a fight like this... And Fedor and/or Randy have been known to take fools down and GnP the living sh!t out of them...

Chuck maybe be proficient on the ground, but you have to admit that he doesn't use it all that much.. Except for the sprawl and his uncanny ability to stand back up... he would definitely have to use more leg kicks and body kicks... But to say that Chuck wouldn't have a problem standing or that he could pick and choose his strikes is a little bit of a stretch, no?

Chuck doesn't use ju jitsu all that much in his fights, but to his credit we can't judge how good he is on the ground because we have bearly seen his ground work.

I can't imagine any pro fighter who is in MMA that wouldn't train the stand up fight and the ground fight. Obviously Liddell hits the punching bag a hell of a lot more than he rolls ju jitsu, but I'm sure he stills works submission defence and positioning, and I'm sure he knows how to choke a guy.

But I agree with you, Chuck standing and picking and choosing his strikes against Toney is a little far fetched. I don't think that would happen at all. Like you said he could work the leg and body kicks, but a good counter to getting your leg kicked is throwing a punch. Don't think Liddell would want to eat too many of Toneys punches ...

Would be an interesting fight, anyways.

Last edited 4/20/07 12:04PM server time by hook_tothe_body
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   4/20/07 12:02:02PM   

Sopena66669

MMA Regular

Career:30-7
Chips:
I would love to see James Toney fight Liddell... Toney better learn to check thoughs leg kicks in hurry if he wants to stand a chance and in the worse case sencerio chuck still has awesome wrestling to fall back on... And if he were to try and fight Couture he would get bent over so fast he wouldnt know where the hell he was

Post #23   4/24/07 12:04:28AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2