Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Boxer James Toney Says He'll Fight Liddell

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

Boxer James Toney says he's willing to fight Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture in a mixed martial arts match.

Post #1   4/17/07 12:26:08PM   

creativedestruction

MMA Regular

creativedestruction Avatar

Career:1,846-927
Chips:
make it happen!

Post #2   4/17/07 12:27:54PM   

methodman_90

MMA Regular

methodman_90 Avatar

Career:84-41
Camp: The One' Hitta' Quitta's
Chips:
Boxing is different from striking and he would find that out if he fought Liddell

Post #3   4/17/07 12:39:25PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
hes my favorite boxer, but i think hes taken too many shots to the head to think he can beat liddell or couture.

Post #4   4/17/07 12:39:41PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

hes my favorite boxer, but i think hes taken too many shots to the head to think he can beat liddell or couture.

Exactly!

Post #5   4/17/07 3:32:41PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Punch drunk.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #6   4/17/07 5:16:02PM   

VanellaL47

Learning to Sprawl

VanellaL47 Avatar

Career:210-138
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
He gets double legged by Couture he's in trouble....

Post #7   4/17/07 5:39:07PM   

gimmper

MMA Regular

gimmper Avatar

Career:394-246
Camp: duXup
Chips:
I love MMA as much as you all...but Liddell wouldn't last one round with James Toney...sorry guys hate to burst your bubbles...but a professional striker beats Liddell any day of the week...remember Liddell is a striker and never goes to the ground...Toney would take his shots and land a few combo's leaving Liddell dizzy if not cold....but nice try I know your intensions are pure. Now if your talking about Fedor well then Toney has his work cut out for him.

Post #8   4/17/07 6:04:39PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Chips:
If Liddell (or any MMA fighter who is a striker) was fighting a pro boxer, let alone James Toney, in an MMA fight, they would be an idiot not to take the fight to the ground.

Strikers in MMA still train ju jitsu, maybe not as much as they do on striking, but they still train ground fighting. James Toney most likely doesn't know how to fight on the ground. So why would Liddell not want to take the fight to the ground if it wasn't working out on his feet? (Which it wouldn't.)

Now in a boxing match with no takedowns, Toney would kill Liddell.

There is always punchers chance, though, no matter how small.

Post #9   4/17/07 6:09:57PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

I love MMA as much as you all...but Liddell wouldn't last one round with James Toney...sorry guys hate to burst your bubbles...but a professional striker beats Liddell any day of the week...remember Liddell is a striker and never goes to the ground...Toney would take his shots and land a few combo's leaving Liddell dizzy if not cold....but nice try I know your intensions are pure. Now if your talking about Fedor well then Toney has his work cut out for him.

I actually mostly agree with you... I don't think Liddell's counterpunching style will do him too much good against a good boxer like Toney... Maybe if he incorporated more leg kicks and basically tried to take him out of his boxing game a little... I guess he does have the power to KO Toney but I would say that it would be a punchers chance sort of thing (no offense to Chuck of course)

Now Randy or Fedor is a different story... I see either by brutal GnP untill Toney taps or they just decides to sub him.

Post #10   4/17/07 6:14:34PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
he'll find that mma is a lot different than boxing

Post #11   4/17/07 10:05:34PM   

chiefwiggum

MMA Regular

chiefwiggum Avatar

Career:140-72
Camp: whoflungpoo
Chips:
I'm not a huge Liddel fan but he would most likely pawn Toney. I doubt he would stand there and trade punches with a pro boxer. I'm pretty sure he would do what he always does. Punch and KICK. I'm betting by the end of the first round Toney would barley be able to walk from the leg kicks.

Post #12   4/17/07 11:36:57PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Chips:

Posted by chiefwiggum

I'm not a huge Liddel fan but he would most likely pawn Toney. I doubt he would stand there and trade punches with a pro boxer. I'm pretty sure he would do what he always does. Punch and KICK. I'm betting by the end of the first round Toney would barley be able to walk from the leg kicks.

You bring up a good point. Liddell could work the leg kicks and hurt Toneys leg, stiffen it up.

Post #13   4/18/07 12:43:08PM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:
It would be an awsome fight to see, ofcourse I'd give the edge to Liddell but James would have a punchers chance. Not a very good one but still a chance

Post #14   4/18/07 1:42:23PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

Hate to burst your bubble, but think Babalu/Liddell 1.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #15   4/18/07 6:10:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2