Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tito Ortiz Had Neck Fusion Surgery

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
According to Dave Meltzer, Tito Ortiz was finally allowed to speak on his neck injury after last night's edition of The Ultimate Fighter aired. Ortiz revealed that he had neck fusion surgery on March 15th. Back in February, Ortiz had a major scare after a training session. When complete, he went home for some rest and fell asleep on the couch, but when he woke up, he couldn't walk and was scared to death. He was diagnosed with bone spurs and a disc pressing on his spine, which started to cause numbness in his arms. Ortiz hopes to get back to light training in a month, and hopes to fight again in October or November. He still hopes to fight Chuck Liddell. He has a total of five fights remaining on his contract.

Article

Post #1   5/27/10 6:44:00PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I saw a pic of him after the surgery and he looked liked he lost about 20-30lbs...hope he fully recovers...I really want to see him fight Chuck a third time...pulling for Tito in that fight!

Post #2   5/27/10 7:32:19PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
In all seriousness, I hope TIto recovers and improves from this.

THat being said, i could really care less If i See him fight again. Before every fight he talks about how he's injury free, then loses or goers to a draw and blames it on injuries EVERY TIME HE LOSES. He begged for the chuck fight, got it, now he's injured again. In his mind, the last time he was "truly healthy" was the first Ken Shamrock fight, which of course, was when he had the belt but was fighting the fighters of today who, unlike Tito, have evolved.

In my opinion, Tito Ortiz Uses his injuries to cover up the fact that he no longer has what it takes to be a contender.

That being said, I hope his recovery is a successful one

Post #3   5/27/10 8:16:02PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Tito really needs to consider retiring and getting involved in MMA in some way other than as a fighter. Normally I'm not the type who will ever say "this guy needs to retire he's washed up, blah blah" but Tito seems to have a LOT of pretty serious issues with his back and neck. After like 3 surgeries you've got to start thinking about calling it quits. I'm actually sort of scared for the guy at this point. Next one of these articles might be about a permanently debilitating injury.

Last edited 5/27/10 10:33PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   5/27/10 10:33:28PM   

tapout420

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz recently underwent extensive neck surgery to repair fused discs that have been causing the fighter a range of problems, anything from sharp pains to numbness in his arms.

MMA Mania posted a graphic video from Titoortiz.com showing "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" before and during the grueling surgery.

Leading up to his hospital visit, Ortiz was filmed in Las Vegas explaining his recent falling out as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter, his neck issues, and how he can no longer fight hurt.

"About three or four months ago, I said that my neck was jacked, but I was still fighting and putting my ass on the line," Ortiz somberly explained. "I can't fight hurt anymore. I'm not going to fight injured. I never want to look for excuses. I always want to win every one of my fights."

He also expressed concern before the surgery, stating that he was afraid, and hoped his recuperation would not prevent him from making a swift return to the octagon.

"I'm scared, but Dr. Smith is a great doctor who does great surgeries. My lower back was hard, but I got through it. He said this is probably 10-15 percent easier, however much that is. Hopefully, this is the beginning of the last of my neck pain," Ortiz said. "No more headaches, no more numbness down my arms."

The last time Ortiz was in the octagon was back in November of last year at UFC 106, when he lost a split decision against Forrest Griffin in their controversial rematch.

Following the bout, the 35-year-old fighter received heavy criticism after attributing his loss to pre-fight injuries that were overshadowed by promises of being a healthy "new Tito Ortiz." Many fans felt misled by the whole ordeal.

Not to mention the frustrations his injury-prone career has caused on the reality show The Ultimate Fighter, putting an end to his coach stint against rival coach and personal nemesis Chuck Liddell. The Iceman is now slated to face Rich Franklin in a headlining bout at UFC 115.

"I was having trouble training, hitting mitts, and wrestling on The Ultimate Fighter. That's why they pretty much fired me," Ortiz discussed. "What I can do? I have to get the surgery so I can get back and fight again."

Most of the video shows Tito under the knife as a team of doctors opened up the back of his neck to drill, scrape, and jab with various medical instruments. At one point, the lead surgeon was operating with a hammer and what appeared to be a screwdriver.

Ortiz' fighting future is yet again in limbo, leaving a big question mark as to when he will be able to return to training.

Post #5   5/28/10 12:18:11AM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Tito really needs to consider retiring and getting involved in MMA in some way other than as a fighter. Normally I'm not the type who will ever say "this guy needs to retire he's washed up, blah blah" but Tito seems to have a LOT of pretty serious issues with his back and neck. After like 3 surgeries you've got to start thinking about calling it quits. I'm actually sort of scared for the guy at this point. Next one of these articles might be about a permanently debilitating injury.

If the guy wants to fight, I say let him fight. But if state athletic commissions rule the guy a risk in the ring, then remove him. I HATE Tito, and wouldn't mind seeing him kiss a few fists from Liddell as well as a few random strangers, but you don't ever want to take away a man's right to earn a living.

Post #6   5/28/10 12:25:23AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
This just shows you how hard the life of a fighter is. Bodies break down and back injuries and neck injuries are a REALLY big deal and jack you up the rest of your life. For those of who aren't pro athletes,most people get a back injury like his and it's game over---for the rest of your life---let alone conceiving the idea of going back and fighting. A neck injury...Tiger can't even play golf with his how is Tito supposed to fight. I'm with the guy that says Tito may need to start looking for a post fight career. These are human beings who aren't at our disposal for our entertainment. If he wants to fight cool, but I won't down him for being hurt. that's some seriously hard stuff right there. the stuff that makes you spend your retirement hobbling from one place to the other and addicted to pain killers. Bad.

Post #7   5/29/10 12:13:50PM