Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

'Rampage' Jackson ESPN Sportscenter video: 'I wasn't surprised Rashad called me an Uncle Tom'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/27/10 4:34:30PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Oh boy....shite is getting deep now!

Post #2   5/27/10 4:36:23PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I see it as the Pot calling the Kettle black here when Rampage says Rashad is always talking crap. Rampage has had something posted almost everyday for the past month of him talking junk on Rashad and from the amount of stuff Rashad is saying it's not even half of what Rampage has said. I know he hates Rashad and all that, but Rampage's mouth is the one that never seems to shut and he has always been like that, but seems he doesn't like when others do it to him. I'm just glad the fight is only a couple days so all the talking will stop. I just hope it lives up to all the fight and it doesn't end in 30 seconds or something.

Post #3   5/27/10 5:02:31PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

I see it as the Pot calling the Kettle black here when Rampage says Rashad is always talking crap. Rampage has had something posted almost everyday for the past month of him talking junk on Rashad and from the amount of stuff Rashad is saying it's not even half of what Rampage has said. I know he hates Rashad and all that, but Rampage's mouth is the one that never seems to shut and he has always been like that, but seems he doesn't like when others do it to him. I'm just glad the fight is only a couple days so all the talking will stop. I just hope it lives up to all the fight and it doesn't end in 30 seconds or something.

I hope both fighers are in good enough shape to go hard for 3 rounds if needed.

Post #4   5/27/10 5:08:49PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Rashad will gas himself out like he always does and when that happens look for Page to end it.

Post #5   5/27/10 5:46:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL the dude who graduated from college and who wears a suit and tie to every event calling Rampage an Uncle Tom. Classic stuff.

Post #6   5/27/10 6:22:37PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

LOL the dude who graduated from college and who wears a suit and tie to every event calling Rampage an Uncle Tom. Classic stuff.

I think Rashad Evans's insult stems more from how he perceives Quinton Jackson as personifying stereotypes to draw in white audiences, which is more in line with what the term Uncle Tom means.

article

The main idea coming from Evans (and Lawal) is that Jackson is "playing a character" to appeal to the white audience (which makes up the majority of the fanbase) with the chain wearing, howling and his willingness to spew catchphrases.

To be clear, I wish not to engage in a debate about race in MMA. I'm just trying to clarify why Evans said what he said, not that I necessarily agree with it.

Last edited 5/27/10 6:35PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/27/10 6:31:47PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Regardless of what Evans intentions were, or were not, he's calling race into question by making comments like that. It's not about what we think. I don't think I have heard anyone, EVER, call Rampage an "Uncle Tom" until Rashad. I probably would have never thought that in my life. Rashad is crossing, in my opinion, major boundaries by saying stuff like this. Rashad has an education from a fairly prestigious university and he does not articulate himself all that well, either. Regardless of whether or not Rashad believes that Rampage is playing a character, he doesn't really do much to separate himself as a distinguished college graduate. This is something that has bugged me about a number of athletes, regardless of race. If you dropped that much time on an education, carry yourself as though you've earned it and put in the work to be distinguished as such.

Post #8   5/27/10 8:06:34PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Regardless of what Evans intentions were, or were not, he's calling race into question by making comments like that. It's not about what we think. I don't think I have heard anyone, EVER, call Rampage an "Uncle Tom" until Rashad. I probably would have never thought that in my life. Rashad is crossing, in my opinion, major boundaries by saying stuff like this. Rashad has an education from a fairly prestigious university and he does not articulate himself all that well, either. Regardless of whether or not Rashad believes that Rampage is playing a character, he doesn't really do much to separate himself as a distinguished college graduate. This is something that has bugged me about a number of athletes, regardless of race. If you dropped that much time on an education, carry yourself as though you've earned it and put in the work to be distinguished as such.

Number 1. I don't think I would argue with you when you say that "no one has ever called Rampage an Uncle Tom."
Look at the man, he's a beast among men. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT NO MAN HAS EVER CALLED RAMPAGE AN UNCLE TOM.
Number 2. I think that, although this is a great move for fight hype, and things of that nature, there are certain things that are off limits between fighters IMO.

Tito Ortiz, even though I can't stand him, and he can be a bit of an agitator, no one, as far as I've heard, made any comments about Jenna Jameson to him in the ring. (no point now, I know.)

Last time I heard something like this, was Hector "Macho" Camacho vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, many years ago. Camacho said that he was "going to kick Chavez's ass all the way back to Mexico." Chavez responded by saying that he was going to punish Camacho for the whole 12 rounds, and wasn't going to KO him.

During the fight, Chavez proceeded to beat the hell out of Camacho for all 12 rounds, as he said he would.

That is some BS on Evans part.

Post #9   5/28/10 12:19:23AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by zxandu

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Number 1. I don't think I would argue with you when you say that "no one has ever called Rampage an Uncle Tom."
Look at the man, he's a beast among men. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT NO MAN HAS EVER CALLED RAMPAGE AN UNCLE TOM.
Number 2. I think that, although this is a great move for fight hype, and things of that nature, there are certain things that are off limits between fighters IMO.

Tito Ortiz, even though I can't stand him, and he can be a bit of an agitator, no one, as far as I've heard, made any comments about Jenna Jameson to him in the ring. (no point now, I know.)

Last time I heard something like this, was Hector "Macho" Camacho vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, many years ago. Camacho said that he was "going to kick Chavez's ass all the way back to Mexico." Chavez responded by saying that he was going to punish Camacho for the whole 12 rounds, and wasn't going to KO him.

During the fight, Chavez proceeded to beat the hell out of Camacho for all 12 rounds, as he said he would.

That is some BS on Evans part.

I expect a similar result with Rampage in this fight. He's going to make Rashad pay for those comments. Not that I want him to win. I like Rashad a helluv alot more. But I just think he WILL win.

Post #10   5/28/10 3:18:08AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Jackelope

I think Rashad Evans's insult stems more from how he perceives Quinton Jackson as personifying stereotypes to draw in white audiences, which is more in line with what the term Uncle Tom means.

article

The main idea coming from Evans (and Lawal) is that Jackson is "playing a character" to appeal to the white audience (which makes up the majority of the fanbase) with the chain wearing, howling and his willingness to spew catchphrases.

To be clear, I wish not to engage in a debate about race in MMA. I'm just trying to clarify why Evans said what he said, not that I necessarily agree with it.

Good catch. Evans is calling Page an Uncle Tom or was it Sambo? because he perpetuates stereotypes about black men being dumb entertainers. A couple of days ago there was an article posted here about that Muhummed Lawall weighed in on it too and I found it interesting. I'm more with Evans in this case. that said, between the two of them, Page is a very funny guy. His trash talk is just much much funnier.

Post #11   5/29/10 11:55:10AM   

mmafan106

Learning to Sprawl

mmafan106 Avatar

Career:120-98
Chips:
i dont think rashad is crossing the line i just think rampage getting to worked up over nothin and thats part of rashads game plan i guess page hating the fact somene out trash talked him for one he getting a taste of his own medicine

Post #12   5/29/10 1:00:07PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

i dont think rashad is crossing the line i just think rampage getting to worked up over nothin and thats part of rashads game plan i guess page hating the fact somene out trash talked him for one he getting a taste of his own medicine

Both of these guys are in each others' head. It's not a one sided affair. Rashad can't shut up about Rampage and vice versa.

Post #13   5/29/10 2:55:46PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Good catch. Evans is calling Page an Uncle Tom or was it Sambo? because he perpetuates stereotypes about black men being dumb entertainers. A couple of days ago there was an article posted here about that Muhummed Lawall weighed in on it too and I found it interesting. I'm more with Evans in this case. that said, between the two of them, Page is a very funny guy. His trash talk is just much much funnier.

I'd like to point out that Muhammad Lawal was a training partner with Rashad Evans for this fight and that his personality is meticulously crafted as well. Everything he says on this fight, especially about the part that Rampage has nothing but a punch, should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have a lot of problems with Quinton Jackson, but I really wish there was a different person to verbally counter the bully than Rashad Evans.

Last edited 5/29/10 3:12PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   5/29/10 3:11:59PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
That may be true Lohman, I personally have no contact with any of those guys so I don't know what they are like personally. I have mutual friends who train or have trained with them and all of them have good things to say about Rampage or Rashad personally. On the other hand, it's the "public persona" that Rashad is going after. I really haven't seen Rashad craft a public persona---certainly King Mo does but I thought he made some good points about race and MMA in a different article I read so I want to hear more from him.

Either way, I think race and MMA should be dealt with, but I wouldnt want to deal with it online on a message board where people aren't face to face and can say outrageous stuff with no consequence--because that is utlimately what it devolves into.

Post #15   5/31/10 1:02:40PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2