Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Henderson Wants Another Crack At Shields, Would Fight Mousasi

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
Dan Henderson is looking to get back into the cage following a tough loss to Jake Shields in his Strikeforce debut, and Hendo knows who he wants:

Post #1   5/19/10 1:05:43AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well if shields leaves then it would leave the door open for hendo vs gegard

Post #2   5/19/10 1:23:09AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Great two guys who couldn't stop the other fighter from taking them down. If Hendo comes back in the shape we all know he can be, this is a HORRIBLE match-up for Mousasi. Lawal is a great wrestler but Henderson is amazing. I'd want Mousasi as well if I were Henderson.

Post #3   5/19/10 1:51:05AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If Dan Henderson wins the middleweight belt and Shields leaves Strikeforce for the UFC, it will not help legitimize the Strikeforce gold in any way to make it seem equitable to the UFC's.

I think it is in Strikeforce's best interest to keep Robbie Lawler and Dan Henderson away from a title shot at the moment. Jacare vs. Mousasi works for me.

Post #4   5/19/10 2:27:53AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Mousasi just came off a title loss. II realize it was LHW but I don't think that giving a guy who came off losing his title in a decidedly convincing fashion a title shot against Jacare would validate the Middleweight title, either.

Post #5   5/19/10 2:58:24AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,399
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Hendo needs to let his back heal up. He looked stiff from the first 20 seconds on in.

Post #6   5/19/10 4:24:43AM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
I like the Hendo vs. Mousasi fight. I would like to see Shields in the UFC at WW first then maybe MW.

Post #7   5/19/10 4:34:13AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
A fight between the two is fine. Not for a title, however.

Post #8   5/19/10 4:40:14AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Mousasi just came off a title loss. II realize it was LHW but I don't think that giving a guy who came off losing his title in a decidedly convincing fashion a title shot against Jacare would validate the Middleweight title, either.

Before that title loss, Mousasi was the champion.

It's a different situation altogether; Mousasi would be challenging for a title at what many perceive is a better weight class for him, and Mo Lawal isn't jumping ship to the UFC right now so it wouldn't really stain Strikeforce fighters in anyway if Mousasi won the MW title and the man who beat him was still in Strikeforce defending at LHW. If Anderson Silva lost to Shogun Rua, for instance, it really wouldn't put that terrible of a mark on him as a middleweight champion or the UFC as a place where second-tier fighters fight.

It's unfortunate that this entire situation with Shields had to happen right now, since I would have bet the house on Jacare beating him if they fought.

EDIT: Not to mention Jacare actually holds a very weird loss to Mousasi anyway.

Last edited 5/19/10 4:49AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   5/19/10 4:48:20AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
lohmann

I'd like to point out a couple minor flaws in your logic while I politely disagree.

If Anderson Silva lost to Shogun Rua, for instance, it really wouldn't put that terrible of a mark on him as a middleweight champion or the UFC as a place where second-tier fighters fight.

Their two situations are not the same in the slightest.

First, Anderson Silva is a champion and has already fought for the UFC at LHW who knocked out the former champion in his first fight after he lost the title. Mousasi has not competed for Strikeforce in their MW division. To give him an immediate title shot without having competed for their company at MW is not akin to Anderson getting one and losing. One could argue that Anderson is far more deserving of a title fight at LHW than Mousasi at MW.

Second, Mousasi is COMING off the loss of his title, where as Anderson has not tasted defeat since joining the UFC. To award Mousasi an immediate shot at Jake Shields or a vacant title, regardless of if it's a more natural weight, is more akin to giving Anderson an immediate shot at GSP's belt if he loses to Sonnen.

Third, if you want to give Mousasi a shot at a middleweight title then DREAM should create one. That's where he fought and last won a GP at MW. The onus should not be on Strikeforce to jump fighters who've won in their organization to reward his accomplishments in DREAM. I understand that they cross promote but that only serves to further invalidate their title's worth if they count wins in one organization against another. In that case Gilbert Melendez should be both the DREAM and SF lightweight champion.

Post #10   5/19/10 5:10:21AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Did I miss something where Mousasi announced a return to middleweight?

Post #11   5/19/10 8:50:39AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Hendo was stiff, but still looked like he was sprawling well. However Jake was able to fight through Hendo's sprawl, by giving his back, staying on top and turning. I dont think Jake would get knocked down like he did last time a few times in rd 1, and I think he would win a ud. Hendo is a better wrestler but by only using his wrestling in defense, and being unsucessful, Jake will mount him over and over. Hendo should have taken jake down to mix it up.Hendo could not stop that mount or the pass, and he wasnt sweeping. Unfortunately for Hendo and Gegard they may be the better fighters, but have losses to good wrestlers. Hendo at 205 may be better. He had trouble cutting to fight for Anderson, and claims that is partly to blame along with not putting pressure that lost him the fight to Anderson.

Gegard should go to 185, but I doubt he will. Gegard vs Hendo would be great, but I dont know who would win. Mainly cuz Hendo could hold Gegard down on the ground, but usually keeps it standing these days. Gegard vs Hendo is the only big fight for SF besides Fedor Overeem. If not Robbie lawler vs Hendo would be good replacement fight.

Post #12   5/19/10 12:07:45PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,400-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Mousasi belongs at 205, he's already rail thin at 205, and King Mo really didn't do much other than what he had to do to steal a decision. Henderson is old and he's going to have off nights, and he was also coming off a long layoff. This is where Strikeforce's depth has it's problems, all of their biggest names are either coming off of losses or they don't have a fight that makes sense. It looks more and more like the UFC will swallow Strikeforce real soon if they don't start making more long term decisions.

Post #13   5/19/10 4:12:27PM   

spoofies

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-2
Chips:
Would love Hendo v Mousasi

Post #14   5/26/10 3:40:20AM