Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem: There Is Nobody Else Out There With The Speed & Technical Ability To Beat Fedor But Me

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
So he says. "I surround myself with people who have the same attitude, intelligent people which you can learn from and develop yourself. In the gym my sparring partners don't really like me. There's nobody else out there with the speed, technical ability and the sharpness [to beat Fedor]. I know how to turn myself into a very dangerous weapon." Said fight could become a reality should Fedor beat Fabricio Werdum on June 26.

Article

Post #1   5/18/10 9:57:58AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
My only concern is there are guys with great speed and technical ability, that are not as good as some of the best guys. Thiago Alves was considered a top striker in all mma, but GSP made him look silly imo on ground and standing. I am assuming Overeem is better than he was when he lossed to Werdum, but who knows if he can beat Fedor??? I am looking foward to drug test results for Overeem. Overeem may be technical but I think Shane Carwin is the best HW in the world right now. I can't prove it yet, but I also cant prove Fedor is the best either. We will have to wait and see. Regardless SF HW division is beginning 2 come around.

Post #2   5/18/10 10:17:49AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

i disagree with strikeforce's division coming around....having 2-3 marketable fighters isn't coming around, especially since roger's is now on a two loss winning streak. Werdum was beaten by one of the UFC's upcoming HW and dropped because of it, so that doesn't say much for his legitimacy in saying he can beat fedor...and Fedor himself is sketchy at best about getting to fights and finding people to fight..

As for Overeem, I think he has the chance to beat Fedor, and I hope it does, but I don't see it.

Post #3   5/18/10 11:04:47AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

and Fedor himself is sketchy at best about getting to fights and finding people to fight..

That's not entirely true. Remember that Fedor doesn't entirely pick his fights, M-1 Global does most of the dirty work.

Post #4   5/18/10 11:07:50AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Somehow I don't think if Alistair beats Fedor it would be his "Speed & Technical ability" that does it.

I mean does anyone honestly believe Alistair is faster and more technical than Fedor?

Post #5   5/18/10 12:07:29PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I don't think a fighter has to be faster than Fedor, per se, but fast enough to employ a "hit n' run" strategy. I thought Arlovski was doing pretty well until he got clobbered. I think if somebody can threaten to out-point Fedor, they might push him into taking a risk that they could perhaps capitalize on. Shogun's two fights against Machida - if you add them together and pretend it was one, six-round fight - are an example of what I mean. Anderson Silva could maybe do it. Other Top-10 P4P guys only lack the size (GSP, Jose Aldo, BJ Penn). And I think Overeem has a non-zero chance, just as I thought Arlovski would be a tough test for Fedor (and, like I say, I think that he was).

The people who have put some damage on Fedor have made the mistake of thinking that they'd hurt him enough to take him down a peg. Mark Hunt, Tsuyoshi Kosaka, Brett Rogers, Kevin Randleman and Arlovski all had Fedor in various types of trouble. The problem is that his ability to fight through trouble, keep his wits about him and adapt is simply unmatched. In a sense, Fedor's not really in trouble when he's in trouble. Still, if those guys could have kept the pressure on without making a mistake, they might have been onto something. Easier said than done, obviously.

Post #6   5/18/10 2:26:18PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
My geuss would be his power would be his best weapon. His strikes land with a lot more power than AA, and Timmah. Even more so than Rogers. I hope this fight goes down.

Post #7   5/18/10 5:46:59PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

The people who have put some damage on Fedor have made the mistake of thinking that they'd hurt him enough to take him down a peg. Mark Hunt, Tsuyoshi Kosaka, Brett Rogers, Kevin Randleman and Arlovski all had Fedor in various types of trouble. The problem is that his ability to fight through trouble, keep his wits about him and adapt is simply unmatched. In a sense, Fedor's not really in trouble when he's in trouble. Still, if those guys could have kept the pressure on without making a mistake, they might have been onto something. Easier said than done, obviously.

This is spot on. Fedor has an unbelievable ability to keep his composure regardless of what is going on around him. That's, honestly, what I think his legend is. So few fighters have been in that much trouble and pulled out the wins. If Overeem can finish props to him but it seems like an uphill climb.

Post #8   5/18/10 5:57:05PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
fedor has looked vulnerable, and at times technically inferior, against many of his opponents over the years.
it will be someone who is also mentally strong that will eventually finish the job against fedor.

Post #9   5/18/10 8:59:57PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Somehow I don't think if Alistair beats Fedor it would be his "Speed & Technical ability" that does it.

I mean does anyone honestly believe Alistair is faster and more technical than Fedor?

In what way?

I think Alistair Overeem's striking technique, especially when he utilizes leg kicks, is vastly superior to the sort of winging overhands Fedor constantly throws.

The reason this fight interests me is because of that but also because Fedor generally initiates takedowns from the clinch, and Alistair Overeem's clinchwork has looked deadly in the past. Considering Overeem's issues with his gas tank, I think the first round in a potential Fedor matchup will present Fedor with his most difficult challenge ever.

Man, I really want to see this fight.

(And no, nobody at heavyweight is faster than Fedor.)

Post #10   5/18/10 9:12:11PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
Arlovski was certainly faster and more technical than Fedor and he got put to sleep.

Overeem's gas tank is questionable. 1 round of grappling with fedor and he'll be gassed. my prediction, Fedor by arm bar in round 2. and thats assuming Overeem passes a drug test in the first place.

Post #11   5/18/10 9:12:19PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I agree, Fedor has the fastest handspeed at HW. But maybe Overeem has faster foot speed. Fedor has deadly power, Overeem has has better teqnicue on the feet. Fedor is a better tech. mma fighter, especially on the ground.

Post #12   5/18/10 9:38:58PM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
I can't wait to see this fight, I think Alistair has as good of shot as any one else, I think he has the skills to do it, if he keeps his mind and training in line.
Who else is there (out side of the UFC) Josh IMO could possibly do it if he would pull his head out.

Post #13   5/19/10 5:01:37AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Barnett is much better at catch-wrestling than he is with his handwork. I believe that was just another grappler vs. complete fighter match. Fedor's accomplishments in Sambo are akin to Maia's BJJ skills. Fedor is also much better standing up. I never thought that was a good match-up for Barnett.

Post #14   5/19/10 5:20:51AM   

BLUECOLLARWARRIOR

Learning to Sprawl

BLUECOLLARWARRIOR Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Overeem must not think too much of the UFC HWs or other HWs for that matter or hes just saying Fedor Is the best other than himself.

Post #15   5/19/10 10:08:02AM