Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Andrei Arlovski: 'I'm 15-8 right now and it's horrible'

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I feel kind of upset because I put down my trainers. We had a great camp. I don't know, after 11 months (out of action) it's kind of hard to come back, but I think I did okay. I took his couple of shots on my chin. I guess I showed the fans my chin's not weak. It was a tough fight. He's tough. It just wasn't my night. Right now I'm focused on my MMA career because when I took the fight on short notice against Brett Rogers my mind was focused on my pro boxing and as a result he knocked my ass out in less than 20 seconds. Of course I wanted to box, but in MMA I have three losses in a row. I'm 15-8 right now and it's horrible. I just have to train I guess even harder and try to fight even harder. I feel great. I could fight maybe tomorrow. It's up to Scott Coker. I want to fight, fight, fight.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/17/10 3:53:41PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Can't fault Andrei's heart or chin in that fight. After a year off he made it a good, competitive fight against a dangerous HW.
I can't wait to see him come back and see if he can make a run at the HW title. He has all the skills to be a serious threat in any company. I can't wait to see him fighting regularly again.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/17/10 3:56:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Andrei and Big Timmy have kinda been in the same boat since they left the UFC.

Post #3   5/17/10 5:41:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I thought Andrei looked the best he had ever looked against Nelson and Rothwell.

Post #4   5/17/10 5:58:45PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I thought Andrei looked the best he had ever looked against Nelson and Rothwell.

Yeah he was on it against both those guys. Hell, AA even looked great in losing to Fedor.
I still prefer to cling their decline is due to the Fedor curse.

Post #5   5/17/10 7:45:48PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
But didnt nelson have AA in a bad spot and then the fight just got stood up or something I cant remember exactly.

Last edited 5/17/10 9:00PM server time by twenty20dollars
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   5/17/10 8:59:43PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
ya, they stood it up from side control i think, but not like he was in the middle of transitioning to an arm bar and got stood up or something. it was somewhat suspect though.

at any rate freddie roach and the rest ruined him as an mma fighter. hes basically as well rounded as any fighter in the game. where are the kicks, the leglocks, the **** that made him ferocious just 2 or 3 years ago? he needs to go beast mode and try and destroy his opponent, not try and outpoint him over a 12 round boxing match

Post #7   5/17/10 9:24:30PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by noahgenda

ya, they stood it up from side control i think, but not like he was in the middle of transitioning to an arm bar and got stood up or something. it was somewhat suspect though.

at any rate freddie roach and the rest ruined him as an mma fighter. hes basically as well rounded as any fighter in the game. where are the kicks, the leglocks, the **** that made him ferocious just 2 or 3 years ago? he needs to go beast mode and try and destroy his opponent, not try and outpoint him over a 12 round boxing match

Absolutely!!

Post #8   5/17/10 11:49:39PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Fedor doesn't just beat people, he damages their desire to fight somehow. Nogueira is one of the few who didn't start a steady decline after losing to him, heh.

I don't think Arlovski looked all that bad to be honest. Bigfoot's size is difficult for anyone to deal with.

Post #9   5/18/10 12:26:10AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't think Arlovski looked all that bad to be honest. Bigfoot's size is difficult for anyone to deal with.

I don't know. I thought Arlovski looked out of place in MMA. With the amount of work Arlovski's put into his boxing, he should have held considerable advantages over Bigfoot striking. Instead he looked slow and seemed to be always out of reach.

It's interesting to me that Bigfoot would follow combinations up with clinches. I think he may have heard rumblings about Arlovski continuing to work the kinks out of his boxing, which he did through his improved jab, but neglecting everything else about MMA, especially, considering his strengths, distance-creating kicks and his right hand.

Arlovski should dump training almost exclusively with Freddie Roach. He really doesn't need to work on that stuff anymore.

Post #10   5/18/10 1:17:59AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree with what other people in here are saying. Arlovski's boxing definitely seems to have improved from his tiime with Roach. And his chin was proven against Bigfoot. But the increase in his boxing has been at the cost of the rest of his skills. He needs to forget boxing for a while and think about kicking, clinching, and grappling.

Post #11   5/18/10 2:28:13AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,954-1,208
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
i think the sport has progressed beyond andrei...

Post #12   5/18/10 8:22:13AM