Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Andrei Arlovski.

Print  
Posted By Message

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
After another defeat is AA finished a hope not because he is one of my favorite fighters.But he has lost his last 3 fights and is 5-5 in his last 10 and thats not to good a record for the one time most feared heavyweight in the world.The 3 fighters he has lost to recently are good fighters but i thought he wud win all 3 even against Fedor.However he lost them all and now am starting to thing was AA over rated in the first place because the guys on his record who he did beat where not great fighters.The one's he has lost to are very good so is it that AA is just not on that level anymore or was he ever at that level.Or is it that the fighters are just getting better now.What do you guys think he shud change about his traning or is it to late for him now?

Post #1   5/16/10 3:20:55PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
we were talking about AA last night and he was really only the most feared HW for a few fights, but since there werent as many cards being put on by the ufc as there are now it was a longish period of time. im not saying AA wasnt that good or anything, but his run as the man wasnt as long as people, myself included, seem to think.

Post #2   5/16/10 3:46:29PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,246-1,208
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Now that I think of it, he may have been overhyped a bit. He had a few nice wins but I think the competition has improved with the times. He did have a nice 6 and 5 fight win streak against good to very good opponents at the time. I think his mouth guard might have had a part to play in it. Kind of added to his mystique.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   5/16/10 3:58:04PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I was thinking about this this morning and definitely feel that there is a clear changing of the guard occurring in the heavyweight division...I think other than Fedor staying at the top of the division there has certainly been a large influx of new names in the top ten: from shane carwin, cain velasquez, and Junior Dos Santos...I myself had Brett Rogers in my top ten(and I think I'm gonna leave him at number ten for the time being...I think Bigfoot is probably one more decent fight away from getting into mine(I'd like to see him vs Rogers)...Arlvoski out, Barnett- out...RAndy Couture- out, I believe less than two years ago Sergei Kharitonov was skirting alot of peoples list...Allistair is still a young man hitting his prime and he impressed me I consider him as part of the new guard and Arlovski is just another name on the list of former top level guys who just aren't there anymore.
Oh and how could I forget about Brock

Post #4   5/16/10 4:07:14PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,802-1,135
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think the overall look of AA really added to his toughness plus the type of wins like the buentello win along with the quick Sylvia win built him up but overall he has the looks of a champion imo the skills to be a champion again i don't think he is ready to be let go by strikeforce maybe we will see him in a belletor hw tourney or a dream tourney would still like to see him fight overeem

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #5   5/16/10 5:36:22PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

i think the overall look of AA really added to his toughness plus the type of wins like the buentello win along with the quick Sylvia win built him up but overall he has the looks of a champion imo the skills to be a champion again i don't think he is ready to be let go by strikeforce maybe we will see him in a belletor hw tourney or a dream tourney would still like to see him fight overeem

I think Overeem would kill him but idk why everyone expects so much. he is the old guard. evolving, but ending.

Post #6   5/17/10 12:27:09AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The truth on Arlovski is somewhere in the middle. I think he has an array of impressive skills, but he's not as strong as many of the other heavyweights, and his skills always seem a little robotic. He's a good boxer, he's good at sambo, he's got good kicks, but they come one at a time and you just don't see the smoothness that makes Fedor great. He was elite at a time when the heavyweights were not very good all around.

Post #7   5/17/10 12:18:09PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

The truth on Arlovski is somewhere in the middle. I think he has an array of impressive skills, but he's not as strong as many of the other heavyweights, and his skills always seem a little robotic. He's a good boxer, he's good at sambo, he's got good kicks, but they come one at a time and you just don't see the smoothness that makes Fedor great. He was elite at a time when the heavyweights were not very good all around.

That makes a lot of sense actually I never thought about that.

Post #8   5/17/10 1:19:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I've always thought that there was more hype surrounding AA than anything. People have hit the nail on the head in this particular thread. When Arlovski was at the top of the UFC there weren't all that great of heavyweights. Sure, he was able to finish fights quickly but when he lost he looked really bad doing it. That "one leg kick at a time" statement is pretty much the story of the third fight between him and Sylvia.

I am seriously not bashing AA. I've always had a soft spot for him, I just think that the depth of the heavyweight division during his reign is more telling about his legacy than anything else.

Post #9   5/17/10 6:58:54PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
AA was what the UFC needed at the time.
A marketable HW fighter that was entertaining. I don't think AA was really overrated or anything like that,I think the HW division just grew up so fast in the past few years that fighters like Arlovski get stuck in the middle of the mix.

Post #10   5/17/10 7:02:14PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
He was definitely what the UFC needed at that time. I was always impressed by the fact that, despite having a Sambo base, he was really explosive on his feet.

Post #11   5/17/10 7:30:50PM