Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rashad Evans Is A "Step Backward", But Nice "Warmup" For Quinton Jackson

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And in a recent interview with Fighters Only magazine, he even sounded a little like the Quinton Jackson of old. "I want to go get Rashad. Nice warm-up fight, kick his ass. Fight Shogun, redeem myself for my sleep, for my mind. Then go and beat the hell out of Forrest, retire him.... I feel like fighting Rashad is a step backwards, because he doesn’t have the belt anymore. But if things go right, this will be a nice warm-up fight for Shogun. If everything works out it will be nice. Everybody knows I took time off, it would be stupid to go right into a title fight with Shogun so this will be a good test for me. If I lose to Rashad I don’t even deserve to get my belt back!"

Article

Post #1   5/12/10 6:52:29AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
So it sounds like rampage has a little plan to keep fighting for a bit but Im wondering what happens if his plan derails and he loses to rashard.

Post #2   5/12/10 11:03:19AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I don't see Rampage competing with Machida or Shogun at 205 no matter whether he wins or loses to Rashard.

I'd like to see him fight Lil' Nog or maybe Jon Jones just to verify where Jon Jones is at, but the Machida and Shogun matchups just seem like a tragedy waiting to happen.

Post #3   5/12/10 11:10:37AM   

gcraig22

MMA Regular

gcraig22 Avatar

Career:617-408
Chips:
After Rampage loses to Rashad, he will retire for good.

Post #4   5/12/10 11:12:21AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I don't see Rampage competing with Machida or Shogun at 205 no matter whether he wins or loses to Rashard.

I'd like to see him fight Lil' Nog or maybe Jon Jones just to verify where Jon Jones is at, but the Machida and Shogun matchups just seem like a tragedy waiting to happen.

i have to agree completely

Post #5   5/12/10 12:06:11PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

So it sounds like rampage has a little plan to keep fighting for a bit but Im wondering what happens if his plan derails and he loses to rashard.

Back to Hollywood, although that might depend in part on how The A-Team does at the box office.

Post #6   5/12/10 12:10:11PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:904-633
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Rashad will gnp Rampage ftw by ud. imo Rampage is a better boxer, but Rashad is the better wrestler. This will look like the Koscheck Daley fight, but theres a 50 50 chance Rampage could land his powerful right left hook imo

even if there is lay n prey this fight will still be exciting, cuz Rampage can end a fight quick, and Rashad almost got ko'd by Thiago at the end. I do hope to see Rashad make use of his heavy hands while postured up (e.g Forrest fight tko) and that BJJ black belt to end this fight while on top.

Post #7   5/12/10 12:31:31PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

...Rashad is the better wrestler...

I'm not sure I agree. Rashad always struggles with other wrestlers that actually try to wrestle with him, while Rampage has been able to negate top level wrestlers like Hendo, Lindland, and Randleman.

Post #8   5/12/10 1:00:42PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

...Rashad is the better wrestler...

I'm not sure I agree. Rashad always struggles with other wrestlers that actually try to wrestle with him, while Rampage has been able to negate top level wrestlers like Hendo, Lindland, and Randleman.

Agreed. This one has slugfest (for about 2-3 minutes) written all over it. Bust out the Stanky Leg again, Rashad...you're going to sleep, bro.

Post #9   5/12/10 1:27:53PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I would love to see a Rampage slam in this one...Rashad I think will count on Rampage trying to box and I do see another Thiago Silvaesqu performance from Rashad coming...now if Rampage can get in Rashad's head live Silva did towards the end of that fight then we may get to see that slugfest...either way it sets up a great title fight VS Shogun regardless the winner( though I'm rooting for Rampage)

--sidenote if Rampage loses then that sets up a Forrest Rematch quite nicely

--Also...am I late to the party on this theory...I find it really suspicious that the A-team is releasing the first week of June following this fight...seems like that adds a whole lot of promotion to this fight...the UFC is also showing a 3-part primetime series...and Rampage has supposedly already signed a contract extension...Was Rampage's "Falling Out" with the UFC an elaborate WWE style storyline to build heat and create the perfect storm of promotion for this fight?

Post #10   5/12/10 4:47:22PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

I think Rashad will gnp Rampage ftw by ud. imo Rampage is a better boxer, but Rashad is the better wrestler. This will look like the Koscheck Daley fight, but theres a 50 50 chance Rampage could land his powerful right left hook imo

even if there is lay n prey this fight will still be exciting, cuz Rampage can end a fight quick, and Rashad almost got ko'd by Thiago at the end. I do hope to see Rashad make use of his heavy hands while postured up (e.g Forrest fight tko) and that BJJ black belt to end this fight while on top.

You're assuming that Rashad can even come close to getting Rampage on the ground. Something that better wrestlers than Rashad have had massive problems with. Rampage is extraordinarily powerful and will use this to keep the fight standing. Plus, I see Rashad abandoning his take-down strategy after a couple stuffed attempts that cause him to eat some shots in the ensuing exchange. Daley does not have near the power and take-down defense of Rampage so that's a really poor comparison. I am with Fleek, Rampage by Stanky Leg.

Post #11   5/12/10 4:51:13PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I really... REALLY doubt that Rashad will be able to get a TKO/KO even if he can get on top. Rampage has a very solid chin, I think if Rashad wins at all, it will be by pretty boring decision via LnP.

The only real advantage Rashad has is speed IMO. Unless he can really utilize it well I think he will lose. Other than the Silva fight he was losing all of his last 3-4 fights for the majority of the fight.

Post #12   5/12/10 5:52:00PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
If Rampage thinks he's just gonna walk right through Rashad, he's in for a rude awakening. He thinks Rashad is a "warmup" fight? Rashad is a solid fighter with legit skills and a former champion. Also, Rampage hasn't fought in over 14 months. I'm gonna go with Rashad UD.

Last edited 5/12/10 7:07PM server time by ThaAxeMurderer7
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/12/10 7:04:15PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Rampage has plenty of clear advantages in this fight. It's not a warm-up but IMO it's a match-up that favors Rampage.

Post #14   5/12/10 7:23:53PM   

mmafan106

Learning to Sprawl

mmafan106 Avatar

Career:120-98
Chips:
I hope page thinks this cause he will be in for a rude awakening come the 29th keep underestimating rashad and see what happens who knows we might see rampage get stopped in this fight well atleast i hop going to be a hard task but this is mma anything can happen.

Oh by the way u call evans a step backward look at ur last 2 opponents wasnt even close to top 10 were wandy or jardine and he struggled with jardine he won that fight in the last 10 secs atleast evans is in top 5 and actually beat a top 10 fighter last fight so page should look up the fact before running his mouth.

Post #15   5/29/10 3:22:25AM