Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Quebec Athletic Commission investigating Paul Daley after UFC 113 sucker punch

Print  
Posted By Message

Jshep714

MMA Regular

Jshep714 Avatar

Career:1,336-702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Although the smoking gun is in plain sight, the Quebec Athletic Commission is conducting an investigation to determine whether to suspend welterweight Paul Daley's fight license.

Daley drew unanimous scorn this past Saturday when he slugged opponent Josh Koscheck after the final bell in a title eliminator bout at UFC 113. UFC president Dana White quickly condemned Daley's actions and said the fighter, who dropped a unanimous decision, will no longer fight in his promotion.

LINK

Post #1   5/11/10 12:24:55AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
It should be suspended, I don't see how it doesn't. Don't know if that is going to mean much since it's a Canadian athletic commission though. Not sure if the american athletic commissions will uphold any suspension they give him or not.

He should also have to forfeit some percentage of his purse.

Post #2   5/11/10 12:51:46AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

It should be suspended, I don't see how it doesn't. Don't know if that is going to mean much since it's a Canadian athletic commission though. Not sure if the american athletic commissions will uphold any suspension they give him or not.

He should also have to forfeit some percentage of his purse.

I think the situation can easily become much more serious for Daley though. The entire incident can be perceived as more than just a problem left to the QAC and Daley may be recommended to the authorities for committing assault.

Hopefully the entire problem is resolved and more athletic commissions (like Tennessee) take measures to define acceptable post-fight behavior.

Post #3   5/11/10 1:38:08AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Canada has much stricter laws regarding assaults in their territory. Recall the Todd Bertuzzi cheap shot on Steve Moore. Granted, Bertuzzi's cheap shot had much more serious medical implications and Moore hasn't been able to play hockey since. It's a possibility that they could charge him, doubtful, but it's there.

Post #4   5/11/10 4:31:33PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Canada has much stricter laws regarding assaults in their territory. Recall the Todd Bertuzzi cheap shot on Steve Moore. Granted, Bertuzzi's cheap shot had much more serious medical implications and Moore hasn't been able to play hockey since. It's a possibility that they could charge him, doubtful, but it's there.

Never compare those again. While I understand the point you're trying to make, the Bertuzzi hit was very close to life threatening, this hit barely raised a bruise. QAC should suspend him, and hopefully press charges. Maybe that'll set the precedent and make fighters think a bit more before they make post-fight hits.

Post #5   5/11/10 11:21:16PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I actually made the point that the Bertuzzi hit was an infinitely worse situation than this one. I clearly stated that the medical implications for Steve Moore have all but ended his career. That being said, Bertuzzi didn't see much of a punishment for what, I would hope nobody would disagree, was a far more devastating cheap shot. If memory serves me correctly he reached a plea agreement on the charge of assault causing bodily harm and received a conditional discharge with one years probation. The worst of his actual punishment came in the form of lost endorsements, forfeited salary, pending civil suits, and suspension from the league.

The point wasn't a comparison between the two action is was actually to point out that a far more serious crime during a sporting event received minimal legal punishment from the Canadian court system and, while Canada has taken actions like these seriously, I don't think Daley's actions come close to Bertuzzi's and not much happened to Bertuzzi.

If you want the comparison I DID make then you should see one of the other fifty threads (I can't remember which one it was in) on this subject where I made reference to LaGarrette Blount of Oregon and Brittney Griner of Baylor. Blount sucker punched Byron Hout after their loss, then punched his own teammate, Garrett Embry before going after fans. No criminal charges were filed there and Blount was suspended "for the rest of the season." Brittney Griner of Baylor sucker-punched Jordan Barncastle of Texas Tech and was suspended one game by her team and an additional game by the NCAA. Those comparisons are one in the same with Daley's actions. Sucker punches after frustrating losses or frustrating defeats. My point being that it does happen in sports (not condoning it) but I think that Daley will be impacted more by the loss of his job and sponsors then by the, almost certain, probation that he will receive from a country that he rarely visits.

Not to mention that upon the completion of said probation the charge will most likely be dropped as if it never occurred. This effectively renders the entire legal process moot. No point in pursuing legal action. Any decent defense attorney will have this plead down to conditional unsupervised probation. It's the equivalent of them sentencing me to probation in Canada. I'm never there, it wouldn't affect me, and at the end of my probation the charge wouldn't even be on my record. He lives over 3,500 miles from the scene of the "crime."

Last edited 5/12/10 12:07AM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   5/11/10 11:45:44PM