Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

strikers with short reach

Print  
Posted By Message

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for footage on pro fighters (thai boxing, k1, MMA, boxing) basically anybody who's successful striking with shorter reach.

names or bouts where it was successfully used would be stellar.

Background:

Im about 6'0 tall, ~180 and getting into thai boxing fairly heavily. My problem is that I have a case of the t-rex arms. No joke, my reach is about the same as sean sherks. I'm trying to develop my style, and I tend to be more of a counter puncher and like to stay on the outside. So i'm looking for anyone who's used that correctly in their fights. There's been a few fights where Marcus Davis has used his footwork to put him in good range for striking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #1   5/10/10 9:05:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Roberto Durante was a boxer with a really short reach. I'd also throw out Mike Tyson but his technique was never the best so I don't know what you'd stand to gain from watching him. Ricky Hatton and Rocky Marciano also had short reaches. 65" and 67" respectively. There should be a wealth of videos on those boxers.

Rocky Marciano

Last edited 5/10/10 9:19PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   5/10/10 9:14:47PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Those videos aside I don't know much about MMA fighters with a short reach. Joe "Daddy" Stevenson has a pretty short reach but I think you'd learn more from Ricky Hatton and Rocky Marciano than Joe Stevenson.

Post #3   5/10/10 9:21:47PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Matt Serra seems to have some success.

Post #4   5/10/10 9:28:55PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,479-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The one thing successful fighters with short arms have in common is a dangerous overhand.

Post #5   5/10/10 9:42:15PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

The one thing successful fighters with short arms have in common is a dangerous overhand.

It's all power trust me, defensive capability and power. No matter how technical i am against guys i always take an unfair amound of damage coming in so i have to do a ton inside.

I'm like a sean sherk build armwise.

My advice..... learn badass leg kicks. They help.

Post #6   5/10/10 10:07:12PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'm not a big video buff but I've got a decent amount of boxing experience. Staying on the outside and trying to counter with short reach isn't going to be the best way to go about dealing with your situation.

Boxers who fight in a ring with short reach do their best when they pressure opponents into corners and work body blows. Just remember that when you're fighting someone with longer reach than you (especially if they're taller than you) their weakness is going to be inside. So you gotta pound their ribs and work those short power punches if you really wanna be effective.

Just keep in mind that in combat sports where clinches are utilized this can cause a bit of a problem for you. Also one last thing I wanted to mention was how Mike Tyson utilized head movement and the position of his body to literally spring onto an opponent when they over-committed in their offense. In that sense you can be a "counter puncher" but I wouldn't rely on slipping or slapping jabs to start counters with your own jab. Also- are you a south paw or orthodox stance?

Post #7   5/10/10 10:10:48PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
You know the funniest part about your post, Jackelope, I was just finishing getting ready for my evening thinking about this topic and I swear to god, I was just posting on here that the person to ask about this would probably be Jackelope. Low and behold, you ole' rascal, you'd already posted. Stole my thunder.

Post #8   5/10/10 10:16:51PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
Im orthodox, and ironically, i have decently long legs. I try to utilize a lot of footwork, to stay just inside their range, backing out or slipping when i see the punch coming, and moving in with strikes while their hands are still away.

the style i go for is like how marcus davis fought paul kelly, but i try to be more aggressive. floating in and out of range and countering.

Im spending more time on my thai clinch, which is a good place for me with long legs and short arms.

I find it hard to work inside in my gym, since we dont practice in a ring, it's a lot of 'outside' sparring.

I know im sort of chosing the wrong path for myself as a striker, but I have decent reflexes and for some reason i just like it, I was wondering if any successful pro fighters fought that way.

Post #9   5/10/10 10:57:22PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well it's good you're orthodox. I was gonna say that if you're trying to counter as a person with shorter reach you could be in a lot of trouble if you're south paw. That kind of style is just tailor made for getting blasted with powerful straight right hands when you're a southpaw fighting orthodox fighters.

You sound like you have an interesting build. Not really sure if I've ever seen anyone built that way.

I don't want to sit here and sound like I know everything about every style, either. By all means I don't at all. More than likely your trainer is going to have a lot better idea of what your strengths and weaknesses are and how you can improve your skillset best. You can always ask him if you have one that's reputable. I do know that if I had long legs (which I do) I'd use them to my advantage every chance possible. Possibly set up combinations and effective use of the hands by utilizing your kicks more often.

Post #10   5/10/10 11:28:46PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I've got the exact opposite problem. I'm 6'6" with a long reach and REALLY long legs. I like to use my height and reach to keep people at bay. My problem is my Muay Thai kicks. You can see them coming from a mile away which allows people to get in close. Luckily for me I learned BJJ before I learned any stand-up. Most people don't peg a guy my size to have an ample ground game. They figure striker first. I'm the exact opposite.

Post #11   5/10/10 11:49:17PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Well it's good you're orthodox. I was gonna say that if you're trying to counter as a person with shorter reach you could be in a lot of trouble if you're south paw. That kind of style is just tailor made for getting blasted with powerful straight right hands when you're a southpaw fighting orthodox fighters.

You sound like you have an interesting build. Not really sure if I've ever seen anyone built that way.

I don't want to sit here and sound like I know everything about every style, either. By all means I don't at all. More than likely your trainer is going to have a lot better idea of what your strengths and weaknesses are and how you can improve your skillset best. You can always ask him if you have one that's reputable. I do know that if I had long legs (which I do) I'd use them to my advantage every chance possible. Possibly set up combinations and effective use of the hands by utilizing your kicks more often.

Yeah souds like a real fast front kick is is going to be a great jab for you. You can mix your leg kicks in and then I like to trow a what looks like a leg kick but just before coming down with it use your hip flexor and turn it into a front kick it works real well when you slow the leg kick down enough for them to attempt to check it switch to the front. Then you set down out of the front kick and you are in tight for your hand combonations.

Post #12   5/11/10 4:33:26PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,916-1,066
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Although im much shorter than you, i have about the same reach and i normally spar with rangier people.

For me the thing thats improved my game the most has been footwork. The more adept you become at rolling your momentum forward(heel to toe action) and springing the better youll be able to fight on the outside with a smaller reach.

Post #13   5/12/10 5:56:46AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
In the kickboxing realm, "Iron" Mike Zambidis is probably your best bet for video.

I have a short reach as well, so just work on tight boxing defense, very strong footwork to help close that gap and get out fast, and short punches. Rocky Marciano made a career off of brutal body hooks, as it was the best punch he could throw with his build. Guys would piss blood for three weeks after fighting him.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #14   5/13/10 1:35:43AM