Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How good did The Talent Alan Belcher look?

Print  
how close is Belcher to a title shot?
He is the #1 contender! 2 5%
Needs to fight Vitor to figure out the #1 13 32%
#2 behind Belfort 7 17%
Nowhere near a title shot! 19 46%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
This guy continues to impress me. His plan last night was to take it straight to Cote and he did. His MT striking looked great and his Jits was just as good. I dont think him Calling out Anderson is that far off? Maybe a fight between Belcher and Belfort to determine who gets the next shot!?!?!? Either way he continues to improve and looks better in every fight. Whats the PG"s thoughts on Alan "The Talent" Belcher"?

Post #1   5/9/10 5:59:18PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,253-1,327
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Im a HUGE Belcher fan but he did get hit a fair amount and would need to see the fight again but I thought Cote won the first round. On that note, Belcher did win and Id like to see how he stacks up with Bisping and maybe winner of Rousimar/Marquardt before getting Anderson.

Post #2   5/9/10 6:08:59PM   

vinny_cro_cop_q

MMA Regular

vinny_cro_cop_q Avatar

Career:181-138
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Im a HUGE Belcher fan but he did get hit a fair amount and would need to see the fight again but I thought Cote won the first round. On that note, Belcher did win and Id like to see how he stacks up with Bisping and maybe winner of Rousimar/Marquardt before getting Anderson.

Agreed

Post #3   5/9/10 6:28:41PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I had belcher winning the first, though i believe Cote was winning the second before the Piledriver awesomeness.

Belcher looked a little disappointing to me. Cote managed to hit him more than i thought, though he showed decent resiliance. But that was also a fight Cote should not have been able to win, and Belcher wasnt lighting him up like a firecracker.

Overall id say Belcher is still far removed from the title shot picture. There's Sonnen and Belfort at the plate and on deck. Marquardt, Maia, and Okami are all not far removed from shots themselves. Then you have, Akiyama & Wanderlei, who have to be ahead of belcher because belcher lost to The sexy one. Thats seven people ahead of him, and he needs to beat 1 or 2 of those types of names to garner a title shot before Anderson defends the belt twice.

I say give him a Marquardt or Belfort if he thinks he can handle it, its his onlyof getting to a title shot. If he wants it so bad, why deny him? Both might appreciate a warm-up match before Anderson, if they can make it back to the top of the heap.

Post #4   5/9/10 6:53:52PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
how do impress when you're getting your ass rocked and you illegally slam someone before subbing them.

Post #5   5/9/10 7:25:56PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I was under the assumtion that the slam was legal. It wasnt to the top of the head. He has a great chin and better strikes. This guy is going places.

Post #6   5/9/10 7:38:08PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Yeah, the slam was legit. To spike the head you must bring your opponent down head first to the mat in a manner which is designed to compress his spinal column (12 to 6 motion basically). That wasn't the case here. Belcher basically face-planted Cote. And frankly I thought it was great.

As for Belcher's improvement... The one thing that I was more suprised about than anything was Belcher's ability to weather the storm. In the past he's flaked out and wilted under similar pressure. Outside of that I didn't see any new wrinkles to his game that were unexpected. Cote looked slow to me, and I can only assume that ring rust was a big factor in this.

I had Belcher by UD and expected the fight to play out very much in the fashion that it did (with exception to the face plant of course). I think that had Cote been given a slightly lesser opponent for his first fight back he probably would have had more answers for what Belcher brought to the cage. But as it stands there was still a few things to be excited about for Belcher (aside from that awesome tattoo of his).

Post #7   5/9/10 7:49:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I had Belcher winning that fight, too. I think he looked less impressive than I would have liked him to. His ground game continues to impress me alongside his physical stature and conditioning, but his striking isn't living up to the hype. He needs to string together better combinations and stop relying on one hitter quitter power because he doesn't seem to have it.

Post #8   5/9/10 8:05:37PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Truth.

Post #9   5/9/10 8:09:47PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,419-833
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He looked good no doubt, but Cote was not the same fighter, so all in all it was still the same Belcher, I think he should fight Wanderlei or Bisping next just to see where he actually is at this point in time.

Post #10   5/9/10 8:35:40PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I thought he looked ok but I give him no credit for the submission. As the rule is stated the slam was legit but Cote clearly didn't know this. Cote puts his head up to look at the ref because he felt the slam was illegal and Belcher grabbed a free neck. Good for him for taking what he was given but it in no way shows me he has improved his ground game at all.

Post #11   5/9/10 9:10:06PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Chips:
I don't understand why everyone thinks he was impressive. he didnt overwhelm cote on the feet by any stretch of the imagination. only impressive part was the choke which was attained because of a face spike. no ground skill used to attain

Post #12   5/9/10 10:27:48PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I honestly can't believe he's being talked about as the next contender. I doubt he'd get past Bisping, Wand, Nate, Belfort, Maia, Okami (again) or even Cote if he fought him again.
I like Belcher don't get me wrong (mostly because of his awesome tattoo) but he'll get eaten up when he steps up in competition.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #13   5/9/10 10:31:56PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I honestly can't believe he's being talked about as the next contender. I doubt he'd get past Bisping, Wand, Nate, Belfort, Maia, Okami (again) or even Cote if he fought him again.
I like Belcher don't get me wrong (mostly because of his awesome tattoo) but he'll get eaten up when he steps up in competition.

this

Post #14   5/9/10 10:52:53PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
Anyone notice how he has a guitar under it now? i guess to signify that it's cash.

As to his skill, quit saying you'll doubt he'll win, cause he has won 3/4 recently. Instead say why you think he's lose, and then wait for him to prove you wrong.

Post #15   5/10/10 12:02:33AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2