Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rampage Jackson Vs. Rashad Evans discussion

Print  
Who Will Win?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 34 65%
"Sugar" Rashad Evans 18 35%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

SST

Learning to Sprawl

SST Avatar

Career:1,082-711
Camp: Middleeasy Monsters
Chips:
Posted by Bloodhound

but can Rashad even take Rampage down? the one time Rashad fought a top level wrestler (Tito Ortiz) he had alot of problems. If Rashad cant take Rampage down and I dont think he can Rampage is gonna KO him.

Rashad has demonstrated his wrestling skills much more than Rampage. Although T. Silva is not a wrestler, I noticed Evans copying GSPs takedown technique, that is driving through the opponent to nullify the sprawl.

As far as Rampage's takedown defense, I really can't remember the last time some tried to take him down.

I also agree that Rashad's chin is suspect, but hesitate to say it's glass like Arlofski's. After the Machida fight, then getting rocked by T. Silva.

Post #31   5/10/10 10:03:47PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:

Posted by SST
but can Rashad even take Rampage down? the one time Rashad fought a top level wrestler (Tito Ortiz) he had alot of problems. If Rashad cant take Rampage down and I dont think he can Rampage is gonna KO him.

Rashad has demonstrated his wrestling skills much more than Rampage. Although T. Silva is not a wrestler, I noticed Evans copying GSPs takedown technique, that is driving through the opponent to nullify the sprawl.

As far as Rampage's takedown defense, I really can't remember the last time some tried to take him down.

I also agree that Rashad's chin is suspect, but hesitate to say it's glass like Arlofski's. After the Machida fight, then getting rocked by T. Silva.

Jardine tried a few times and didnt even come close to taking Rampage down, but in the past the only people i can remember taking Rampage down is Henderson & Lindland and Rampage won both those fights

Post #32   5/10/10 10:37:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Yeah, Rampage isn't easily taken down. He's good enough to force Rashad into his element which is the stand-up war.

Post #33   5/10/10 10:44:13PM   

JJipp03

Learning to Sprawl

Career:6-5
Chips:
Rashad has always been my favorite, cannot wait for this fight

Post #34   5/11/10 3:17:00AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Rashad gets slammed if he tries to muscle rampage around at all. His takedowns have to be super explosive for him to get it to the ground.

Post #35   5/11/10 10:53:00PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
That's more or less what I am thinking. I don't think the push-through take-down approach that GSP uses will be effective with someone who has the strength of Rampage. He's more likely to get clipped coming in for one of those than he is to actually land it.

Post #36   5/11/10 10:58:52PM   

deezyo

MMA Regular

deezyo Avatar

Career:979-773
Camp: C.O.B.
Chips:
after taking a year off, i hope page is in shape. if he is he will win by k.o., if hes not in shape rashad by gnp clinic

Post #37   5/17/10 10:29:00PM   

placente

MMA Regular

placente Avatar

Career:90-62
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
im afraid you are wrong there bloodhound Kazushi Sakuraba did take him down and he got choked out. Still thou i dont think Rashad can pull it off, quinton is a way better fighter now, hard to take down, hard to submit, he can ko rashad at any second, and the only way rashad can win would be by taking him down, or mayb use the forrest's leg kicking strategy which i think he's not gonna do because he's not comfortable kicking

Post #38   5/19/10 1:36:56AM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Chips:
^^ That fight was almost 10 years ago and Sakuraba's jujitsu is/was so far ahead Rashad's...and that fight was years ago Rampage is a much different fighter

Post #39   5/19/10 2:23:34PM   

placente

MMA Regular

placente Avatar

Career:90-62
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

^^ That fight was almost 10 years ago and Sakuraba's jujitsu is/was so far ahead Rashad's...and that fight was years ago Rampage is a much different fighter

i agree that fight was years ago, but he did lose. Im not saying he's the same fighter, im saying if Rashad can take Rampage down and work a lil' ground game, he might have a chance.

Post #40   5/19/10 4:53:58PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Chips:
^^IF Rashad can get it to the floor he definetly does have a chance but I just dont see Rashad taking Rampage down

Post #41   5/20/10 9:45:31PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Personally, I think the term "glass chin" or "glass jaw" is thrown around way too much. A fighter who has lost via TKO/KO only once does *not* have a glass jaw, in my opinion. I think the term can only be used when getting KO'd becomes routine (example: Chuck Liddell).

I wouldn't say that that's your opinion, but rather fact. If I were to say that any MMA fighter has a glass chin it would be Jonathan Goulet.

Unfortunately MMA fans seem to think that a fighter has a weak chin if they get knocked out once; they have poor takedown defense if they are dominated once by a good wrestler; or they are prone to submissions if they get subbed once.

Post #42   5/20/10 10:06:49PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Rashad by split decision!

Post #43   5/25/10 12:54:35PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3