Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rampage Jackson Vs. Rashad Evans discussion

Print  
Who Will Win?
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 34 65%
"Sugar" Rashad Evans 18 35%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
I just think Rampage is a bad match up for Rashad because relies so much on his wrestling and Rampage is just as good a wrestler as Rashad imo. Rampage has fought and defeated Kevin Randleman, Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland so he knows how to deal with wrestlers and I believe Rampage's striking is superior to Rashad's

Post #16   5/10/10 12:50:14AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
BLACK on BLACK VIOLENCE!

No way rampage wins conditioning

Im taking rampage r2 tko, rashard may have speed but page can take those speed punches and then land his power on rashard.

I just hope this doesnt get rasharded and him turn it into a wrestling match, because I am probably going to order this event...maybe.

Post #17   5/10/10 1:12:35AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
What is up with people saying Rashad Evans has a glass chin? Machida hit him with a ton of powerful punches up against the cage before his eyes stopped seeing.

Rampage has exhibited extremely predictable striking in two of his last three fights, constantly looking for that left hook counter, and Greg Jackson's sort of gameplanning really puts a hurt on predictable fighters. Rashad is being terribly underestimated in this fight; if he throws more punches than Rampage, that alone may allow him to steal a round or two.

That being said, I'm still picking Jackson to land the bomb. Eventually.

EDIT: Actually, in his fight with Chuck Liddell, he found that counter, with a right though, immediately. The closer this fight is getting, the more I'm starting to lean Evans.

Last edited 5/10/10 1:27AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #18   5/10/10 1:24:30AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
If this fight would have happened when it was supposed to I would have picked Rampage without the slightest bit of hesitation.

Now I'm not so sure. We just have no idea what kind of shape Rampage is going to come in.

That being said I saw a particular hole in Rashad's striking years ago that matched up against Rampage's striking could spell a lot of trouble. I dunno if Rashad has patched it up or not but Rampage should be looking for it and hopefully will capitalize with a bang.

Post #19   5/10/10 2:01:28AM   

SST

Learning to Sprawl

SST Avatar

Career:1,090-723
Camp: Middleeasy Monsters
Chips:
Greg Jackson's game plan is predictable when his fighter's go up against dangerous strikers. Taking it to the ground (GSP vs Hardy, Evans vs Silva). I see Evans using low kicks and take downs and keeping out of range from getting KO).

Rampage is one of the hardest fighters to KO. It took Wand 10 plus knees to the face to KO him. I don't see Evans as a threat if this fight remains standing.

I don't know who will win this fight. Talks of retirement and ring rust make me hesitate to pick Rampage.

Post #20   5/10/10 1:59:11PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

What is up with people saying Rashad Evans has a glass chin? Machida hit him with a ton of powerful punches up against the cage before his eyes stopped seeing.

Rampage has exhibited extremely predictable striking in two of his last three fights, constantly looking for that left hook counter, and Greg Jackson's sort of gameplanning really puts a hurt on predictable fighters. Rashad is being terribly underestimated in this fight; if he throws more punches than Rampage, that alone may allow him to steal a round or two.

That being said, I'm still picking Jackson to land the bomb. Eventually.

Rashad does have a glass chin. If Thiago didn't gas so easily he would have knocked him out, too. He was half-way to a knock-out when he ran out of juice. But, I'll address it from your angle instead. So you say Machida hit him with a ton of powerful shots. I don't actually think he hit him with a ton of powerful shots before, but okay, I'll concede many. Who do you think hits harder, Machida or Rampage? I'm thinking Rampage. If one good shot from Thiago sent Rashad into lala land, what do you think a shot from Rampage is gonna do? I have yet to see Rashad take any sort of clean shot that hasn't really dazed him. That's why everyone comments about Rashad's chin.

Post #21   5/10/10 2:31:03PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:
Personally, I think the term "glass chin" or "glass jaw" is thrown around way too much. A fighter who has lost via TKO/KO only once does *not* have a glass jaw, in my opinion. I think the term can only be used when getting KO'd becomes routine (example: Chuck Liddell).

If you're taking punches and you get "wobbled" but you still win consistently (every single fight but one), that means you have heart. You can't expect a fighter to take punches and never get stunned. These are men...not machines.

If Rashad had a weak chin, he would have been knocked out by more guys than just Machida, who is/was considered one of the top p4p fighters in the world.

Last edited 5/10/10 3:03PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   5/10/10 3:01:29PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Perhaps I should be clearer. I have yet to see Rashad take a clean shot where he doesn't look like he's about to go to sleep. Sure, he has an enormous amount of heart but I think over time I will be proven right. Lyoto may very well be a p4p great but Thiago was a blip away from finishing him as well. Rashad not getting knocked out in that third round had less to do with him and more to do with Thiago just flat running out of gas. One more punch and Thiago's hand would have been raised instead of Rashad's. I definitely think that Rampage will see the same face everyone knows I am talking on Rashad about if he connects flush.

I will refrain from using glass chin for the moment as he only does have one loss but let's be honest with ourselves here, you know the stunned Rashad face. One solid shot allows you to see it. I can see Rashad suffering many more knockouts as he fights better and better competition. I'd imagine that most of Rashad's losses will be by knockout. He sort of makes that King Hippo face from Punchout when he's stunned.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2

Post #23   5/10/10 3:23:43PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
I'm certainly not here to convince you to change your opinion, but I will say that predicting a guy will be proven to have a glass chin, because you've seen a goofy look on his face when he got knocked out by the eventual champion, is a lot different than a guy actually having a glass chin. I'd say most fighters look pretty goofy when they're stunned or KO'd, so the 'look' really has nothing to do with it.

The fact is, he's fought through the adversity and has had his raised in every fight but one. Until that stops happening, his chin isn't weak. Period.

Post #24   5/10/10 3:31:08PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I know you're not here to do that. I'm really honestly doing what most people do on this site, predicting the future and analyzing based off what I have seen. I'm aware that Machida is an extraordinarily high level striker. I'm also aware that Thiago Silva is as well. I can honestly say, and I'm not the only person who's said this, that if Silva had anything at all left in his gas tank, that would have been two consecutive knockout losses in a row. I don't know how to put it into words and maybe somebody will come along and post what I am trying to say, but I just don't trust Rashad's chin. Something about the way he looks when he gets rocked makes me hesitant to pick him in any fight with a powerful striker. I don't know if I am making any sense at all to you but I just don't trust it. I have a feeling that he will suffer many more KO losses.

Post #25   5/10/10 3:37:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I know you're not here to do that. I'm really honestly doing what most people do on this site, predicting the future and analyzing based off what I have seen. I'm aware that Machida is an extraordinarily high level striker. I'm also aware that Thiago Silva is as well. I can honestly say, and I'm not the only person who's said this, that if Silva had anything at all left in his gas tank, that would have been two consecutive knockout losses in a row. I don't know how to put it into words and maybe somebody will come along and post what I am trying to say, but I just don't trust Rashad's chin. Something about the way he looks when he gets rocked makes me hesitant to pick him in any fight with a powerful striker. I don't know if I am making any sense at all to you but I just don't trust it. I have a feeling that he will suffer many more KO losses.

I guess I just try not to buy in to the "if's" of MMA. I only judge based on what *has* happened.

Post #26   5/10/10 3:47:04PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I wish I could think like you. Too much schooling. Damn Sociology. We have been trained to analyze and predict the future based off observations and it trickles into my every day life. It's unfortunate for me but I can't think any other way.

Post #27   5/10/10 3:50:59PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:

Posted by SST

Greg Jackson's game plan is predictable when his fighter's go up against dangerous strikers. Taking it to the ground (GSP vs Hardy, Evans vs Silva). I see Evans using low kicks and take downs and keeping out of range from getting KO).

Rampage is one of the hardest fighters to KO. It took Wand 10 plus knees to the face to KO him. I don't see Evans as a threat if this fight remains standing.

I don't know who will win this fight. Talks of retirement and ring rust make me hesitate to pick Rampage.

but can Rashad even take Rampage down? the one time Rashad fought a top level wrestler (Tito Ortiz) he had alot of problems. If Rashad cant take Rampage down and I dont think he can Rampage is gonna KO him.

Post #28   5/10/10 5:10:23PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
How is Rampage's takedown defense. I never really bothered to notice. I didn't watch the Randleman fight, but Hendo took Page down a few times with trips from the clinch.

Post #29   5/10/10 6:19:30PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I chose Rampage to win but with his long lay-off, this fight looks like a 50-50 pick em.

Post #30   5/10/10 7:31:06PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3