Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Worst judging descisions in ufc history

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
I remember Guida VS Griffin - I thought Guida was robbed initially then after watching it again it was close and I could see it going either way.
The worst was Bisbing VS Hammil
Then maybe randleman Rutten
on the wec the other night- Garcia clearly lost to Chan Sung
Some say Rampage did not lose to Forrest- What would lght heavy look like had forrest not won??
what are your top 5 worst mma descisions??

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   5/9/10 1:50:31PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:5,407-3,129
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
1. Torres/Guilard
2. Bisping/Hammil
3. Genki Sudo/Duane Ludwig
4. Uno/Penn 2
5. Prangley/Horn

Post #2   5/9/10 3:13:19PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Shogun/Machida #1
Penn/Edgar

Post #3   5/9/10 4:30:43PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Shogun/Machida #1
Penn/Edgar

Hard to disagree concidering the titles where awarded to the wrong fighters

Post #4   5/9/10 4:36:33PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,559-848
Chips:
Are we talking worst fight outcomes or worst single judge's score cards? Cause if we're talking single score cards that list is endless. Doug Crosbey's 50-45 for Edgar is probably near the top though. And I'd say that Edgar winning that fight is up there as one of the harder decisions to swallow since I've been following the sport.

One thing is for sure though- Bisping vs Hamill is NOT the worst decision in history. Throw in your UFC 75 DVD and watch it on mute without the commentary, the hometown crowd, and your preconceptions that the Count is an A-Hole and I'm guessing you soon discover how close that fight actually was.

I just watched it again a few months back and frankly I scored it for Bisping.

Posted by postman

Posted by RyanC

Shogun/Machida #1
Penn/Edgar

Machida/Shogun 1?! C'mon, really? If you want to replay the fight five times and count the number of strikes does Shogun come out on top? Probably. But one of the worst decisions in UFC history? Not even close. That fight was a nip/tuck affair the whole way through. Everyone makes it out to be a complete blowout for Shogun which simply isn't the case. It happened on a big stage which probably amplifies the "error" in judging (depending on what side of the fence you fall on). But even in a rewatch I can barely pick a clear winner. Far as I'm concerned that fight could have easily ended in a draw.

As far as Guillard/Torres goes: Ronnys was clearly the fighter closest to finishing the bout. But round three was the only round that he clearly won. If judges were more apt to use 10-10 rounds or if it was scored on a more japanese-centric scoring system than Ronnys would have been the clear victor. But given the current implimentation of the 10-point must system and most judge's stance on 10-10 rounds I don't consider this to be a poor decision either.

In fact, this entire topic is nothing but a big can of worms. I think we can safely sum up this thread and any posts that follow by simply saying that we need better judging in MMA. It really doesn't get any more basic than that.

Last edited 5/9/10 4:44PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   5/9/10 4:37:56PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bojangalz
Machida/Shogun 1?! C'mon, really? If you want to replay the fight five times and count the number of strikes does Shogun come out on top? Probably. But one of the worst decisions in UFC history? Not even close. That fight was a nip/tuck affair the whole way through. Everyone makes it out to be a complete blowout for Shogun which simply isn't the case. It happened on a big stage which probably amplifies the "error" in judging (depending on what side of the fence you fall on). But even in a rewatch I can barely pick a clear winner. Far as I'm concerned that fight could have easily ended in a draw.

Frankly I don't care to argue about this. . . in my opinion Shogun was robbed on the decision of that fight, and I will never believe that he wasn't. You can think otherwise, but you're not convincing me. After the outcome last night I couldn't really care less about that though. Rua won convincingly last night and the fact that he lost that decision before makes it that much sweeter.

Post #6   5/9/10 6:00:27PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Jeff Curran vs Takeya Mizugaki

Post #7   5/9/10 6:00:53PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Are we talking worst fight outcomes or worst single judge's score cards? Cause if we're talking single score cards that list is endless. Doug Crosbey's 50-45 for Edgar is probably near the top though. And I'd say that Edgar winning that fight is up there as one of the harder decisions to swallow since I've been following the sport.

One thing is for sure though- Bisping vs Hamill is NOT the worst decision in history. Throw in your UFC 75 DVD and watch it on mute without the commentary, the hometown crowd, and your preconceptions that the Count is an A-Hole and I'm guessing you soon discover how close that fight actually was.

I just watched it again a few months back and frankly I scored it for Bisping.

Posted by postman

Posted by RyanC

Shogun/Machida #1
Penn/Edgar

As far as Guillard/Torres goes: Ronnys was clearly the fighter closest to finishing the bout. But round three was the only round that he clearly won. If judges were more apt to use 10-10 rounds or if it was scored on a more japanese-centric scoring system than Ronnys would have been the clear victor. But given the current implimentation of the 10-point must system and most judge's stance on 10-10 rounds I don't consider this to be a poor decision either.

In fact, this entire topic is nothing but a big can of worms. I think we can safely sum up this thread and any posts that follow by simply saying that we need better judging in MMA. It really doesn't get any more basic than that.

tried to props but gotta spread the love.

Post #8   5/9/10 6:02:31PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,559-848
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

in my opinion Shogun was robbed on the decision of that fight, and I will never believe that he wasn't. You can think otherwise, but you're not convincing me.

Fair enough bro. I guess I always considered robbery to be more in the context of say a Beebe/Easton decision. No sense in arguing semantics to be sure.

Posted by bjj1605

Jeff Curran vs Takeya Mizugaki

Honestly bjj- I can't remember the last WEC card that DIDN'T have a bad decision. There's something about those little guys that seems to bring out the worst in judging (though I'm sure Leonard Garcia would tend to disagree).

Last edited 5/9/10 7:37PM server time by bojangalz
2 total post edits

Post #9   5/9/10 7:32:42PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by RyanC

in my opinion Shogun was robbed on the decision of that fight, and I will never believe that he wasn't. You can think otherwise, but you're not convincing me.

Fair enough bro. I guess I always considered robbery to be more in the context of say a Beebe/Easton decision. No sense in arguing semantics to be sure.

I figure what's done is done no sense arguing about it now. I've seen way too many "Im right." "No, I'm right." arguments on this site lately, and I'm kind of tired of it. Everyone is going to feel differently about these sorts of things, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Post #10   5/9/10 8:26:48PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Forrest/Rampage was a very close call IMO. Also i cant believe no one has said anything about Chan Sung "The Korean Zombie" Jung. He definatly should have got the nod against Garcia! Great fight but the wrong fighter got the W!! Then Hamill/Bispuke. Seriously. The only reason Bisping is still in the UFC is beacause he is the "poster boy" for MMA in the UK. I think it is BS! Sorry if that is bashing but it's true. He hasnt beaten anyone that was a real threat! Dan Miller is going to school him. I can't wait

EDIT: My bad TS i missed your reference to the Garcia/Jung fight!

Last edited 5/9/10 8:37PM server time by bustedknuckle

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   5/9/10 8:33:30PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,116-1,275
Chips:
Shogun/Machida was a bad decision in most eyes but was a classic case of leaving it in the hands of the judges.

Edgar/Penn I didn't see any way Penn won three rounds. But no way did Edgar win more than 4 rounds.

Bisping/Hamill I felt Hamill won at the time, but I do remember Hamill getting tagged as well.

Post #12   5/9/10 9:28:18PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
brock lesnar vs heath herring

Post #13   5/9/10 10:30:54PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Seanfu, you are quickly becoming my favorite person on this site. I have about 50 things that I could prop you for right now. The only thing I am going to say about this thread is that I think people are taking fights that were supremely close like Machida/Rua Bisping/Hammil and saying they were HORRIBLE decisions. We have the advantage of replay, rewind, highlight reels, etc..from which we are able to support whatever decision we already believe to be true anyhow. I am one hundred percent certain that a Machida fan could find a highlight reel or pictures from the first fight that supports their argument and a Rua fan could do the same. That doesn't make it a HORRIBLE judging decision. If you polled the entire playground I'm sure you'd get one out of every three people who believe Rua won the first fight and one out of every three people who believe Machida won the first fight. All you need is one more judge either way and you have a Majority decision. I think HORRIBLE judging decisions are cases where pretty much EVERYONE agrees that the wrong fighter won.

Post #14   5/10/10 8:37:50PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
japanese scoring systems are different, but arona vs fedor was a bad one, and henderson vs minotauro 1. rings tended to look at things very differently i guess.
big nog got a lucky call vs rodriguez in pride too.
bas vs randleman was a shocker but different criteria again.

Post #15   5/10/10 9:50:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2