Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shogun: I’ll Fight Anderson Silva

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,923-1,070
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Anderson would win though. And as for questioning level of opposition, i think you should remember every fight in the UFC he's had except lyoto was C level.

They brought him in and gave him forrest for a free win and boost in popularity. Then they gave him Coleman (holy **** what a tough opponent) then Chuck, and we all know after losing 4 of his last 5 Chuck was on top of his game. You are totally right sir.

Hindsight is 20/20. More than half the playground picked chuck to win.

Post #31   5/9/10 11:39:44PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I had said Shogun has better Muay Thai, Silva is the better with his hands that is not a question. Rogerio did control a lot of the stand-up in that fight, but the things about a cage that make Cro Cop ineffective are the same things that make Shogun effective. Silva doesn't have anywhere near the take down defense of Machida or the mobility of Machida. If you watch him he makes people miss with impressive head movement and level changes, that's not really a good strategy because Shoguns going to throw kicks to the legs and follow it up with a takedown. I think what really hurts Silva is that he hasn't shown any signs of power with anything but his straight stuff, and I'm not sure what power he has inside. IMO James Irvin is the best overall striker he's ever faced and that doesn't say a whole lot, but it does make me want to see Franklin vs Irvin at 205.

You think Irvin is a better striker than Franklin? Disagree strongly. Irvin might have better KO power but Rich has very good standup. He puts combos together really well and is always mixing it up. I really think people forget how good Franklin is because of the beatings Anderson gave him. He was dominating the division just like Anderson is now when he was champ.

Post #32   5/10/10 12:31:15AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,516-899
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I say if silva beats chael he vacates title and fights winner of shogun vs
Rampage if rampage beats evans

....Or the winner of Shogun vs Evans if Evans beats Rampage.

Now Anderson Silva has the opportunity to fight both/either GSP (since Silva has said he'd move down a weight class) and Shogun (since we all know Silva can fight at 205).

I hope the UFC will make at least one of these fights happen!

Post #33   5/10/10 10:02:28AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Anderson vs. Shogun would be great, it would be a super fight where both champs are worthy, but the smaller champ fights at 205 and is not too small for Rua imo

All the talk about whos career wins are better is interesting, but not a good measure of mma math in this superfight.
Imo the MW division is and was pretty weak, but regardless, Silva beat every styled fighter thrown to him. Some great wins are Hendo, Nate and Rich twice. Since when did people start thinking Rich isn't good? He lost a close fight to Hendo, a p4p fighter(at the time ) and an on fire Vitor... and Rich was once considered a p4p guy himself.

Both Rua and Anderson have some weird losses, but only Shogun's losses are excusable.
Forrest beat a winded Rua by stopping the 1st takedown and putting a high pace on the ring rusted Rua.
Machida didn't really beat Lyoto, but an L on the record none the less.

Anderson got beat by Ryo Chonan!!! that loss doesn't mean ish these days.

I think Anderson would win, but I would love to see Rua win.

IMO GSP AND RUA are the good guys
Anderson and Lesnar are the bad guys imo lol

Last edited 5/10/10 11:16AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #34   5/10/10 11:16:05AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Machida didn't really beat Lyoto, but an L on the record none the less.

Machida didn't beat himself?

I have to agree with Seanfu. Regardless of the fact that Shogun is the champion he in no way deserved to fight for the title. Wins over Coleman and Liddell aren't number 1 contender fights. Anderson has beat everyone they've placed in front of him. From Olympic wrestlers, BJJ experts, KO artists, and all around fighters. The quality of opponent that Anderson has faced is leaps and bounds better than the quality of opponents Rua has faced, hands down. As one of the playgrounders who DID NOT pick Liddell, (go ahead, check my picks), I don't need the luxury of hindsight to say he should have won that fight. I can accept the fact that Rua is the champ, he beat Machida without any controversy, I can't accept that wins over Coleman and a downhill Liddell earned him the shot at Machida.

Post #35   5/10/10 2:10:17PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,417-1,350
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Sometimes it feels like fans only count UFC fights as legitimate fights and every other org's fights as Exhibition matches.

I can see someone thinking Anderson's resume is SLIGHTLY more impressive than Rua's but to say Rua is leaps and bounds behind him in quality of opposition just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not disagreeing that he was rushed into a title shot but I think theres a lot of people undervaluing some of the top talent outside of the UFC or overvaluing some of the talent inside the UFC.

Post #36   5/10/10 2:25:24PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Flashy, I'm not dismissing his body of work in Pride...however, that shouldn't earn you a shot in another organization. Regardless of whether or not most of the Pride talent pool was absorbed by the UFC. I'm actually doing the opposite of that, I am only looking at Anderson's work in the UFC as well. I'm not looking at his Cage Rage or Pride accomplishments, either. A UFC title shot should be earned based off your work in the UFC. That being said, the UFC just sort of hands out title shots to undeserving people, so in the larger picture, if I did look Rua's work in Pride, he was certainly more deserving than Lesnar.

Post #37   5/10/10 2:40:47PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,417-1,350
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I already agreed that he was rushed into his title shot. Although the reason I think that is because of the loss to Forrest and lackluster win over Coleman regardless of what org. the fights took place in. I would have liked to see him fight one more top contender before a title shot.

Where I disagree with you is when you say a UFC shot should be earned in the UFC.

If Fedor signed with the UFC tomorrow should he have to work his way up the division? or should he fight for the title right out of the gate.

I'd want to see him in their with Brock or Carwin right away.

Anyways this is veering way off topic now and thats my fault, I'll shut up now.

Post #38   5/10/10 3:05:05PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Flashy, I'm not dismissing his body of work in Pride...however, that shouldn't earn you a shot in another organization. Regardless of whether or not most of the Pride talent pool was absorbed by the UFC. I'm actually doing the opposite of that, I am only looking at Anderson's work in the UFC as well. I'm not looking at his Cage Rage or Pride accomplishments, either. A UFC title shot should be earned based off your work in the UFC. That being said, the UFC just sort of hands out title shots to undeserving people, so in the larger picture, if I did look Rua's work in Pride, he was certainly more deserving than Lesnar.

Anderson Silva got his title shot after 1 KO win over Leben
Henderson had TWO immediate title shots
Rampage title shot after 1 KO win against Eastman
Vitor...
Big Nog...
this list goes on and on. The UFC has never based there title contenders on there UFC credentials alone. They will never admit it but the UFC does recognize the talent that exists outside of its stable of fighters and they adjust there decisions accordingly. (Which is a good thing, Most of the time.)

Back on Topic
I love super fights, and I believe that they are the most important/memorable fights when talking about a fighters legacy. win or lose. This fight needs to happen, but Shogun needs to defend his belt once or twice before this mega fight happens.

Here is what I would like to see happen

A.Silva vs Sonnen - Shogun vs Rampage/Rashaad winner
...few months later
A. Silva vs Belfort - Shogun vs Lil Nog (I believe he will be the #1 contender at this time)
...few more months
A.Silva vs Shogun about a year from now

Last edited 5/10/10 4:22PM server time by CwB
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #39   5/10/10 4:16:56PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Oh, i know that the UFC gives out title shots like candy, I addressed that. I even stated that Shogun getting a title shot isn't the worst thing in the world when you look at Lesnar's rise to the top. Silva didn't deserve his shot, either and has honestly done his best work in the UFC but we look at how dominant he is now and forget that he had a pretty easy road to his title shot.

Post #40   5/10/10 4:28:16PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Oh, i know that the UFC gives out title shots like candy, I addressed that. I even stated that Shogun getting a title shot isn't the worst thing in the world when you look at Lesnar's rise to the top. Silva didn't deserve his shot, either and has honestly done his best work in the UFC but we look at how dominant he is now and forget that he had a pretty easy road to his title shot.

I dont know who originally said it but, the only way to truly tell if someone deserves a title shot is to see how they perform in the title fight. Basically, Did Lesnar earn his shot? yes, no, maybe. it doesnt matter he won the title and has defended it and still owns it, so yes he deserved the title shot.

Post #41   5/10/10 4:47:58PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
So, basically nobody that's fought Anderson deserved a title shot

Post #42   5/10/10 4:53:01PM   

cspecial

MMA Regular

cspecial Avatar

Career:276-218
Chips:
i called it all along about shogun and couldn't understand why anyone would think he couldn't pull off all that he has. he's continuously beaten the best in the world and now knocked out a champ ppl believed to be unbeatable. i would love to see him fight silva but i also think that in order for that to happen they should make silva fight machida for the chance at that belt. screw the fact that thier buddies and don't wanna fight... if they want that belt... fight for it.

Post #43   5/11/10 4:19:12PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Shogun: "I'll fight Anderson Silva"....

The question is if this fight is set up, will Anderson Silva fight Shogun?

Post #44   5/12/10 1:05:29AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Well, Anderson had this to say about Rua

Shogun doesn’t deserve to fight for the belt, [he] got lucky because the two who could challenge Lyoto are making the reality show.

Rua responded with

I respect everyone. It's OK if he doesn't respect me back. I don't give a damn on his words. Even a parrot talks

I'd say they are game.

Post #45   5/12/10 1:15:12AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4