Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Underappreciated/underrated band of the day...

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #1   5/7/10 9:01:16AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Under-appreciated? Really? They've always been pretty highly-regarded in the circles I've traveled. (That's Talking Heads, for those who don't recognize the pic.)

Post #2   5/7/10 11:07:51AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Under-appreciated? Really? They've always been pretty highly-regarded in the circles I've traveled. (That's Talking Heads, for those who don't recognize the pic.)

I believe they're very underappreciated. I'd be willing to bet that 90 people out of 100 couldn't name a Talking Heads song that isn't "Burning Down the House". Unless those 100 people are hippies.

Post #3   5/7/10 11:42:33AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
here's a few from me.

1. Blitzkid. Arguably the best horror punk outfit since the Misfits in 77. As of now their underappreciated but in a few years I feel their popularity will explode.
Songs to listen to:

1. Love Like Blood
2. Starlight Decay
3.Midnight Mile
4.Mary and the Storm
5.Nosferatu

Long live the horror!

2. Emilie Autumn. Not only is she a master of the violin but her stage shows are amazing and one of a kind. Visit the asylum!
Songs to listen to:

1.Marry me
2.Juliet
3.Dead is the new alive
4.Thank God i'm Pretty
5.The Art of Suicide

3. Abney Park. The forefathers of the genre known as steampunk. They have one of the most hardcore following out their.
Songs to listen to:

1.Airship Pirates
2.Her Dresslemyers Doll
3.Post Apocalyptic Punk
4.Building Steam
5.She

4.Michale Graves. The former frontman for the Misfits is now a solo artist that has stamped his own destinctive sounds. His first few solo outings where punk rock anthem albums but since has grown into very haunting acoustic folk music that has truley made him a standout gem. He has been currently working with Marky Ramone.
Songs to listen to:

1.Wormwood
2.The best of me
3.Beware
4.Dawn of the Dead
5.Season of the Witch

5. Tony Carey/ Planet P Project

Pink World was quiet simply a masterpiece. Nuff said.
Songs to listen to:

1.A fine,fine,day.
2.Pink World
3.Why Me
4.Lonely Life
5.To live forever

Last edited 5/7/10 1:09PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   5/7/10 1:05:42PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I am going to catch so much flak for this, but the easy answer is Creed.

Despite being one of the most popular rock bands of the 90's, they were severely under-appreciated and under-rated by elitist rock fans and critics alike who panned them as either a Pearl Jam rip off in their early years, or generic bubble gum pop in their later years. Creed had/has some solid talent behind them, and despite Scott Stapp's idiocy over the years, his voice isn't that terrible.

Post #5   5/7/10 2:32:19PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Post #6   5/7/10 2:40:31PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Creed.

Post #7   5/7/10 2:45:51PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Despite being one of the most popular rock bands of the 90's, they were severely under-appreciated and under-rated by elitist rock fans and critics alike who panned them as either a Pearl Jam rip off in their early years, or generic bubble gum pop in their later years. Creed had/has some solid talent behind them, and despite Scott Stapp's idiocy over the years, his voice isn't that terrible.

Yep, never again post anything related to music on this site.

EDIT: in good spirit, i'm going to give you props for either believing that or posting the funniest thing I've read all day.

Last edited 5/7/10 2:48PM server time by blueskiesburn

Post #8   5/7/10 2:47:10PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by warglory

Yep, never again post anything related to music on this site.

EDIT: in good spirit, i'm going to give you props for either believing that or posting the funniest thing I've read all day.

Last time I checked musical taste is subjective.

Post #9   5/7/10 4:34:29PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by AchillesHeel

I believe they're very underappreciated. I'd be willing to bet that 90 people out of 100 couldn't name a Talking Heads song that isn't "Burning Down the House". Unless those 100 people are hippies.

I'm not sure I've ever even heard a song by the Talking Heads.

I'm gonna throw out Opeth as a very underappreciated band. One of my all time faves, and I think there are quite a few people who have never heard of them.

Post #10   5/7/10 4:41:59PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I'd have to say my pick is Coheed & Cambria. Seems like most people I know have never really heard of them. They make great albums and sound awesome live. I'm actually going to see them tomorrow night!

P.S. Creed? Really? Seriously?

Post #11   5/7/10 7:14:52PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,701-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Someone actually mentioned Creed? Was that a drunken post?

Post #12   5/7/10 7:59:50PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Ryan, it's subjective and I did prop the guy before I blasted him. Seriously, Creed is the Goulet of music. You never pick them and if you do you keep it to yourself.

My prop even said "Here's a consolation prop for all the sh*t you're about to receive"

On a side note, actually, the main note, Creed definitely was not under-appreciated anyhow. They've appeared on multiple award shows and I'm pretty sure they have three multi-platinum albums. That's a lot of people buying their records for an under-appreciated band.

Last edited 5/7/10 8:25PM server time by blueskiesburn

Post #13   5/7/10 8:15:50PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Ryan, it's subjective and I did prop the guy before I blasted him. Seriously, Creed is the Goulet of music. You never pick them and if you do you keep it to yourself.

My prop even said "Here's a consolation prop for all the sh*t you're about to receive"

On a side note, actually, the main note, Creed definitely was not under-appreciated anyhow. They've appeared on multiple award shows and I'm pretty sure they have three multi-platinum albums. That's a lot of people buying their records for an under-appreciated band.

Yeah but people bought Spice Girls album in droves too, sales don't amount to appreciation in my opinion. Opeth, as someone stated before, is most definitely not a household name, but they are one of the most well respected and appreciated metal bands on the planet. The argument, for or against, that sales somehow impact how respected a band is a load of BS. ICP is very popular amongst their niche, yet they are probably the most loathed music group in the history of music.

Creed came out of nowhere with their take on post-grunge that was decidedly not Seattle. Bands like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were dying off (or dead), and Creed came in, amongst a sea of happy top 40 songs from The Wallflowers, 311, Sugar Ray (and crap like Garbage?!) to add a dark, metallic edge to mainstream rock (though to be fair, I think Tool probably took the ultimate cake in this category in 1997).

If anyone can remember back then, Creed was often written off by critics as a crappy clone of Pearl Jam, despite their first album having a ton of originality to it (at the time, these guys were original, though a few years later the sound scape was littered with clones) with some amazing riffs (Tremonti is a fantastic guitarist believe it or not) and really thought provolking song writing, My Own Prison was wholly under-appreciated, DESPITE reaching the top 40. I mean having the balls to openly embrace spirituality?

Last edited 5/7/10 10:00PM server time by warglory
3 total post edits

Post #14   5/7/10 9:53:11PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,633-892
Chips:
Talking Heads may be relatively unknown, but their critical acclaim is universal. In that light, I agree with the underappreciated part but not the underrated part.

Remain in Light was something I returned to monthly for a couple years when I started college. (And no, "Once in a Lifetime" is not its best song.)

Posted by RyanC

I'm gonna throw out Opeth as a very underappreciated band. One of my all time faves, and I think there are quite a few people who have never heard of them.

Agreed, although I sorta gave up after with Watershed. I think they gave up a little too much on emotional dynamic for their prog worship.

Last edited 5/7/10 10:07PM server time by lohmann
2 total post edits

Post #15   5/7/10 9:58:37PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3