Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kimbo: I Don't Predict Fights But I'm Not Getting KO'd, I'll Tell You That

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And his advice to his UFC 113 foe this weekend-Matt Mitrione: Don't stand and bang with him. Says Slice, "The preparation for every fight is the same, it's intense. I peak to the highest level of my performance a week before the fight. I'm ready for it. I hope [Mitrione's] biggest strength would be his ground game because if he wants to stand and bang, that's my world. If I see a submission and he slip -- I'll grip. I don't predict the fights but I'm not getting knocked out, I'll tell you that."

Article

Post #1   5/6/10 10:33:31AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
Hell Yeah!!! Kimbo by vicious TKO due to repeated suplex slams!!!!!

Post #2   5/6/10 10:53:58AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Kimbo beat Houston, but for the first half of the fight he would not engage either. Everyone blamed only Houston, not Kimbo. When Kimbo fought Roy he was hesistant as well imo. Matt will go right after him, I dont think Matt was afraid of anyone except Marcus Jones on TUF, and he eventually ko'd him and got off his back. Jones weighs more and would be harder to get off than Kimbo, I expect a TKO victory for Matt. Roy was right when he said Kimbo was a lhw imo.

Post #3   5/6/10 11:19:25AM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Kimbo has no KO ability at all. If Junk couldn't KO Matt kimbo sure as hell won't. Matt's a totally different fighter than what was shown on the show. He showed that by getting out of the same sub from jones that mcsweeny caught him with. He's way to be for Kimbo to even contemplate a suplex. He's too big and strong for kimbo to submit. This one ends early. Inside a minute, 2 if Kimbo is lucky. Matt by devastating KO.

Post #4   5/6/10 11:43:38AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Meathead seems to have a pretty damn good chin and Kimbo's is still suspect.
I don't see Kimbo winning this if he stands up and brawls.

Post #5   5/6/10 11:55:05AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by Wolf

Kimbo has no KO ability at all. If Junk couldn't KO Matt kimbo sure as hell won't. Matt's a totally different fighter than what was shown on the show. He showed that by getting out of the same sub from jones that mcsweeny caught him with. He's way to be for Kimbo to even contemplate a suplex. He's too big and strong for kimbo to submit. This one ends early. Inside a minute, 2 if Kimbo is lucky. Matt by devastating KO.

Well first I'd like to point out that Matt's KO of Marcus Jones is not that impressive. Jones stands like frankenstein, and has absolutely no head movement or footwork. The only thing Jones had going for him was his incredible ground skills for his size.
And as for Kimbo, even though Houston isn't a challenge for many of the fighters in UFC, he was still a major step up in competition for Kimbo. I think that fight showed us how much Kimbo has improved.

Kimbo has excellent boxing and head movement, we all know that. He wouldn't be where he is now if he had absolutely no skill. Kimbo's weakness has always been his ground game and i'm sure he is working like hell to improve it.
As long as Kimbo keeps it on the feet, he wins this.

Post #6   5/6/10 12:41:28PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:906-530
Chips:
Im pretty much going to reply what I put in a similar thread...

Unfortunately I expect this fight to be terrible.

Kimbo and Mitrione have bad gas tanks, if this fight goes past the 1st, it will be awful.

Mitrione has the power and the reach advantage, and even shown in his fight against Scott Junk, that even though he was completely gassed.. he literally won the second round and the fight solely on the basis of sticking out the jab near Junk's face. 90% of those jabs didnt even land, but by literally sticking it out (moreso flinging an extended arm while his hands dangled by his sides) he happened to be more offensive by using the jab defensively (if he would have thrown anything else he probably would have fell over).

In the 3rd round of the Kimbo/Houston fight Houston threw up a couple of sloppy jabs while his hands were dangling on the ground near the body of Kimbo that made Kimbo unable to counter/too tired to counter.

I think Mitrione takes the 1st round - then we enter 10 minutes of spaghetti arm flailing, where Mitrione sloppily backs up Kimbo with a jab in the 3rd winning a U.Decision.

I hate to be so negative about the fight. Mitrione definitely has the edge though IMO, Mitrione I think has shown more improvement than Kimbo has during each of their fights on the Finale card. Mitrione I think could probably be good enough to stick around for a while. He was able to stay composed on his back against Marcus Jones even when Marcus had him in side mount, knew how to wall-walk, and had the ability/second nature to immediately work for an underhook when pressed up against the cage defending a takedown.

Kimbo was ultimately able to survive in his fight against Houston Alexander because he was able to out-muscle Houston due to a strength advantage... he got close to him clinched, picked him up and slammed him... nothing too technical about that (although it was really cool to watch)

He's not going to have that strength advantage against a guy that will probably out weigh him by 30+ lbs in Mitrione. Kimbo also IMO didn't show as much technical improvement in comparison to Matt Mitrione.

I'd be more inclined to think that Kimbo might try to push him Mitrione against the fence and try to overpower Mitrione, but Mitrione has the reach, strength, and power advantage, and I feel he has shown greater improvement than Kimbo.

I hope for at least a decent fight, but I clearly favor Mitrione.

Kimbo comes forward, Mitrione has shown an ability to jab, and Kimbo isnt as physically strong as Mitrione, and Mitrione has a helluva chin, and both have bad gas tanks. Marcus Jones struggled to keep Mitrione on his back, and he is a much better disciplined grappler than Kimbo (and Marcus Jones happened to be bigger/stronger than Mitrione).

Post #7   5/6/10 12:52:50PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I disagree. Matt will KO him.

Post #8   5/6/10 1:29:54PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,378-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Meathead has a lot of advantages over Kimbo, but Kimbo has a big edge in hand speed, I think that will be enough to get the "W" . I think Mitrione could be a real decent heavyweight someday, somewhere along the lines of Heath Herring, but I think Kimbo will get a win before Mitrione starts his climb.

Post #9   5/6/10 1:40:50PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'd be shocked if Kimbo didn't end up on the floor in this one.

Mitrione is going to have a sizable weight advantage and power advantage to boot. If Kimbo thinks he can toss around an oversized heavyweight the way he tossed around an undersized HW in Houston Alexander he's in for a rough night. Especially since this particular oversized HW spent years of his life grappling back and forth on the line in the gridiron. Kimbo has way shorter reach and likes to throw loopy punches while Mitrione likes straight punches with huge power. It just spells trouble for Kimbo all around.

The only thing Kimbo has going for him is the fact that Mitrione has a lot of holes in his game, and the fact that he trains at ATT. If anybody can get a fighter up to speed in a short amount of time I'd put ATT on the top of that list. So maybe he'll surprise me. But I doubt it.

Last edited 5/6/10 1:58PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   5/6/10 1:56:33PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Mitrione is going to have a sizable weight advantage and power advantage to boot. If Kimbo thinks he can toss around an oversized heavyweight the way he tossed around an undersized HW in Houston Alexander he's in for a rough night. Especially since this particular oversized HW spent years of his life grappling back and forth on the line in the gridiron. Kimbo has way shorter reach and likes to throw loopy punches while Mitrione likes straight punches with huge power. It just spells trouble for Kimbo all around.

The only thing Kimbo has going for him is the fact that Mitrione has a lot of holes in his game, and the fact that he trains at ATT. If anybody can get a fighter up to speed in a short amount of time I'd put ATT on the top of that list. So maybe he'll surprise me. But I doubt it.

I think Kimbo may,(just may), have more heart than Mitrione as well. In his fight against Sweeney he just seemed to give up. I still say he takes it though.

Post #11   5/6/10 2:11:25PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I liked the way how Kimbo looked in his last fight. I thought he improved a lot.

Post #12   5/6/10 2:36:06PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Matt's a different fighter now. I know him personally, and I've seen him train. Even rolled with him a bit (though it's been a while). He's got all kinds of heart. Remember, Marcus is WAAAAAAAAY better at BJJ than McSweeny. He put Matt in the exact same guillotine as McSweeny did, just as tight. Matt composed himself and escaped.

Post #13   5/6/10 4:29:06PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I'd like to see Kimbo get some more wins in mma but I'd be surprised if he beats Matt. Matt seems like a powerful dude with a great chin and i'm sure he's improved a lot. Kimbo seems faster and has great head movement but I just can't see that being enough to avoid Matt stunning him and finishing him.

Post #14   5/6/10 5:36:34PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I'm inclined to lean towards DosBox's assessment of this fight. Thus far, that's the most likely of all the outcomes I have read IF the fight isn't finished early. If it gets out of the first round I see the spaghetti noodling coming into play. Gas tanks on both fighters are pretty horrendous.

Post #15   5/6/10 6:41:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2