Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Couture wants winner of Machida/Shogun

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:923-654
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
After seeing Randy not able to take Vera down, I wondered if his legs and his explosiveness are gone? I never doubt Randy, but Machida is a much taller task than Vera.
Randy should have to atleast fight either Jon Jones, Lil Nog, page, rua or Rashad for his title shot. If he can't win 1 of those fights, he cant beat Machida.

The simple fact is that although Randy hasnt beaten any top 10 guys, Couture title shot would sell more than Jon Jones atm. Once Randy is outta the way, Jones will be even better, so Im not upset by the potential of a Randy title shot. who knows, styles make fights and a greco roman wrestler could be whats needed to face Machida or Shogun

Post #16   5/5/10 4:36:12PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Both Machida and Shogun would crush Randy and send him in to retirement, in my opinion. I don't even see it being close.

Post #17   5/5/10 4:51:53PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,365-3,499
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
memorial weekend will be interesting i think if rampage wins he will get next shot now if he loses

i think evans faces a lil nog next and maybe randy will get the shot,

u still got jon joes in the mix as well

beatin vera, coleman and toney sure as hell doesnt earn you a title shot when bones went through gusmao, bonner, obrien, hamill and vera and probably vlady 6-0 deserves it

Post #18   5/5/10 5:00:14PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Id like to see randy fight for the title but as of right now the winner of Evans and Jackson should get the shot. If Randy can beat one more guy preferably ranked at LHW then why not give him the shot. I don't see Randy ever being the champ again but its always nice to see him in big time fights at his age.

Post #19   5/5/10 5:06:57PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,125-1,284
Chips:
This was nothing like when Liddell knocked him into retirement and he decided he'd like to fight for the Heavyweight strap, I'm not a big Couture fan, but I like him because he's a competitor, but Vera keeps proving himself a lame duck, and Coleman didn't belong on the mat with another wrestler, Toney is dangerous, but not a serious threat to win consistently, he gets his ass kicked out of the division and fights a couple of cans in the next division and then he gets a title shot, not this time, go fight some of the up and comers.

Post #20   5/5/10 6:57:37PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I dont see how Randy wins a fight against either man. And even more dosent deserve another shot unless he wins another fight against a top 5 guy.

Post #21   5/5/10 7:07:53PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

@FightOnTwist

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
The problem lies in the fact that Jones needs a solid win against some TOP tier opponents before you can justify giving him a title shot. The winner of Rashad vs. Rampage will be out for a little because I doubt either fighter will escape that fight without taking some shots. Not to mention that they are still going to be on a mandatory 30 no contact. There's no guarantee Couture will escape Toney, either. I think this is Couture just trying to add his name to the mix. Dana could make this fight happen but I doubt it. I think the fight would be interesting, either way.

Post #22   5/5/10 7:32:01PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Isn't Randy the sort of guy you hate to root against?

Post #23   5/5/10 8:24:00PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by zxandu

Not when he robs Vera and after they recognize his lack of remaining ability pair him up with Coleman and Toney. I'm really hoping Toney goes in there and just knocks him out cold in one ferocious combo. I don't want Couture robbing someone from a title shot and getting used for hyping the champ up as a sacrificial lamb.

EDIT- Oh, forgot to mention, I really really really really want to see Rampage fight Lyoto for the title because I think it would be hilarious when he gets beaten easily and brutaly.

Last edited 5/5/10 8:57PM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   5/5/10 8:54:50PM   

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
look I'm not sayin its gonna happen but if randy fights toney there is a freakin good chance he could get koed look what big nog did him and randy likes to clinch and press against the cage even before he goes for the takedown i mean how many times as of late have you seen him shoot in for a takedown maybe he has lost a step in that area i guess in the end I'm thinkin his chin has been a little weak and he is fighting a damn good boxer so I'm not even thinkin title shot for him right now I'm thinkin the winner of rampage/rashad and IF IF rashad wins like he did vs thiago silva he might not get the next shot hello lil nog might pull out another win and get the next shot in the end randy always seems to be pretty close to a title shot just based off of his legendary name but he isn't the same randy of years past even just a few yaers and a Sylvia win ago

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #25   5/5/10 9:02:11PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

@FightOnTwist

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Rashad came dangerously close to getting KTFO by Silva. Silva just gassed. If he'd had more in the tank Rashad would have been taking a nap much like he did against Machida.

Post #26   5/5/10 9:05:43PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by zxandu

Not when he robs Vera and after they recognize his lack of remaining ability pair him up with Coleman and Toney. I'm really hoping Toney goes in there and just knocks him out cold in one ferocious combo. I don't want Couture robbing someone from a title shot and getting used for hyping the champ up as a sacrificial lamb.

EDIT- Oh, forgot to mention, I really really really really want to see Rampage fight Lyoto for the title because I think it would be hilarious when he gets beaten easily and brutaly.

Randy Couture judges his own fights?

Randy Couture will be softballed and talked about as a potential contender one last time before he retires. He's a five-time UFC champion that a lot of people got into MMA loving.

That being said, I agree with the majority in that I see Machida, Rua, Jackson, Evans, etc. all beating him easily.

Post #27   5/5/10 9:15:08PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Chips:
I've seen on quite a few sites that many think Couture will win the fight in the clinch. Unless he tries to complete a take-down once he gets in there I'm not sure it's a great idea.

For a boxer, Toney tends to keep his hands pretty damn low when at or just outside arms length though he doesn't eat many clean shots.

Standing with him isn't a good strategy but I don't think the clinch is the place you want to be with Toney either with 4 oz gloves. He'd dig into your body with serious authority.

I'm not saying Toney would take the fight as I really don't know what will/would happen; but I think he would welcome the clinch and can't think of any of Couture's previous opponents off the top of my head that I can say that about. Gotta get the fight to the ground if you're Couture.

Post #28   5/5/10 9:18:42PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

@FightOnTwist

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I think the clinch game isn't a bad idea for Couture. Clinching in MMA and Boxing are vastly different. Inactivity in the clinch leads to the ref separating the fighters in boxing. Toney won't be used to this. Couture can use his ability to keep Toney moving in the clinch to wear down his upper body strength thus sapping him of some of that punching power. Couture is also very smart in the clinch game. I think the playing field is a lot more even for Couture if they are in the clinch. Nobody works the clinch like Couture. Despite Toney's credentials as a boxer, I don't think he has dealt with someone of Couture's capability in the clinch. Couture is constantly working, which is something Toney will have to be aware of. Despite the fact that Slapshot believes that if Toney learns TD defense he ought to be able to win this fight, completely disregarding the fact that Couture has been wrestling the whole of his life and Toney hasn't even had a professional MMA bout, I doubt that Toney could possibly learn all that is needed in the amount of time he has leading up to this fight to prepare him for someone with the wrestling pedigree of Randy Couture. He makes it sounds like it's something you can just learn and learn rather quickly. Couture will be game for this fight, the question is, will Toney.

Post #29   5/5/10 10:12:41PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think the clinch game isn't a bad idea for Couture. Clinching in MMA and Boxing are vastly different. Inactivity in the clinch leads to the ref separating the fighters in boxing. Toney won't be used to this. Couture can use his ability to keep Toney moving in the clinch to wear down his upper body strength thus sapping him of some of that punching power. Couture is also very smart in the clinch game. I think the playing field is a lot more even for Couture if they are in the clinch. Nobody works the clinch like Couture. Despite Toney's credentials as a boxer, I don't think he has dealt with someone of Couture's capability in the clinch. Couture is constantly working, which is something Toney will have to be aware of. Despite the fact that Slapshot believes that if Toney learns TD defense he ought to be able to win this fight, completely disregarding the fact that Couture has been wrestling the whole of his life and Toney hasn't even had a professional MMA bout, I doubt that Toney could possibly learn all that is needed in the amount of time he has leading up to this fight to prepare him for someone with the wrestling pedigree of Randy Couture. He makes it sounds like it's something you can just learn and learn rather quickly. Couture will be game for this fight, the question is, will Toney.

Toney can easily land a shot to KO Randy, but the ground game is gonna make a huge difference. But you were telling me that Couture was 'punch-drunk' is he really? He seems to be all there during his interviews.

Post #30   5/5/10 10:21:03PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4