Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Couture wants winner of Machida/Shogun

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As Randy Couture heads back into training in mid-June for his August showdown against James Toney, the UFC Hall of Famer still has other goals on his mind as well.

The 46-year-old former heavyweight and light heavyweight champion isn't done winning titles yet, and while his focus has turned to former boxing champion turned MMA fighter James Toney, he believes that his shot at the 205-pound belt isn't far away either.

When asked if he believes he could be in line for a title shot within 12 to 18 months, Couture said that it could be sooner.

LINK

Post #1   5/5/10 2:15:10PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:861-585
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
as one of Randy's biggest fans I'd love to see him get the belt again but I do not think that is very likely. I do think he has a good style for Machida but there are so many fighters at 205 that would give him big problems. I can't ever count him out and will root for him for sure but It's hard to imagine he's got a real shot.

Post #2   5/5/10 2:22:32PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:904-633
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rampage or Randy is next imo.
DW would give it to Randy over Rashad imo. Randy has more name recgonition and will sell-imo, and Rashad got ktfo by Machida recently. UFC management and some fans may prefer a new oponent. Especially with the Shogun rematch. The UFC may also want Rashad to win 3 fights, b4 his 2nd title shot. I would like to see Rashad get a rematch, because he is the one guy im confident could take down Machida. If he repeated his performance vs Thiago vs, Machida, Rashad will become champ again imo, but first he needs to get a good gameplan for Rampage. If I had to guess, I would say takedowns, and mad low kicks to beat Page. In a 3 rd fight with Page I am counting on Rashad avoiding the ko from Page and winning.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #3   5/5/10 2:33:14PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
He would get one of the least deserved title shots in years. god is the UFC a ******* circus now?

Post #4   5/5/10 2:49:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
You know I would usually hate to see and aging past his prime star get a title shot after recently returning to the division with few meaningful or dominant wins, but this is f'ing Randy Couture!!!! He usually comes through when no one expects him too and he's surprised me many times.

I would love to see Randy vs Machida. I think if Randy still has it he could definitely win that fight. If he could pin Machida against the cage and work for an eventual takedown he could win via UD. I think he'd have more trouble with Shogun, but I could see him winning that fight too.

Post #5   5/5/10 2:56:00PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

You know I would usually hate to see and aging past his prime star get a title shot after recently returning to the division with few meaningful or dominant wins, but this is f'ing Randy Couture!!!! He usually comes through when no one expects him too and he's surprised me many times.

I would love to see Randy vs Machida. I think if Randy still has it he could definitely win that fight. If he could pin Machida against the cage and work for an eventual takedown he could win via UD. I think he'd have more trouble with Shogun, but I could see him winning that fight too.

he won't, trust me. stats mean nothing. his legs are gone his chin is gone his cardio is weak and he got his ass kicked by brandon vera before they decided to give him aging gift **** oponents.

Post #6   5/5/10 3:22:55PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
God no, if this fight happens I'm switching to Hockey. Coture in no way deserves a shot, nor will he deserve one in a year. Who has he beaten that's top 10 since his return to LHW? just because you have wins doesn't mean you're the best, ala Tito Ortiz.

Post #7   5/5/10 3:27:03PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Randy does not deserve a title shot. Vera was robbed. Jones deserves a shot way before Randy.

Post #8   5/5/10 3:46:36PM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,176-773
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
big randy fan but i hope this does not happen. this is were i pick my place to Drop one name Jon Jones and i hope the janitor fight is like a site joke or somethin is dana just tryin to be a dick to this kid he should be moving in the forward direction not bashin Matyushenko i like him but i dont think hes a top 10 but that is the best they could come up with for a kid who just took out vera like he did. they should give him the loser of machida shogun or the loser from rampage rashad and if those dont go down thiago silva or forest griffin . ufc should show him some love cause i think he is gonna do big things. ha one more time Jon Jones

Post #9   5/5/10 3:54:18PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

He would get one of the least deserved title shots in years. god is the UFC a ******* circus now?

Feels like it is going that way.

Post #10   5/5/10 4:00:06PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If this happens we may as well call him Randy Hogan.
Couture is a legend and still a favirote of mine but you gotta let the new talent shine!

Post #11   5/5/10 4:02:31PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Love me some Couture but his chin is too much a liability.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #12   5/5/10 4:14:42PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Randy vs. Machida or Shogun would be a fun fight to watch I think, either match-up would be cool.

Randy is still an upper echelon fighter who has had great showings against most of this opponents. Despite his double KO's against Liddell and the grizzly bear he fought in UFC 91, he's still put together competitive fights against good competition.

Screw the fact that he's 43 years old, if the guy can still do it and be a threat, then I say don't stop believing.

Even against Lesner, he was doing a good job until Lesner landed one of his huge hands...

But the winner of Rampage and Evans is going to get the higher bid.

Last edited 5/5/10 4:25PM server time by zxandu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/5/10 4:24:07PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by zxandu

Screw the fact that he's 43 years old,

46, actually.