Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Karo Parisyan in Talks With Strikeforce

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Former UFC welterweight contender Karo Parisyan has been in talks to fight for Strikeforce, MMA Fighting has learned.

Parisyan has not signed a contract with the San Jose-based organization yet, but if he does, he could debut as early as June 16 on the Strikeforce: Los Angeles show, which would make sense since the Armenian-born fight currently resides in the North Hollywood, Calif., area.

When contacted by MMA Fighting, Strikeforce officials refused to confirm or deny any talks with Parisyan.

Parisyan's final run in the UFC was a tumultuous one. He pulled out of a UFC 88 fight against Yoshiyuki Yoshida hours before the weigh-ins, citing a back injury. Parisyan had talked openly about battling depression and anxiety, and many suspected he had been suffering from those same symptoms leading up to the fight.

LINK

Last edited 5/4/10 9:39AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   5/4/10 9:38:24AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i really hope hes put his demons behind him and returns to being the fighter he once was. the guy was in a couple of classic battles and is one of those guys that got a ton of talent that hasnt quite lived up to it. if hes right id love to see him and diaz one more time.

Post #2   5/4/10 9:43:13AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

i really hope hes put his demons behind him and returns to being the fighter he once was. the guy was in a couple of classic battles and is one of those guys that got a ton of talent that hasnt quite lived up to it. if hes right id love to see him and diaz one more time.

Maybe a fight against Hieron for #1 contender since Nick will be suspended for a while from the scuffle, or even a Riggs prior to a #1 contender match just to make sure he actually shows up for a scheduled fight and passes his drug tests.

Post #3   5/4/10 9:49:53AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
great call on both counts kpro. riggs might be the best option because at this point karo is a big ?

Post #4   5/4/10 10:03:17AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I feel bad for Karo due to his panic attacks and being let go. I like his Judo and his aggressive style. The UFC announcer said he was unwilling to take meds before the Don Young Kim fight (i think that was the fight) Karo said he wanted to get better without meds. Anyone who has had or knows someone with depression and anxiety knows its no picnic.

That said, I would not hire Karo unless he was being treated for these issues. The reason is that Karo was unable to work (fight) without the treatment before, why would he now? Unless the two pullouts were for injury related reasons which I doubt.
Karo in SF would rock. I dont doubt he could g n p Diaz in Sf if hes on the top of his game.

Post #5   5/4/10 10:35:58AM   

GBforLIFE

Learning to Sprawl

Career:13-11
Chips:
i think at this point karo has to prove he is still relavent. If i was coker his first fight would be on the undercard, against tim kennedy or someone like that. Dont try to promote an event on his name then have him Karo out on you bro.

That being said bro, if he came back to his true bro form, a rematch with Diaz would be great.

Post #6   5/4/10 12:24:50PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
good for karo
may see him fight a jay hieron or luke

Post #7   5/4/10 2:29:21PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
It would be sweet to see Karo back to his Josh Burkman judo throwing days. It might be a good idea for him to drop to Lightweight his frame should be able to handle it. And it would force him to stay in shape. Then again he might end up like Diego and lose his speed advantage...

Post #8   5/4/10 2:36:03PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

It would be sweet to see Karo back to his Josh Burkman judo throwing days. It might be a good idea for him to drop to Lightweight his frame should be able to handle it. And it would force him to stay in shape. Then again he might end up like Diego and lose his speed advantage...

He has a very dense frame. If you've ever heard he or Joe Rogan talk about it, he's not fit for lightweight. Just because he's not ripped, doesn't mean he can easily make the cut.

As for him being "back," I must say I'm excited. Hopefully the Karo who sparked my interests in MMA will be back on full display.

Post #9   5/4/10 4:19:00PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I have to go with Kpro. Riggs would be a great fight for him to see where Karo is at mentally in his game. I love The Heat, I hope he's put everything behind him and can return the the fighter he once was. Let him get his feet wet with Riggs and then schedule a bout with Hieron.

Post #10   5/5/10 6:32:10PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
God for Karo. SF has a decent amount of fighters to give him some good match ups. Also if he can string together a few wins....maybe get bcak to the uFC someday?? He is still a young man and great fighter with a wealth of expierience. At 27 in 2 yrs of fighting in SF he could be back in the UFC before he hits 30 and on a roll!!!! OK now I'm just reaching, but he is one of my favorite fighters.

Post #11   5/5/10 6:59:12PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
If nothing else, fighting in Strikeforce ought to restore some of the confidence that he once had. Karo was such an impressive fight with an incredible ability to get the fight on the ground with his judo toss.

Post #12   5/5/10 7:37:10PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I have to go with Kpro. Riggs would be a great fight for him to see where Karo is at mentally in his game.

Plus it's the only fight that could redeem his image as Riggs is just as likely to pull out and make Karo look like the guy who was willing to fight

Post #13   5/5/10 7:54:20PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I never understood the hype behind the Diesel anyhow. He seemed to lose in some of the most impressive fashions. His loss to Ivan Salaverry at UFC 52 pretty much sold me on the fact that Riggs was all hype. That fight just cracked me up.

Post #14   5/5/10 8:00:00PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I dont think its that bad of a idea IMO, if they offer him enough $$ he should take it and go get that belt.

Post #15   5/5/10 11:58:19PM