Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Forrest Griffin Bows Out Of Bout With Lil Nog

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Forrest Griffin has had to withdraw from his scheduled light heavyweight bout with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. The two were set to co-main event UFC 114 on May 29 in Las Vegas. A grudge match between former light heavyweight champions and “Ultimate Fighter” coaches Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson heads the fight card.

MMAWeekly.com confirmed with sources close to the fighter’s camp that Griffin injured his shoulder and had to withdraw from the fight. TMZ.com was the first to report his exit.

Full Article -Here-

Post #1   5/3/10 11:39:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I will avoid fighter bashing. I'm a big fan of Forrest by the way.

But I knew he wasn't going go through with this fight, he made comments when it was announced about it being a bad matchup and not making sense for him.... you get the gist.

Post #2   5/4/10 12:36:09AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

But I knew he wasn't going go through with this fight, he made comments when it was announced about it being a bad matchup and not making sense for him.... you get the gist.

You could say the same thing about Shogun, Rampage, or Anderson...what makes this fight different? Forrest is self deprecating. That's just his personality...it's nothing new.

Post #3   5/4/10 12:51:40AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by bjj1605

You could say the same thing about Shogun, Rampage, or Anderson...what makes this fight different? Forrest is self deprecating. That's just his personality...it's nothing new.

and +1

Forrest isn't really the type to back out of fights. Ever since the Anderson Silva fight there has been nothing but a string of people doubting his heart. This is a guy who has built a career on the foundation provided by his heart. Let's not jump to conclusions because he's had a string of bad luck when he's got a track record that proves otherwise dozens of times over.

Post #4   5/4/10 1:45:19AM   

godofdixie

MMA Regular

godofdixie Avatar

Career:1,165-628
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
i thought forrest was a big underdog against lil nog. the injury was probably a good thing

Post #5   5/4/10 3:18:44AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I will always love Griffin and there's no way he "backed out" of this fight. If Forrest says he cannot compete, then he cannot compete. Besides, this opens up a slew of possible replacements.

Post #6   5/4/10 3:51:34AM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
All match-ups aside, I like seeing Forrest fight as well. He's a fighter who has heart, and the guy is funny as hell.

I just wonder what trick White is going to pull out to make this event seem more interesting now.

Lately, I've been disappointed with the fights that have been going down, with the exception of the Carwin GSP event in March.

Post #7   5/4/10 4:05:51AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I, along with a couple other people, are of the opinion that they scrap the Boetsch- Thiago Silva fight and put Silva up against Little Nog. Dana can find a more sensible match-up for Boetsch if he was REALLY trying to bring him back in to the fold. Unless Dana just resigned him for the one fight to fill a slot. You'd have an awesome co-main event with Silva vs Little Nog.

Post #8   5/4/10 4:14:03AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,498-1,432
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
blueskies called it i think, its got to be silva stepping in for forrest, and as he also said, there is no way forrest just got cold feet and bowed out. im shocked that anyone would even think that about forrest after the heart hes shown time and time again. sure hes had lapses where he got questioned(jardine, anderson) but hes also the guy that beat shogun and rampage. how soon MMA fans forget.

Post #9   5/4/10 9:29:19AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

there is no way forrest just got cold feet and bowed out. im shocked that anyone would even think that about forrest after the heart hes shown time and time again. sure hes had lapses where he got questioned(jardine, anderson) but hes also the guy that beat shogun and rampage. how soon MMA fans forget.

Agreed. Failed attempt to "avoid fighter bashing".

Anyways...I'd love to see Bones Jones step in. Unlikely, but the matchup would be S.I.C.K.

Last edited 5/4/10 9:39AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   5/4/10 9:32:43AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
This is the most fair and exciting matchups i would like to see.

Forrest vs. Vlad
Thiago vs Luiz kane -Cyril winner
Jon Jones vs Lil Nog
Boetch vs Phil Davis

Post #11   5/4/10 10:22:49AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well I'm glad everyone in here can remain so optimistic and trusting even after Forrest made these comments:

"That is a horrible fight for me. I have trained with his brother a little bit, so he already has the “inside scoop” on me, he’s a southpaw, has got a good chin, and has good power. Plus he is pretty solid on the ground. The only place I would have an advantage would be wrestling… and my wrestling is not that good. So yeah, that’s a tough matchup for me. I’d do it, if that’s what they wanted, but being straight up, there are other guys I’d rather fight."

link

I actually am trying to avoid fighter bashing. Sorry if you felt I didn't. I hope everyone else is right and I'm just thinking the worst. But that doesn't change the fact that I guessed he would back out of this fight.

I'm not denying that he got injured. I'm sure he'd have no reason to lie about that. But when you already don't want a fight it's a lot easier to back out when you get injured.

Everyone in here knows that fighters deciding to fight through and injury is no rare occurrence. And I don't know the extent of this injury but I do know that he chose not to fight with the injury anyway.

And to me the difference between him and the other fighters you mentioned is that none of those other guys came out and made statements about how they didn't want the fight prior to pulling out. (Unless you count Anderson saying Vitor wasn't a title challenger yet).

Edit: Here's a prediction from prozacnation1978 on the thread where Forrest made those comments. "i totally agree!!
2 to 1 odds that forrest pulls out of fight with a injury".link

Last edited 5/4/10 10:38AM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   5/4/10 10:35:09AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Well I'm glad everyone in here can remain so optimistic and trusting even after Forrest made these comments:

"That is a horrible fight for me. I have trained with his brother a little bit, so he already has the “inside scoop” on me, he’s a southpaw, has got a good chin, and has good power. Plus he is pretty solid on the ground. The only place I would have an advantage would be wrestling… and my wrestling is not that good. So yeah, that’s a tough matchup for me. I’d do it, if that’s what they wanted, but being straight up, there are other guys I’d rather fight."

link

I actually am trying to avoid fighter bashing. Sorry if you felt I didn't. I hope everyone else is right and I'm just thinking the worst. But that doesn't change the fact that I guessed he would back out of this fight.

I'm not denying that he got injured. I'm sure he'd have no reason to lie about that. But when you already don't want a fight it's a lot easier to back out when you get injured.

Everyone in here knows that fighters deciding to fight through and injury is no rare occurrence. And I don't know the extent of this injury but I do know that he chose not to fight with the injury anyway.

And to me the difference between him and the other fighters you mentioned is that none of those other guys came out and made statements about how they didn't want the fight prior to pulling out. (Unless you count Anderson saying Vitor wasn't a title challenger yet).

Edit: Here's a prediction from prozacnation1978 on the thread where Forrest made those comments. "i totally agree!!
2 to 1 odds that forrest pulls out of fight with a injury".link

Again, he has a self deprecating personality. That's part of the reason people think he's funny. He talks like that all the time. If you haven't picked up on it by now, you haven't been paying attention.

Post #13   5/4/10 10:55:29AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
I've talked with Forrest in person before. He is one of those guys where if you mention Shogun, or Rampage, he'll just say "yea, I don't know how that happened. Guess It was my night." He's not the type to Bow out of a fight, or else why would he have fought Silva?

Post #14   5/4/10 1:51:22PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Can we also not forget that this is a guy who took his very first professional fight against Dan Severn???

Post #15   5/4/10 3:55:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2