Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Couture Wants a Challenge, So He Wants James Toney at 205

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion Randy Couture is expected to fight former boxing middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight champion James Toney at UFC 118 in a bout that will be an interesting experiment to find out what happens when someone with world-class boxing skills tries his hand at mixed martial arts.

And Couture, whose primary reason for continuing to fight in his late 40s is to participate in interesting fights, wants to be challenged by a Toney who's in peak physical condition. Which is why Couture wants their fight to be contested at the light heavyweight limit of 205 pounds, rather than the heavwyeight limit of 265.

LINK

Post #1   5/3/10 4:04:56PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Well i dont think couture should have to go up since he has already had two wins back at LHW but that shouldn't mean toney has to drop. Maybe couture should have mentioned this before he got the word out about fighting toney. If this fight does happen i see it happening at heavyweight.

Post #2   5/3/10 4:27:27PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by runningman08

..Maybe couture should have mentioned this before he got the word out about fighting toney...

It's more of a preference than a demand. A headline isn't always all-telling.

Post #3   5/3/10 4:40:10PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
If he wants a challenge then why is he asking for a former boxer who's unproven in MMA?

Post #4   5/3/10 5:00:22PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

If he wants a challenge then why is he asking for a former boxer who's unproven in MMA?

um...........former professional boxer, not some inexperienced in combat sports transfer from football or baseball like walker or conseco.

Toney has got sum real power in his hands, good technique as well, now as far as bein new to mma, his ground game may be weak, whereas coutures is great, but as anyone knows, before the ground game even comes into play, ya gotta get ahold of em first, if couture eats a big punch comin in as hes done in the past, this could be a quick fight.

not sayin i'm countin couture out, cuz he definitely can win, but to say toney isnt a challenge is ridiculous imo

Post #5   5/3/10 5:45:57PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

um...........former professional boxer, not some inexperienced in combat sports transfer from football or baseball like walker or conseco.

Toney has got sum real power in his hands, good technique as well, now as far as bein new to mma, his ground game may be weak, whereas coutures is great, but as anyone knows, before the ground game even comes into play, ya gotta get ahold of em first, if couture eats a big punch comin in as hes done in the past, this could be a quick fight.

not sayin i'm countin couture out, cuz he definitely can win, but to say toney isnt a challenge is ridiculous imo

Toney SHOULD NOT be a challenge in any way to Randy Couture under MMA rules.

Post #6   5/3/10 5:47:31PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

just because its mma rules doesnt mean toney cant land a punch on couture that drops him, like i said, coutures grappling game is great and i think he wins it if he gets it goin, but also like i said, hes gotta get ahold of him 1st, toneys not just gonna stand there and let couture grab him, hes gonna swing, maybe i'm the only one that thinks toney could actually hit sum1 in the face.............u'd think more people would knowin he was a proffessional boxer

Post #7   5/3/10 5:52:44PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

I never said he was inexperienced as a combat fighter. However, this isn't a challenge for someone like Couture. Couture is smart enough to time his take-downs such that it will eliminate the highest risk of getting caught by one of Toney's punches. We are talking about an Olympic wrestler here. All Toney has to do is miss one punch and Randy can take him down fairly efficiently, pass whatever guard Toney might or might not have learned in his minimal training and GnP his way to a victory. You act like Couture isn't smart enough to realize that Toney has massive punching power. He will account for that before he shoots in for a take-down.

Plus, I would imagine that he will use doubles instead of single and clinch take-downs to minimize the amount of force that Toney can put behind those fists. Toney is a one-dimensional fighter going up against one of the most versatile fighters to ever step inside the octagon. You're trying to sell Toney's ability to box as this tremendous advantage for him. Randy has great dirty boxing. Not to mention that Randy knows how to use the octagon to his advantage probably better than any fighter in the game. This is something Toney will have to account for. It's a little hard to generate force behind your punches once you realize Randy has moved the fight towards the back of the cage. Randy can win this fight in almost any fashion he desires. This isn't a challenge for one of the most accomplished athletes in the sport of MMA.

Post #8   5/3/10 5:58:33PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

just because its mma rules doesnt mean toney cant land a punch on couture that drops him, like i said, coutures grappling game is great and i think he wins it if he gets it goin, but also like i said, hes gotta get ahold of him 1st, toneys not just gonna stand there and let couture grab him, hes gonna swing, maybe i'm the only one that thinks toney could actually hit sum1 in the face.............u'd think more people would knowin he was a proffessional boxer

Dude, I don't think you're dropping any amazing new information on us here. Almost everyone on this site is aware that James "Lights Out" Toney is a former professional boxer. Nobody is forgetting it. He's still a one-dimensional fighter. Randy is a much more intelligent "fighter" than James Toney. Toney was never a technical boxer. He relied on his power. There are many MMA fighters who are better technical boxers now than Toney ever was.

Post #9   5/3/10 6:03:45PM   

TheGodfather1024

MMA Regular

TheGodfather1024 Avatar

Career:199-119
Chips:
Couture shouldn't stand with him....if he doesn't then he has this fight in the bag

Post #10   5/3/10 6:07:28PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
The only thing that James Toney has in his corner is A LOT of ring time. Man has fought for numerous years, but he isn't even considered a top 5 heavyweight for his decade. And his decade or 'era' is considered one of the worst eras for heavyweight boxing ever.

This guy couldn't beat John Ruiz, (the guy whe lost to Roy Jones Jr. when he became "heavyweight champion"), and he couldn't beat Hasim Rahman or Montell Griffin. These guys were all considered to be ranked contenders during their own prospective title shots.

This guy was a heavyweight when Lennox Lewis was champ and Roy Jones moved up from his light heavyweight division to boox John Ruiz.

One could argue that the highlight of James Toney's boxing career was when he was a middleweight.

The only real advantages I see that go in Toney's favor over Randy is the ring experience and the youth factor. Toney's 41 years old though. The last meaningful fight that Toney had was when he KO'd Holyfield in 2003.

Before that, his last quality opponent was in 1994. There is no way that Toney has any real quantifiable advantage over Randy. Not to say that Toney won't win, cause in this sport, all someone needs is 1 good punch.

Last edited 5/3/10 6:31PM server time by zxandu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   5/3/10 6:28:52PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Couture can shoot a double leg. You'd think more people would know that Couture isn't just a greco-roman wrestler.

Post #12   5/3/10 6:33:38PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
And refering to James Toney as someone with world class boxing skills is like saying Mike Tyson has emotional issues. Gross overstatement on his ability to box.

Post #13   5/3/10 6:36:10PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I did mention that he would probably use double leg in this fight a little bit further up.

Post #14   5/3/10 6:37:05PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by zxandu

And refering to James Toney as someone with world class boxing skills is like saying Mike Tyson has emotional issues. Gross overstatement on his ability to box.

You've clearly never seen Toney fight.

Post #15   5/3/10 7:24:18PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2