Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Roy Nelson vs. Cheick Kongo Possibly Off UFC 116

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Looks like the Roy Nelson International Road To The Top may be diverted. A planned Nelson vs. Cheick Kongo fight at UFC 116 may be off due to a Kongo back injury. Said Kongo, "I have to be able to start my preparation - the thing I haven't done yet. I am still injured. I don't think it would happen at UFC 116. Maybe later but not then. I didn't get any word from the UFC [on Nelson]. I have my manager Anthony who's working on that and as of today, I'm just actively recovering and nothing else." The deciding factor may be whether or not Kongo needs surgery-if yes, it's safe to say the fight is off.

Article

Post #1   4/30/10 6:40:23AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
The UFC could still give Roy a long road to the title by having fight Jr, Cain and Mir.

Post #2   4/30/10 9:01:21AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Give him Kimbo again after Kimbo fights Meathead. Would be a better fight this time around.

Post #3   4/30/10 9:25:18AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Give him Kimbo again after Kimbo fights Meathead. Would be a better fight this time around.

thats a big step back at this point and wont happen, although anyone against kimbo will be an easy sell to the masses. a guy like mir is probably on tap for roy, and it would make for a good fight.

Post #4   4/30/10 9:30:59AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

I definitely like this idea!!

So Roy Nelson KO's Brendan Shuab and Stefan Struve and suddenly he is at the top of the division ready to take on the best?? I don't think so.
Even if it doesn't happen next I definitely want to see a Kimbo/Nelson 2

Post #5   4/30/10 10:19:49AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Roy is on fire right now. Maybe I am overestimating his skill, but I bet Roy would have ko'd or tko Kongo on the ground.
They should give Roy tougher fights imo. There are not many in between guys from Kongo to Lesnar...only Mir, Jr, Cain Carwin is booked 4 title shot) and giving him a guy worse than Kongo would be taking a step back imo.

Roy vs Jr. Dos Santos would be a good matchup to keep Jr. busy while Cain and Carwin get their title shots. If Roy wins, he would have 3 wins in a row and beaten Jr who many think very highly of. At that point he would deserve a title shot. Or Roy could fight the looser of the Carwin Lesnar than get a title shot.

Post #6   4/30/10 11:23:08AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Roy is on fire right now. Maybe I am overestimating his skill, but I bet Roy would have ko'd or tko Kongo on the ground.
They should give Roy tougher fights imo. There are not many in between guys from Kongo to Lesnar...only Mir, Jr, Cain Carwin is booked 4 title shot) and giving him a guy worse than Kongo would be taking a step back imo.

Roy vs Jr. Dos Santos would be a good matchup to keep Jr. busy while Cain and Carwin get their title shots. If Roy wins, he would have 3 wins in a row and beaten Jr who many think very highly of. At that point he would deserve a title shot. Or Roy could fight the looser of the Carwin Lesnar than get a title shot.

I see what you're saying, but I can't help but feel like Roy might be overrated. There are a few other guys he could fight in my opinion, before going up to the top, such as: Todd Duffee, Pat Barry, Antoni Hardonk, James Toney. If he gets another win then give him some higher competition.

Post #7   4/30/10 12:26:44PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by DCRage

I definitely like this idea!!

So Roy Nelson KO's Brendan Shuab and Stefan Struve and suddenly he is at the top of the division ready to take on the best?? I don't think so.
Even if it doesn't happen next I definitely want to see a Kimbo/Nelson 2

Why would you want to see that? Kimbo's ground game won't advance fast enough for him to handle Roy this time, and I honestly think Roy has the advantage on the feet now.

Post #8   4/30/10 12:55:31PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I say give him Nog. Nog still holds clout and would be an interesting match-up for both fighters. I say Nog because people want to preserve the whole Lesnar, Carwin, JDS, and Velasquez deal for some sort out round robin tournament.

Post #9   4/30/10 2:45:29PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Nog, or Mir are good match ups for Roy right now. Both in skill set and a chance for all to prove themselves. None of them are at a title shot yet either so it makes sense. If you give him Hardonk or Kimbo or Barry then I think you are just setting him up for an easy win and a padded record. Those guys just have too big of a hole in thier ground games, which is why I would pick Roy over Kongo too.

Post #10   5/1/10 1:40:37PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Roy could fight Nog or Mir. If they setup Mir and Nog 2 then Roy could fight Gonzaga.

Post #11   5/1/10 1:54:09PM