Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko for UFC on Versus 2

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
While I agree I take jones in the fight, this isn't as bad a matchup as you think. Vlady has won his last three, and his chin is solid. He was KOed by Andre Arlovski, who if you don't remember was a professional boxer at one point, and he got KOed by a knee from lil nog. His other 2! loses come to Tito ortiz (unanimous decision) and some random guy when he was younger. Beyond that he has been dominant, with 7 KO/TKO and Subs, with 9 decisions. Thats not bad.

I like Jones in the fight, probably tko via verbal submission. (don't ask why it's so specific)

Post #16   4/28/10 8:48:39PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read a bunch of comments from a bunch of people who apparently don't know much about Vladimir Matyushenko. This is the toughest test for Jones by far. I think Jones will probably win the fight but I don't think it is going to be anywhere as easy as everyone thinks. It more than likely will go to the judges. Vlad has only been stopped twice...last year by Little Nog and 7 years ago by Arlovski. Who has Jones "beat"...Hamill (sort of) , Bonner, Vera, O'Brien, Gusmao and 6 "nobodys"? Not too impressive in my eyes. I think the horn of Jones is being honked way too early.

Post #17   4/28/10 9:06:37PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Really bad match-up for Vladimir. Vladimir's base is wrestling and when you get a guy like Jones who is equal to or better at wrestling it cant be good. That is if Jones adds his striking and lethal ground and pound to it which is pretty much a guarantee. Ive always liked Vladimir but i dont see this fight going past the first. Jones TKO rd by lethal ground and pound.

Post #18   4/28/10 9:13:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I just read a bunch of comments from a bunch of people who apparently don't know much about Vladimir Matyushenko. This is the toughest test for Jones by far. I think Jones will probably win the fight but I don't think it is going to be anywhere as easy as everyone thinks. It more than likely will go to the judges. Vlad has only been stopped twice...last year by Little Nog and 7 years ago by Arlovski. Who has Jones "beat"...Hamill (sort of) , Bonner, Vera, O'Brien, Gusmao and 6 "nobodys"? Not too impressive in my eyes. I think the horn of Jones is being honked way too early.

i know plenty about vlad and A#1 is that hes a wrestler. that being said, jones is a bigger, stronger, and faster wrestler that is also a more dynamic and just flat out better striker. so answer my question: where does vlad have an advantage in this fight thats big enough to win it for him because being a wily vet can only get you so far.

Post #19   4/28/10 9:39:53PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Vlad could pose some problems for Jones, I don't think this will be a one rounder at all unless Jones develops one punch knockout power between now and then. I think Jones wins easily but I think it goes the distance.

Post #20   4/29/10 12:29:49AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
I really thought they'd give jones a bigger fight than this.....

Oh well, guess they wanna rack some wins up for jones before they give him the title.

Post #21   4/29/10 1:33:14AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I don't want to watch this fight. I would rather see him fight the Spider! One elbow to Silva's face and he will stop dancing around.

Post #22   4/29/10 10:51:27AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Chips:
I feel like everyone is over estimating Jones a little bit. I'm the biggest nuthugger jones has, but Silva? come on now, be realistic. This kid isn't the second coming of jesus christ, at best he's anderson Silva v2, so give him some time to develop and give him some fights for experience before you toss him into the shark pool. Vera couldn't take the pressure, so they're giving jones more time. It's a smart move, and the guy is only 23. Let him take his time.

Post #23   4/29/10 1:01:49PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr

I feel like everyone is over estimating Jones a little bit. I'm the biggest nuthugger jones has, but Silva? come on now, be realistic. This kid isn't the second coming of jesus christ, at best he's anderson Silva v2, so give him some time to develop and give him some fights for experience before you toss him into the shark pool. Vera couldn't take the pressure, so they're giving jones more time. It's a smart move, and the guy is only 23. Let him take his time.

Brock got a title shot with only 2 wins and Aldo is only 23 years old. I'd say Jones is ready for prime time! In my opinion he is the answer to Silva's speed.

Post #24   4/29/10 2:01:14PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jon Jones is going to be great, but the hype right now is unbelievable. People think he'd dominate the likes of Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Nogueira, Anderson Silva? Seems ridiculous to crown anybody like that after defeating a few mid-tier fighters.

I think Jones is going to beat up Matyushenko, but Matyushenko's hard to "outclass." Veterans like that are wise enough to exploit whatever weaknesses their opponent may have demonstrated in the past. A good matchup, really.

Post #25   4/29/10 2:01:54PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Jon Jones is going to be great, but the hype right now is unbelievable. People think he'd dominate the likes of Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Nogueira, Anderson Silva? Seems ridiculous to crown anybody like that after defeating a few mid-tier fighters.

I think Jones is going to beat up Matyushenko, but Matyushenko's hard to "outclass." Veterans like that are wise enough to exploit whatever weaknesses their opponent may have demonstrated in the past. A good matchup, really.

I don't think anyone is saying he will dominates those fighters. I think we are saying he is ready for top tier guys right now. And Vera is not a mid-tier guy he was one win away from a title show at heavy weight. I honestly see him destroying Forrest and Jardine (see Bonnar fight). I only see Machida and Silva as being able to beat him right now. And God knows best...

Post #26   4/29/10 2:17:09PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
And now we get to see his sprawl tested. I like the match-up, it will tell us more about Jones then i think most people expect.

Last edited 4/29/10 2:35PM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   4/29/10 2:35:05PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The Janitor via UD

Post #28   4/29/10 7:13:45PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Bones will win, but Janitor will have a much better showing then Hamill or Vera...

I bet this fight goes past the first round...

Post #29   4/29/10 8:12:44PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Chips:

Posted by BigIP

Posted by Caesarrrr

Brock got a title shot with only 2 wins and Aldo is only 23 years old. I'd say Jones is ready for prime time! In my opinion he is the answer to Silva's speed.

How can you compare him to Lesnar? Lesnar had YEARS of wrestling experience before he ever entered the cage, and he was physically larger than any other heavyweight back then. Still is larger than most.

I Think the UFC is holding him back so he can mature. I definitely feel it's a good idea. I don't understand how you could want to risk a fighter with so much potential so early.

Post #30   4/30/10 1:14:17PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2