Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Paul Daley Not Interested In Rematch With "Boring" Jake Shields

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
There's been a lot of talk about Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Jake Shields coming to the UFC when his current contract expires -- but don't add Paul Daley to the list of people who are excited over the possibility of him competing inside the Octagon. Perhaps that's because "Semtex" was submitted by the grappling whiz back at Elite XC: "Heat" in October 2008. The British striker tells The Daily Record he's a much improved fighter since they last met but has no interest in avenging that loss simply because he doesn't want to subject himself to a boring fight.

Article

Post #1   4/28/10 10:32:21AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I can't imagine not wanting to get a win over someone you lost to if you felt you were better than them.

Post #2   4/28/10 11:40:54AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,613
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I like Paul Daley a lot more than I like Jake Shields, but Daley can't really call Shields boring for the fight that they had, Shields submitted him.

Last edited 4/28/10 12:09PM server time by jay98107
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/28/10 12:08:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
AKA, Paul Daley doesn't want to fight Jake Shields again because he knows he would lose... again.

Post #4   4/28/10 1:01:12PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

I can't imagine not wanting to get a win over someone you lost to if you felt you were better than them.

Because...

Posted by bjj1605

AKA, Paul Daley doesn't want to fight Jake Shields again because he knows he would lose... again.

Dang, beat me to it.

That said, if Daley can get his grappling up to a nice, competitive sprawl n' brawl level, I think he'd be a beast. I don't know who he trains with, though.

Post #5   4/28/10 1:28:24PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
I think Daley doesn't want the rematch because he knows he would get beat again. His only chance would be to knocked shields out which he could but shields game plan would be to good for Daley to do that. Even if Daley worked on his take down defense i highly doubt the work put in would be enough to stop shields from taking him down. I like Daley a lot more than shields but thats just how it is sometimes.

Post #6   4/28/10 1:32:24PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by MaxOne

Because...

Posted by bjj1605

Dang, beat me to it.

that's what i was saying too. If i felt i could beat someone and they held a win over me...i'd want a rematch just to have that win on my record as redemption.

Post #7   4/28/10 1:38:54PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
The only reasona Paul Daley is where he is is because noone has really tried to take him down. The guy really has A level striking, but he has the worst damn sprawl in the game.

Kos will probably lose because he will try to strike. Shieldswill kick his ass easily.

Post #8   4/28/10 1:50:32PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
LOL... (he doesnt wanna lose again thats why he doesnt wanna fix that loss by getiing a rematch IMO.

If Kos uses his wrestling, Kos will win , or we will see that Daley's grappling is better than when he faced Jake. If Kos strikes with Daley, he will get ktfo in the 1st, and Daley would get a title shot without having been on his back. I have a feeling Kos will strike with him because he beat Sanches and Yoshida and many others that way. John Fitch is the best gatekeeper for GSP, because if you cant survive his wrestling, which he always uses, you cant survive GSP wrestling.) IMO

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 4/28/10 2:16PM server time by icantthinkofanything
3 total post edits

Post #9   4/28/10 2:06:21PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
lol of course he doesn't want a rematch, he's not interested in getting another loss. He knows he can't beat shields, and he's trying to talk trash to hide the fact that he can't win.

Post #10   4/28/10 3:29:59PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Shields impressed me with his resilience in the Hendo fight. I'd favor him in a rematch with Daley.

I'll concede two points right off - I think Daley's aggression can last longer than a single round, and I think Shields really needs to work on the power of his strikes. That's not meant as fighter bashing - I just see his strikes as more of the old school Gracie line of thought that favor control and distraction to set up submissions.

I've caught a few episodes of Bully Beatdown and Shields generally doesn't score a lot of knockdowns against his opponents there, either. A few of the other guest mixed martial artists (like Eddie Alvarez) don't have the same issue.

Basically if Shields can learn to hit hard from at least the ground if not standing, I think he'll be a legit threat to anyone at 170.

Last edited 4/28/10 3:54PM server time by isk

Post #11   4/28/10 3:52:17PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by isk

Shields impressed me with his resilience in the Hendo fight. I'd favor him in a rematch with Daley.

I'll concede two points right off - I think Daley's aggression can last longer than a single round, and I think Shields really needs to work on the power of his strikes. That's not meant as fighter bashing - I just see his strikes as more of the old school Gracie line of thought that favor control and distraction to set up submissions.

I've caught a few episodes of Bully Beatdown and Shields generally doesn't score a lot of knockdowns against his opponents there, either. A few of the other guest mixed martial artists (like Eddie Alvarez) don't have the same issue.

Basically if Shields can learn to hit hard from at least the ground if not standing, I think he'll be a legit threat to anyone at 170.

When was Shields on Bully Beatdown?

Post #12   4/28/10 6:10:19PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by isk

I can't remember which episode it was, but I can confirm that happening, as I remember him being on there and thinking "wow, they actually got a champion-level mma guy on here."

He actually didn't do to much, really, which kinda made me sad.

Post #13   4/28/10 7:41:59PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
We'll all get to see Daleys TD defence at 113. KOS is definatly going to put him to the test there.

Post #14   4/28/10 7:57:24PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by isk

I can't remember which episode it was, but I can confirm that happening, as I remember him being on there and thinking "wow, they actually got a champion-level mma guy on here."

He actually didn't do to much, really, which kinda made me sad.

I just thought it was strange considering Shield's relationship with Mayhem.

Post #15   4/29/10 12:46:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2