Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White says WEC's Henderson deserves top ranking, doesn't expect media to follow suit

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
While both UFC and WEC officials have consistently denied any and all reports of a potential merger between the two organizations, there is one undeniable challenge created by the dual fight promotions.

How do you manage two separate 155-pound divisions?

UFC president Dana White recently said that the promotions will likely one day merge the two divisions into the UFC, but for now, he's got another idea for his top WEC lightweights: send them to Japan.

"What I need to do is send them somewhere else so they can become ranked No. 2 and then bring them back," White joked with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "That's what I really need to do."

LINK

Post #1   4/28/10 10:24:52AM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
The main problem i have with Dana is when he feels something is out of place he will be controversial about the situation and bring it up every chance he gets. Many people buy into Dana so when there is another opinion about something people automatically think Dana is right. When it comes to the lightweight rankings i dont see Henderson in the top 10. Thats just my own opinion. The class is to stacked to throw Henderson in the top ten just because he is the WEC champion. If Dana has a problem with Henderson not being ranked then go a head and throw him in the UFC. Whats Dana waiting for. If he does put Henderson in UFC i can put money down guaranteeing he will never be in the top 7. I like Ben Henderson but there is reality and then there is the place where Dana lives.

Post #2   4/28/10 10:43:05AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Chips:

Posted by runningman08

The main problem i have with Dana is when he feels something is out of place he will be controversial about the situation and bring it up every chance he gets. Many people buy into Dana so when there is another opinion about something people automatically think Dana is right. When it comes to the lightweight rankings i dont see Henderson in the top 10. Thats just my own opinion. The class is to stacked to throw Henderson in the top ten just because he is the WEC champion. If Dana has a problem with Henderson not being ranked then go a head and throw him in the UFC. Whats Dana waiting for. If he does put Henderson in UFC i can put money down guaranteeing he will never be in the top 7. I like Ben Henderson but there is reality and then there is the place where Dana lives.

This is Dana's way of getting the hype train rolling. I wouldn't put too much stock into it. It's his job to build future stars.

Post #3   4/28/10 10:45:08AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Chips:
Beating Varner and Cerreone doesnt earn you a top ten spot IMO.

Post #4   4/28/10 11:48:45AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:904-633
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
("I totally agree with Dana White. Fighters get so much hype for being in Dream or in Japan. People love Pride so much, they overvalue Dream, Japan and SF, becuase they are jealous the UFC swallows their favorite org. It is not about the leaugue, its the fighters who are good or bad. Right now UFC has the top guys, many are not very flashy, but they get the job done, like Grey Maynard. Benson may not be able to beat BJ, Grey or Edgar, but Benson is better than Aoki, jaochim , Alvarez, Hirota and Kawajiri (whoever they are) or anyone else in Dream for that matter. I have Benson Henderson on my top 10 list. I think Benson is the number 5 or 6 lw in the world.") IMO

("It all started when Fedor stayed with the minor leauges in stead of going UFC. Now non ufc fighters get praise for not fighting the best a nd move up the ranks by default.l What I mean is once another UFC guy gets beat, Aoki and Kawajiri move up simply cuz they havent fought a UFC champ so no one knows how it would matrch up.") IMO

I would pick Benson to beat Melendez also.

Last edited 4/28/10 1:55PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: In my opinion emphasis lol

Post #5   4/28/10 12:19:35PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't think Henderson would get past El Nino, or Aoki. He is talented but he's not at that level yet.

Post #6   4/28/10 1:03:55PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I totally agree with Dana White. Fighters get so much hype for being in Dream or in Japan. People love Pride so much, they overvalue Dream, Japan and SF, becuase they are jealous the UFC swallows their favorite org. It is not about the leaugue, its the fighters who are good or bad. Right now UFC has the top guys, many are not very flashy, but they get the job done, like Grey Maynard. Benson may not be able to beat BJ, Grey or Edgar, but Benson is better than Aoki, jaochim , Alvarez, Hirota and Kawajiri (whoever they are) or anyone else in Dream for that matter. I have Benson Henderson on my top 10 list. I think Benson is the number 5 or 6 lw in the world.

It all started when Fedor stayed with the minor leauges in stead of going UFC. Now non ufc fighters get praise for not fighting the best a nd move up the ranks by default.l What I mean is once another UFC guy gets beat, Aoki and Kawajiri move up simply cuz they havent fought a UFC champ so no one knows how it would matrch up.

I agree with Dana and with you. The UFC is the undisputed #1 organization. It's obvious to anyone who cares to look that they have the best fighters. To be honest it's very hard for me to rank anyone outside of the UFC in the top ten. I'm frequently proven right like I feel I was with Gegard and like I feel I would be if Fedor fought Frank Mir, Junior Dos Santos, Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, or Brock Lesnar. He might be able to beat a couple of them but I guarantee you he would lose to somebody.

Aoki was so overhyped because he fought in dream. He got schooled by Melendez. I think that Ben Henderson would absolutely beat either of them.

Maybe Ben hasn't proved his top 10 raning yet, but niether has Gil or any of the Japanese fighters. It's no more ridiculous to rank him as number 3 than it is to put Gil at #3 like they suggested in strikeforce.

Edit: The only tough thing for me is deciding who to get rid of to put Ben in. Soda Pop has been great lately and one more win will make him an obvious top ten. But for now I thik Ben will take his spot.

Last edited 4/28/10 1:16PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   4/28/10 1:06:36PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:904-633
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
1 BJ Penn

2 Frankie Edgar

3 Kenny Florian

4 Gray Maynard

5 Benson Henderson

6 Diego Sanchez

7 Gilbert Melendez

8 Tyson Griffin

9 Shinya Aoki

10 Eddie Alvarez

Post #8   4/28/10 1:52:31PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I don't think Henderson would get past El Nino, or Aoki. He is talented but he's not at that level yet.

I'm sorry, but after the first Cowboy Henderson fight I want to know what the hell would happen in an Aoki fight.

Post #9   4/28/10 1:56:09PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Chips:

("I totally agree with Dana White. Fighters get so much hype for being in Dream or in Japan. People love Pride so much, they overvalue Dream, Japan and SF, becuase they are jealous the UFC swallows their favorite org. It is not about the leaugue, its the fighters who are good or bad. Right now UFC has the top guys, many are not very flashy, but they get the job done, like Grey Maynard. Benson may not be able to beat BJ, Grey or Edgar, but Benson is better than Aoki, jaochim , Alvarez, Hirota and Kawajiri (whoever they are) or anyone else in Dream for that matter. I have Benson Henderson on my top 10 list. I think Benson is the number 5 or 6 lw in the world.") IMO

("It all started when Fedor stayed with the minor leauges in stead of going UFC. Now non ufc fighters get praise for not fighting the best a nd move up the ranks by default.l What I mean is once another UFC guy gets beat, Aoki and Kawajiri move up simply cuz they havent fought a UFC champ so no one knows how it would matrch up.") IMO

I'd Pick Benson to beat Aoki. Stylistically he may just have Aoki's number. Though, all respect to the Flashy Pants Master, his judo can pull off what seems impossible.

However - Kawajiri, Melendez, and Alvarez would eat Ben-Hen and win every round.

I sincerely doubt Benson could transition to a favorable position with any of them nor maintain position if he gets a takedown, which is not going to happen as much as him getting taken down. The kid has great scrambles, but Melendez is the Anti-Scramble guy. Watch the Fight with Guida. Against Both Alvarez and Kawajiri hes going to get overpowered physically and outstruck on the feet, I see no avenue of victory.

Like you said, its the fighters not the league. Kawajiri, Melendez, Alvarez, and Aoki would all do well in the Ufc. Not Bj well, but well enough to put contender runs together with a bit of luck. I think you're crazy if you can't see that.

Post #10   4/28/10 2:33:12PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Man everyone is piling a topn on pressure on Henderson. Whats wrong with being the WEC champ. The man dominated in his first defense, let him enjoy it. As for sending top WEC LW to fight in Japan??? When they are ready, bring them to the UFC. It kinda undermines the WEC to second best to the UFC....but is that any kind of news to anyone!??

Post #11   4/28/10 8:12:21PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

I think fighters in Japan have been ranked higher because Japanesse promotions always had the best fighters, and then a few years ago the ufc took some, and started recruiting the rest, and people still haven't figured that out.

As for Henderson, he's 11th. But I don't see how you could rank him above the top 10 guys in the UFC when he's in a promotion that typically consists of Sub par lightweights.

Post #12   4/28/10 8:53:20PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Aoki would choke him out, I think he would do it fairly easy, Aoki is not a joke, I picked Melendez over Aoki because Melendez knows how to avoid submissions and bad situations, he doesn't pose the same threat. Melendez would hold him down and beat him up like he does to most everybody, I think that would be a closer fight than Aoki would be.

Post #13   4/29/10 12:08:35AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think people overrate the overall skill level of the fighters in the WEC, no offense intended.

People are always throwing the 145 champ in the p4p rankings no matter who has the belt. I don't think any of the divisions in the WEC have enough depth to even be considered for such rankings. Not that the fighters aren't awesome, but there just is so little competition at 145 and below because the sport is so young, and I also think that people confuse extreme agility and speed of smaller fighters with higher skill levels. Steel sharpens steel, and there just isn't that much amazing competition in the WEC that the fighters can force each other to improve at the rate that UFC fighters need to in order to keep up with the rest of the division.

I realize Henderson is 155, not 145, but I think most of the same logic basically applies for their 155 division. The toughest 155ers are in the UFC, and until guys like Benson actually step up to that level of competition, I don't think they can be ranked at the same level. They have a bunch of tough guys, but I don't think anyone in the WEC can crack the top5 of the UFC's division, and possibly not even the top 10.

I think this is especially true because of how wrestler-heavy the UFC is in particular. I think if a lot of these guys had to deal with guys like Guida, Maynard, Sherk, etc. who can just take them down and control them, they wouldn't look as good as they do in the WEC.

Post #14   4/29/10 7:15:25AM