Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 113's Matt Mitrione says forget what you think you know about him, "Kimbo Slice"

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Matt Mitrione (1-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) knows a thing or two about being pigeonholed, and he's not about to do that to UFC 113 opponent and fellow "The Ultimate Fighter 10" veteran Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (4-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC).

Mitrione, a former linebacker and defensive tackle in the NFL, got a reputation on the Spike TV series as a difficult-to-work-with brooder that rubbed his teammates the wrong way. Ferguson already had a reputation as an MMA greenie made famous by the good fortune of YouTube.

Six months after the program aired, both continue to grow as mixed martial artists and carve out identities in the UFC. Mitrione says he's not bothered by his image. All he's focused on is beating Slice, and do to that, he's trying to forget all that he thinks he knows about the bearded fighter.

LINK

Post #1   4/28/10 10:23:18AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
Kimbo is gonna punch a hole in Meatheads brain

Post #2   4/28/10 11:23:39AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i'm expecting Mitrione to win this.

Post #3   4/28/10 11:42:36AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Anything is possible, but Kimbo has much better striking.
Kimbo was even out-striking Roy Nelson, his downfall in that fight was getting taken down. As long as Kimbo busts his ass to work on his ground game he should walk right through Mitrione.

Post #4   4/28/10 11:51:30AM   

gcraig22

MMA Regular

gcraig22 Avatar

Career:617-408
Chips:
Mitrione is going to TKO Slice in round 1. He is gonna drop him with a straight left and finish him with ground strikes.

Last edited 4/28/10 1:03PM server time by gcraig22
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/28/10 1:03:06PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Everybody out strikes Nelson, then he lands that overhand right, that isn't that impressive.

Post #6   4/28/10 1:06:04PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Meathead needs to remember the right hand of Kimbo for sure. I see it going to the way of Slice!!!

Post #7   4/28/10 8:26:44PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Meathead by TKO in the first, Kimbo's power is terribly overrated in my mind.

Post #8   4/28/10 8:32:53PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Everybody out strikes Nelson, then he lands that overhand right, that isn't that impressive.

I don't know man, Kimbo was seriously taking it to Nelson on the feet. If Roy stood any longer with him he was gonna get KOed.
I really think Matt Mitrione is too soft. Kimbo will eat him up and spit him out.

P.S. Just because I think Kimbo can beat Mitrione doesn't mean I think he's gonna be champ one day. I think Kimbo can and will win this fight. After that, who knows.

Post #9   4/28/10 10:40:01PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by MaxOne

Kimbo was even out-striking Roy Nelson, his downfall in that fight was getting taken down. As long as Kimbo busts his ass to work on his ground game he should walk right through Mitrione.

What if Mitrione is also busting his ass? Kimbo isn't fighting a small 205er this time either.

Post #10   4/29/10 3:40:21PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by MaxOne

What if Mitrione is also busting his ass? Kimbo isn't fighting a small 205er this time either.

I'm sure he is, but I think Kimbo is the better fighter to begin with.

Post #11   4/30/10 12:16:50AM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:918-541
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

Meathead by TKO in the first, Kimbo's power is terribly overrated in my mind.

Yea, I would agree.

Unfortunately I expect this fight to be terrible.

Kimbo and Mitrione have bad gas tanks, if this fight goes past the 1st, it will be awful.

Mitrione has the power and the reach advantage, and even shown in his fight against Scott Junk, that even though he was completely gassed.. he literally won the second round and the fight solely on the basis of sticking out the jab near Junk's face. 90% of those jabs didnt even land, but by literally sticking it out (moreso flinging an extended arm while his hands dangled by his sides) he happened to be more offensive by using the jab defensively (if he would have thrown anything else he probably would have fell over).

In the 3rd round of the Kimbo/Houston fight Houston threw up a couple of sloppy jabs while his hands were dangling on the ground near the body of Kimbo that made Kimbo unable to counter/too tired to counter.

I think Mitrione takes the 1st round - then we enter 10 minutes of spaghetti arm flailing, where Mitrione sloppily backs up Kimbo with a jab in the 3rd winning a U.Decision.

I hate to be so negative about the fight. Mitrione definitely has the edge though IMO, Mitrione I think has shown more improvement than Kimbo has during each of their fights on the Finale card. Mitrione I think could probably be good enough to stick around for a while. He was able to stay composed on his back against Marcus Jones even when Marcus had him in side mount, knew how to wall-walk, and had the ability to work for an underhook when pressed up against the cage defending a takedown.

Kimbo was ultimately able to survive because he was able to out-muscle Houston do to a strength advantage... and he's not going to have that advantage against Mitrione. Kimbo also IMO didn't show as much technical improvement in comparison to Matt Mitrione.

I'd be more inclined to think that Kimbo might try to push him Mitrione against the fence and try to overpower Mitrione, but Mitrione has the reach, strength, and power advantage, and I feel he has shown greater improvement than Kimbo.

I hope for at least a decent fight, but I clearly favor Mitrione.

Last edited 4/30/10 1:52AM server time by dosbox
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   4/30/10 1:49:49AM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
Kimbo didnt tap- Kimbo didnt say goodnight but he was dominated by a sloppy mitrone.

Post #13   5/9/10 1:40:02PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by MaxOne

I'm sure he is, but I think Kimbo is the better fighter to begin with.

Looks like Mitrione is the better fighter.

Post #14   5/9/10 2:54:27PM