Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC 48's Mike Brown says nothing interfered with his camp for Manny Gamburyan

Print  
Posted By Message

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Former WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown says he was not distracted by personal issues leading into his fight with Manny Gamburyan this past Saturday at WEC 48.

After Brown suffered a first-round knockout to Gamburyan, UFC president Dana White told reporters that the former champion suffered personal problems in training camp and said he was tipped off to the issue by Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and famed MMA trainer Mark DellaGrotte.

"I'm not sure where everything's coming from," Brown today told MMAjunkie.com. "I've talked to Jake before, and I know Mark. Everybody has issues going on but it wasn't a factor in my fight."

Full Article -Here-

Post #1   4/26/10 8:51:15PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
When your training partner and coach are singing the same tune about personal issues there might be some credence to the claims. Props to Brown for taking the loss like a man but I'm more inclined to believe that not everything was right before this fight. Regardless, he will bounce back and do just fine.

Post #2   4/26/10 9:01:33PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I too give Brown credit for taking the high road in the loss

Post #3   4/26/10 9:04:54PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I like Brown. He seems like a no-nonsense guy when he gives interview and any fighter who can enter to Simple Man (be it a cover or the original) is cool in my book.

I really didn't like Dana coming to Brown's "defense" and making what seemed like excuses for him. Brown's a big boy and does just fine speaking for himself. Not to mention the fact that Dana had every oppertunity to promote the latest contender to Aldo's belt in Manny Gamburian.

Bottom line is: If Manny doesn't land that punch square the fight doesn't end at that particular time. Gotta give credit where it's do Dana.

Post #4   4/26/10 10:48:55PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ya, its kinda silly that Dana feels the need to stick up for him. He's a grown man and a professional. Manny won the fight, give credit where credit is due.

Mad props to Brown for retracting the statement.

Post #5   4/26/10 10:56:46PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Something was obviously wrong with Mike Brown in that fight. Considering the way he fought against Faber both times, standing right in front of Manny Gamburyan so he would erase his reach advantage so he could eat some powerful punches from a short, powerful man seemed an obvious and great tactical error. I would take Brown in a rematch if he's righted himself in his personal life.

That being said, I am glad Brown does not make excuses for himself. He's good enough that once he has resolved his life issues, the only excuse he will need is in the cage.

I can not tell whom I like most sometimes: Brown, Faber, or Aldo. They all seem like real fighters with honesty.

Post #6   4/26/10 10:58:05PM   

TheGodfather1024

MMA Regular

TheGodfather1024 Avatar

Career:199-119
Chips:
He just got caught....it happens

Post #7   4/27/10 1:06:44AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Brown ****** up and got smoked. Simple as that. There is no scientific evidence that personal issues soften your chin or erode your skills. If anything it would have hurt his conditioning and the fight didn't last long enough to know if it did.

Post #8   4/27/10 12:08:51PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
My respect for him went up again.

I feel like the key word here isn't "nothing was going on" but where he he says "it wasn't a factor."

Even if he did have personal problems he's telling you right now that he doesn't feel they affected the fight, and really who could have predicted Manny would get a KO over brown? Manny's standup wasn't that great before the fight, and Brown had never been KOed.

Post #9   4/27/10 5:34:51PM