Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White OK with WEC champ Jose Aldo's non-finish, open to 135-pound and UFC bids

Print  
Posted By Message

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo's first title defense wasn't exactly a nail-biter. But it didn't come close to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's much-maligned UFC 112 performance, said UFC president Dana White.

The UFC figurehead conceded a finish would have been nice, though. After a night filled with barnburners, Aldo's decision win ended WEC 48 on a conservative note.

"Obviously the main event is always the big topper," White said of Aldo's fight with Urijah Faber. "I think [Aldo] could have finished that fight. I think he was being very – I'll call it extremely cautious."

Full Article -Here-

Post #1   4/25/10 4:09:37PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Aldo was totally conservative. The fight looked like hughes vs renzo with the kicks taking away Faber's legs,only without the finish. How can you be concerned about getting ko'd by a guy who is practically hopping on one leg?

A lot of mma champ fights are not being finished recently. I hope mma doesnt turn into boxing where judges decisions are the outcome all the time.

Post #2   4/25/10 4:20:03PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have no problem with Aldo sticking to his cautious game plan, especially considering his past performances. If he found it necessary to stay distant to win the fight out of a respect for the power and accuracy of Faber's striking, so be it. Except for the fourth round, Faber was very good at not creating opportunities to get punched in the face for Aldo.

Faber's no dummy, and even though Aldo had the fight in the bag after the third round, moving in close to trade blow for blow would have erased all the damage he had done to the legs and mobility of Faber.

Aldo's still relatively young and learning (which is scary), and I'm sure he'll take lessons from this fight into the future about when's the right time to finish. We know he's a talented stud and the fight intelligence he demonstrated against Faber only adds to his status as a legitimate P4P elite.

Post #3   4/25/10 4:36:13PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
As the pay goes up, this will become more and more common. To lose would be very costly. Smart money is on caution.

Post #4   4/25/10 4:48:01PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Aldo did a great job. He might have played it a little bit on the conservative side but he came very close to finishing the fight several times. The only time I though he should have been more aggressive than he was, was the 5th round. Other than that I give Faber the credit for hanging in there.

Better question: Two of the judges gave one round to Faber. What round could Faber have possibly won?

Post #5   4/25/10 6:13:19PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Better question: Two of the judges gave one round to Faber. What round could Faber have possibly won?

The first. It was a pretty insignificant offensive round from both sides, but Faber landed about as many strikes on Aldo that round as Aldo landed on Faber, even though none of them were clean and flush. The reason I gave that round to Faber personally is because Faber connected with a few soft punches to Aldo's face, and Aldo just focused on kicking at Faber's legs and midsection according to the game plan that was just starting.

Close enough round, really.

Post #6   4/25/10 6:20:06PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by bjj1605

The first. It was a pretty insignificant offensive round from both sides, but Faber landed about as many strikes on Aldo that round as Aldo landed on Faber, even though none of them were clean and flush. The reason I gave that round to Faber personally is because Faber connected with a few soft punches to Aldo's face, and Aldo just focused on kicking at Faber's legs and midsection according to the game plan that was just starting.

Close enough round, really.

I thought that Aldo was way more aggressive in that round. Controlled the distance. Dictated when the fighters would engage. Landed the harder/cleaner shots and knocked Urijah off of his feet several times.

Even the closest round in the fight was clearly Aldo's round. The judges have no idea what they're doing.

Post #7   4/25/10 6:27:26PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Aldo looked great. no reason to compare it to anderson's last performance.

Post #8   4/25/10 6:51:50PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
At the very worst Aldo may have given Faber a tad too much respect. Comparing Aldo to Silva should be a crime.

Post #9   4/25/10 7:59:19PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
Aldo is only 23 HALF (Randy's age). Can you imagine how good this kid going to be once he hits Anderson's age? Aldo's a freak of nature.

Post #10   4/26/10 1:36:55AM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:
You fight to win it is a SPORT do you ever see the teams in the NFL playing to excite the fans no some games are exciting some are not. I say keep it up wins like fitch if you have to i will all ways watch MMA

Post #11   4/26/10 3:18:26AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by StriderXero

Aldo is only 23 HALF (Randy's age). Can you imagine how good this kid going to be once he hits Anderson's age? Aldo's a freak of nature.

Aldo could be in a serious decline or even finished in 10+ years.

Post #12   4/26/10 11:06:28AM