Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White reveals that Versus, Spike TV agreements reason for brandless fight card

Print  
Posted By Message

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – After several days avoiding the question to the best of his ability, UFC president Dana White finally revealed the true reason "Aldo vs. Faber" was held without any brand connection to the WEC.

TV exposure.

"[The WEC and UFC] are two different brands on two different networks," White said. "Even though they're owned by the same company, they're two different brands owned by the same company. The networks aren't going to let us do it."

Full Article -Here-

Post #1   4/25/10 1:24:35PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Kind of a weird situation for Zuffa to be in. I really think that all of the stuff leading up to this PPV is related to disolving the WEC into the UFC. It might not happen in the next yr but I think it will!

Post #2   4/25/10 4:50:33PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I don't believe it. Not one WEC logo, besides the belts, not one mention of WEC and even when they announced the Edmonton Card they called it Varner vs Shalorus.

The writing is on the wall, RIP WEC.

I'm not saying I know what will happen, but I think it's either a merger or a complete re-brand.

Post #3   4/25/10 5:02:27PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
Dana says "That's what we are at the end of the day: a pay-per-view company."...I hate to hear that. It is time to not be a PPV Co anymore. There was no "branding" huh? Then why was the countdown was called "UFC Countdown"? A WEC event called UFC. Hmmm. They need to dump the WEC already. I think that is the long term plan. Throw the 135 and 145 into the UFC. The UFC would then have both SPIKE and VS as an outlet.

Post #4   4/25/10 6:23:32PM