Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roy Nelson Says Kongo Next, Likely At UFC 116

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne
i'm curious how you've come to this conclusion about roy and his hatred of being punched in the face.

Most people look angry or hurt or even stonefaced after getting hit. Nelson looked petulant after Arlovski started pouring it on towards the end of that fight.

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #16   4/25/10 7:04:28PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I can't see Kongo winning this match, he tends to get beat up pretty easily by decent grapplers. He does have a chance as long as the fight stays standing, but Roy is the new gatekeeper and we could be nearing the Kongo era in the UFC.

There's a Kongo era? Did I miss something

Post #17   4/25/10 7:15:10PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
I like the match up. I think if Roy can watch out for Kongo's jab then he can get the fight to the ground and from there submit him. My guess would be a Kimura.

Post #18   4/25/10 7:25:22PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I can see kongo winning with range and knees. But i'll pick Nelson because i dont allow myself to pick kongo anymore.

Post #19   4/25/10 10:09:09PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by isk

Posted by MaxOne
i'm curious how you've come to this conclusion about roy and his hatred of being punched in the face.

Most people look angry or hurt or even stonefaced after getting hit. Nelson looked petulant after Arlovski started pouring it on towards the end of that fight.

Anyone who gets hit flush by Arlovski is going to look petulant. Arlovski has big power and great hands. Better hands than Kongos...

Post #20   4/25/10 11:49:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Too bad he doesn't have a chin to match those hands.

Post #21   4/25/10 11:53:17PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,410-903
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by isk

Posted by MaxOne

Anyone who gets hit flush by Arlovski is going to look petulant. Arlovski has big power and great hands. Better hands than Kongos...

To me that fight never happened.

I think of this fight a lot like the Kongo and Herring fight, but with a much better grappler. I think that Roy has a lot better takedown defense than Heath, but if he gets put on his back I think he'll be able to sweep Kongo with ease and dominate him with the belly, like he was doing against Arlovski...I mean...

Post #22   4/26/10 12:40:52AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Arlovski is infinitely better on the ground than Kongo. I still want to know about this Kongo era that someone was referring to earlier.

Post #23   4/26/10 12:51:12AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I had ROy winning the fight against Arlovski until the dumb ref had them stand up while Roy had dominant position on the ground. I don't know how a person looks petulant, penitent, or perturbed while getting punched in the face. All I know is, I've seen Roy in some wars (Ben Rothwell comes to mind) and I didn't see him backing down at all. He has improved since that time and has shown his power by KO'ing the guys that he's faced so far. So.....i think the Kongo fight will be a good measuring stick because Kongo is a bit of a gatekeeper. If you can beat Kongo you can fight the top guys. If you can't beat Kongo--you can't fight the top guys. He's good enough to better than the chumps, but not good enough to be elite...unless he gets a meaningful ground game and a defense that negates the KO.

Post #24   4/26/10 1:24:10AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
kongo MIGHT take roy down, but good luck keeping him down.

Post #25   4/26/10 5:57:57AM   

manstrabula

Learning to Sprawl

manstrabula Avatar

Career:402-376
Chips:
The big redneck versus the muscle bound french guy. The mullet will over shower over Kongo in victory

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #26   4/26/10 11:24:51AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by isk

Posted by MaxOne

to me roy looked like he was mad at himself....(although I thought it looked like it was arlovski's knee that rocked him not the hands.)

that fight is a terrible example though because Roy clearly won the first round. Who knows what would have happened if the ref didn't step in. It may have went the same way but that was seriously a terrible stand up. Side control is dominant. It's not like he was stuck in the guard.

Post #27   4/26/10 12:01:06PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i think roy's underestimated by a lot of people because of physique, but hes got power and good wrestling. i could see him putting Congo in the crucifix and pounding him out like he did to kimbo. congo's just not that impressive anywhere, im not even impressed with his striking even though a lot of people say hes a good striker.

Post #28   4/26/10 9:26:07PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Roy can get as far as a gatekeeper within the HW division. Once you reach the top tier: Carwin, Lesnar, Velasquez, and JDS, you're dealing with a whole different animal. Roy won't be able to use his size on those gentlemen and will most definitely be at a disadvantage in the striking game. If nothing else because of the sheer size of those opponents. He could, realistically, beat several of them but I can't see him running the gauntlet of those four without a couple loses if he even makes it past the first.

Post #29   4/26/10 9:40:17PM   

TheGodfather1024

MMA Regular

TheGodfather1024 Avatar

Career:199-119
Chips:
I got Nelson winning

Post #30   4/27/10 1:14:03AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2