Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Couture vs. James Toney targeted for August's UFC 118 in Boston

Print  
Who Wins?
Randy Couture 51 80%
James Toney 13 20%
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Yeah...Toney can box REALLY dirty. I'm sure he's had many wars in Philly in the gym where it got dirtier than a mud bath. I really like Toney and I'd love to see him fight a striker but it is extremely doubtful that he can stop the takedown attempts of Coture. In fact, he'll get taken down on the very first one. Toney will talk though and make it more entertaining by saying that Randy was a little snitch for not being willing to bang with him. hahaBut yeah the clinch against the cage may not be the best thing. I mean telling a guy like Bernard Hopkins or James toney that you can hit people with shoulders and elbows? Come on man. That's like a dream for them. ;)

YUP.
by mma standards Randy has great dirty boxing but he doesn't want none from Toney. He will lose.
randy needs to not tie up & not stand....get it to the ground. game over.

Post #31   4/23/10 9:19:51PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Toney will kill it in dirty boxing.

Post #32   4/23/10 9:21:03PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:
it's called dirty boxing because the techniques involved are not legal in boxing. ie; holding behind the head and hitting. i'm sure toney is aware of these techniques but it seems highly unlikely that he would beat a world class greco roman wrestler and dirty boxing expert and pioneer in that facet of the game.
nonetheless, i doubt couture will want, or need, to spend much time in this position.

Post #33   4/24/10 7:56:48AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Randy is good at strategy. I am sure Randy knows that wall n stall could be a bad tactic, because Toney can use the same dirty boxing on Couture and ko him.
I dont think Randy has to worry about a Shane Carwin vs Mir type of KO in the clinch. The worry of ko comes from going toe 2 toe imo. Randy closed the distance well vs Vera, even though it didnt always look pretty. If Randy can secure a win vs Vera, a technical striker with good mma skills, he certainly could take Toney. If Toney wins, I bet they will try to give him a title shot vs Machida, but Toney will want Lesnar for the big money.

Randy by rnc rd 3.

go Capt. America

Post #34   4/24/10 10:35:34AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
lmfao wow I cant believe they are doing this.

Im sure randy should be able to get him down and gnp him for 15 minutes but he better hope he can grab the takedown without getting too close and taking a shot. James Toney is a shadow of his former self but he still has laser accuracy and with those gloves it wouldn't even take a solid strike for him to KO captain america.

Post #35   4/26/10 8:48:05PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Randy should be able to use his wrestling to win the fight, but I also wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him get KTFO. If Toney lands one punch I would bet Randy would go down real fast.

Post #36   4/26/10 8:54:01PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3