Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jake Shields Is Definitely Going To Leave Strikeforce-And He's Definitely Coming To UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Those are Dana White's words, so don't read too much into this. Yet. After all, we know what happened last time he used the word "definitely". Anyway, he says it will definitely happen. "Jake Shields is definitely going to leave Strikeforce, and he's definitely coming to the UFC. First of all, they put all of their eggs in the Dan Henderson basket. They went out and acquired him and thought he was worth a lot more money than we were willing to pay him. They went out and paid him more money than they can afford to. They never respected Jake Shields, who is their champion. They didn't even have him in their commercials for the fight. Then the fight happens and Jake Shields wins. They were like, 'Oh my God. He won. What do we do?' I think they sent (Miller) in there to challenge him, so that if Jake leaves, it looks like he doesn't want to fight Miller. That‘s not the way you do it. You let the winner speak, then you ask him at the end about whether he‘s willing to fight Miller. But that's them. They're a Podunk, unknown, small-time organization. There shouldn‘t have been that many guys in the cage in the first place!"

Article

Last edited 4/22/10 10:20AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/22/10 10:20:11AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I actually believe Dana on this. Shields is good friends with Chuck and Chuck has openly said he thinks Shields will do really well in the UFC.
Also you've got to factor in the fact that Strikeforce actually did all those things Dana said as well as pay a contender almost double what the champ is on.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Shields is fighting in the UFC as early as late summer.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   4/22/10 11:56:58AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
How gay do GSP and Shields look in that picture.

Post #3   4/22/10 12:09:00PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Okay Dana I see what your saying but I find it an absolute joke how you speak of Strikeforce disrespecting Shields by bringing Mayhem in the cage.
I'm not saying that isn't the case,maybe they did.
But It's no different than how you, Mr.White and the brass at the UFC disrespected Rampage after his title win by throwing hendo in the cage and stealing some of the thunder from your new champion because he beat your poster boy.
or let me ask this-
What's worse?
Strikeforce putting little to no promotion for one of their most legit fighters or the UFC stocking promo after promo for fighters whos' popularity heavily out weighs their skills?

I believe what Dana is saying may be true but their's so many double standards you can use to steam roll him when he speaks it's almost no longer funny.

Post #4   4/22/10 12:44:56PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I don't think he'll hold a title while GSP and Silva are around but it will make for an even more competetive division, depending on where he goes.

Post #5   4/22/10 1:58:47PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,379-866
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
dana white is bad for mma. the more he opens his mouth the more i wish he wouldnt. coker has always been a genuine dude. maybe sf did underestimate shields but so did everyone else. nobody thought jake was gonna win. white badmouths everything every single chance he gets. he needs to redirect some of that critizisim towards him self. podunk org? thats laughable. hes angry cause they got the deal he couldnt and they got alot of fighters he couldnt. not every fighter cares only about money. from what i hear they get treated pretty good over at sf.

Post #6   4/22/10 2:44:03PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Those are Dana White's words, so don't read too much into this. Yet. After all, we know what happened last time he used the word "definitely". Anyway, he says it will definitely happen. "Jake Shields is definitely going to leave Strikeforce, and he's definitely coming to the UFC. First of all, they put all of their eggs in the Dan Henderson basket. They went out and acquired him and thought he was worth a lot more money than we were willing to pay him. They went out and paid him more money than they can afford to. They never respected Jake Shields, who is their champion. They didn't even have him in their commercials for the fight. Then the fight happens and Jake Shields wins. They were like, 'Oh my God. He won. What do we do?' I think they sent (Miller) in there to challenge him, so that if Jake leaves, it looks like he doesn't want to fight Miller. That‘s not the way you do it. You let the winner speak, then you ask him at the end about whether he‘s willing to fight Miller. But that's them. They're a Podunk, unknown, small-time organization. There shouldn‘t have been that many guys in the cage in the first place!"

Article

Nice find.....props are coming......"definately".........

Post #7   4/22/10 3:16:54PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:

dana white is bad for mma. the more he opens his mouth the more i wish he wouldnt. coker has always been a genuine dude
dana bad for mma? he's put on more big fights than coker. the ufc has drawn more of a bigger crowd and tv/ppv audience than strikeforce ever has. and granted dana tends to say things before they ever happen. but dana does speak his mind though.

Post #8   4/22/10 3:25:17PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
"they never respected him"

LMAO, how many times has Dana sh*t talked Jake Shields haha

Post #9   4/22/10 3:30:49PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
Well as a Shields fan, this makes me happy.

Post #10   4/22/10 5:39:00PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

dana white is bad for mma. the more he opens his mouth the more i wish he wouldnt. coker has always been a genuine dude. maybe sf did underestimate shields but so did everyone else. nobody thought jake was gonna win. white badmouths everything every single chance he gets. he needs to redirect some of that critizisim towards him self. podunk org? thats laughable. hes angry cause they got the deal he couldnt and they got alot of fighters he couldnt. not every fighter cares only about money. from what i hear they get treated pretty good over at sf.

go ahead an check my picks history, see if no one thought Shields would win

Post #11   4/22/10 5:58:03PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

How gay do GSP and Shields look in that picture.

Wishful thinking.

Post #12   4/22/10 5:58:36PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:

Posted by meier

dana white is bad for mma. the more he opens his mouth the more i wish he wouldnt. coker has always been a genuine dude
dana bad for mma? he's put on more big fights than coker. the ufc has drawn more of a bigger crowd and tv/ppv audience than strikeforce ever has. and granted dana tends to say things before they ever happen. but dana does speak his mind though.

While I agree with you that Dana helped the sport back in the day now he is just a hindrance....He is the Don King of our time......It would be nice if MMA was a sport and not sporting entertainment. I blame Dana for that. All the other orgs are willing to crosspromote and give the fans the fights they want to see...Only the UFC signs their fighters to exclusive deals. It's a shame really because think about the fights we could have seen...

Post #13   4/23/10 11:42:16AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I cant wait to see Jake against the top wrestlers in the UFC WW division! On all the stuff Dana said against SF is par for the course with White. SF definatly needs to have more control of what happens during "THEIR" broadcast..........wow Maybe Dana is right about letting CBS/other networks run any part of the broadcast!?!?!?!?

Post #14   4/23/10 5:55:05PM