Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gus Johnson: My Job Isn't To Promote The Sport-I'm Paid To Give My Opinion And Describe What I See

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Strikeforce: "Nashville" CBS broadcaster Gus Johnson retaliates after getting slammed by the majority of mixed martial arts pundits, including Mike Russell, who came down hard on the talking head for his comments during (and most memorably after) the main event between Jake Shields and Dan Henderson at "Saturday Night Fights" back on April 17. Most of what he commented on was the main event and the melee that happened afterwards.

Article

Post #1   4/21/10 6:30:58AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You're horrible, Gus. That's just the way it is, you big baby.

Post #2   4/21/10 8:48:34AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Advice to all the haters: Go download last week's (not yesterday's) episode of "Gross Point Blank", Josh Gross did a great interview with Johnson. Then hopefully you'll think different of him. And remember, he's a basketball guy first and foremost and probably there only because it's a CBS event and CBS pays him.

Post #3   4/21/10 8:58:25AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Advice to all the haters: Go download last week's (not yesterday's) episode of "Gross Point Blank", Josh Gross did a great interview with Johnson. Then hopefully you'll think different of him. And remember, he's a basketball guy first and foremost and probably there only because it's a CBS event and CBS pays him.

Honestly, I don't like Josh Gross either, so I probably won't listen to it.. But even tho he comes from basketball, that's no excuse for the ignorance he has showed ever since he began covering MMA.

Seriously, this is the guy that said Petruzelli over Kimbo was "THE MOST INCREDIBLE....VICTORY....in the HISTORY...of MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!!!"

It's not ALL Gus. Mauro Renallo and Frank Shamrock are equally as bad. I lost count of how many times I listened to their comments during the fights and said "What the hell are you guys talking about?" The announcers made it less enjoyable. Seriously, I had to get baked just to keep watching it.

If Gus doesn't feel like he needs to promote the sport, that's on him. I guess that's why I have such a big apprieciation for Goldie and ROgan. You can tell they love the sport and aren't just there for their paychecks like Johnson clearly is.

Seeing how horrible these CBS commontators are is making Dana look like a genious again for not jumping on with CBS when he had the chance.

Post #4   4/21/10 9:40:19AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
what a loser!!!
he shouldnt be given a opinion on a sport he knows nothing about
stick to what your good at gus!! stay away from mma

Post #5   4/21/10 10:02:36AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
CBS doesn't have many more options. Could you imagine Greg Gumbel or Jim Nantz doing MMA?

Not saying I like the guy, but I just don't see where CBS had any other option among their crop of announcers.

Post #6   4/21/10 10:06:15AM   

Qorvus

MMA Regular

Qorvus Avatar

Career:800-410
Chips:
I won't be critical of the asinine commenting, it's tough to speak accurately and sensibly on the fly.

But to say it isn't his job to promote the sport is just wrong. Commentators should be any sport's #1 ambassador, they are the voice of the organization and can sway viewer opinions.

Post #7   4/21/10 10:11:21AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I don't like Gus Johnson at all.

One thing that is funny to me, though, is how Dana went on Jim Rome yesterday talking about how Gus Johnson doesn't even look like an MMA guy. Then he goes on to say he knows nothing about the sport and is just a talking head type.

Umm.... HELLO??? McFly?? Can you say Mike Goldberg?

Goldie has become much better over the years, but let's not sit here and act like he and Gus Johnson are worlds apart. They're both commentators by career- not MMA people.

Post #8   4/21/10 11:05:29AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
And this is why I dislike gus johnson, I've been saying it for quite awhile now.

I even hate when he annouces football games...

If cbs didnt have to have one of their own guys in the announce booth it would be fine, I would take pat m. or stephen q. over gus the bus.

Post #9   4/21/10 11:09:27AM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
What an idiot. The last thing i want to hear are commentators opinions during a fight. Especially when they dont even know what is going on. They need to send this idiot to the forums and maybe he will get some knowledge of MMA. Until then he doesn't deserve to be commentating for any MMA promotion.

Post #10   4/21/10 11:13:15AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
I have been saying Johnson is horrible from the start. He will do far more to damage Strikeforce than a little melee will. He knows nothing about the sport and frankly I think he is a lousy announcer. Generally I don't like to put people down but he is on TV and he does commentate for my favorite sport so I think it is fair and justified to give my opinion on the matter.

Post #11   4/21/10 11:29:14AM   

gcraig22

MMA Regular

gcraig22 Avatar

Career:617-408
Chips:
CBS has plenty of choices for an announcer. Pat Militech, Don Frye, Bas Rutten, Kenny Rice, Michael Shiavello, Frank Trigg, Jim Brown.

Okay maybe not Jim Brown.

Point is, Gus Johnson knows nothing about MMA except what Showtime and CBS tell him. Time to go Gus.

Post #12   4/21/10 11:57:58AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,496-1,495
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
like i said before, it would be in the best interest of CBS and SF to hire Bas Rutten and Kenny Rice or even Ron Kruck the guys from Inside MMA..half of the time Gus didn't even know what was goin on..so why would u want to put a guy like that on a mma show, leave him at the sport he knows best..Franks should stick to fightin, not talkin..and Mauro Renallo is the most bias commentator out there, "Shield is the best fighter out there!" and "Aoki has nothing for Melendez and Melendez is goin to knock him out very early"..lmfao..garbage commentator...

Post #13   4/21/10 12:21:58PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
He did say this -

I'm also not blaming Miller for what happened. Mayhem didn’t do anything that Shane Mosely hasn’t done, or other fighters who aren’t a part of the main event of the card who get in the cage or the ring to hype a future fight haven't done hundreds of times before. It always happens. That’s not a big deal. The reaction from Gilbert and Jake and all these guys was what was the big deal. It was improper, and to be honest, it was shameful.

He may not know MMA but he clearly has common sense and clarity when assessing what went down after the title fight.

Post #14   4/21/10 1:34:50PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
ive never been a fan of johnson because the guy would just about cream his pants if he saw toast WITH jelly. everything gets his blood pressure up, and that works for some guys like dickie v. but with gus it seems entirely forced. i dont think hes that far off on what hes saying here, but if i heard his voice in the next 10 minutes im sure id disagree with him more.

Post #15   4/21/10 1:40:21PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2