Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA Top 10 Light Heavyweights: King Mo Makes List... Really?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
The last few times I've posted my rankings of the Top 10 light heavyweights in mixed martial arts, I've heard from readers who insisted that I had Gegard Mousasi too low. It turns out I was ranking Mousasi too high, and not giving enough credit to the man who thoroughly whipped him on Saturday night, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal.

Like most MMA fans, I questioned whether Lawal was ready for a fighter of Mousasi's considerable talents. But in reality Lawal showed that he has incredible strength and great takedowns, and he makes my list of the sport's best light heavyweights, which is below.

Would everyone agree with this list. I'm not so sure yet.

Full Article and List -Here-

Post #1   4/20/10 6:52:14PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I was reading Sherdog's new rankings earlier...I of coarse gave up on them when they had Mo and Gegard at 7 and 8, but Jon Jones unranked.

Edit: I guess since the Hamill fight was technically a loss, it makes a little more sense, but that's still a little high for both guys.

Last edited 4/20/10 7:19PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   4/20/10 7:12:06PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I was reading Sherdog's new rankings earlier...I of coarse gave up on them when they had Mo and Gegard at 7 and 8, but Jon Jones unranked.

Yeah i haven't been happy with Sherdog for a while. I have seen some blogs from them and they have been saying some things that many wouldn't agree with. Like you said their ranking system also is off. Usually when i look at rankings i come to mmaplayground. I think they have some of the best rankings and they are always updating them.

Post #3   4/20/10 7:22:50PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not my top 10 baby!!! Not mine
Top 15 yes

Post #4   4/20/10 8:23:27PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Chips:
Why not? MMAPlayground's #10 fighter's biggest victory is over Keith Jardine. Does that really warrant a higher ranking than Muhammad Lawal?

He defeated a top-20 pound-for-pound fighter in a unanimous decision, which puts him into the top ten for me. I think a lot of potential contenders for top-ten consideration have had losses or underwhelming outings recently, but Lawal's without a loss.

(I want to put Jones in the top ten too, but he did "lose" to Hamill.)

Post #5   4/20/10 8:37:31PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
People don't realize how good Mo is.

Post #6   4/20/10 8:50:29PM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:
If Gegard had any stamina, he would have finished Mo.

Last edited 4/20/10 9:23PM server time by spikerman19
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   4/20/10 9:22:47PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by MMA-San

People don't realize how good Mo is.

I think he's good, he's not a top 10 LHW though...

Post #8   4/20/10 9:42:25PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Yeah I got him at #9 in front of Gegard and behind Randy.

Mine goes...

1. Machida
2. Shogun(til he officially beats Machida)
3. Rashad
4. Rampage(til he officially beats Rashad which I think he will)
5. Forrest
6. Lil Nog(Til he beats Forrest which I think he will)
7. Thiago Silva
8. Randy Couture
9. King Mo
10. Gegard

Post #9   4/20/10 10:14:01PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Why not? MMAPlayground's #10 fighter's biggest victory is over Keith Jardine. Does that really warrant a higher ranking than Muhammad Lawal?

He defeated a top-20 pound-for-pound fighter in a unanimous decision, which puts him into the top ten for me. I think a lot of potential contenders for top-ten consideration have had losses or underwhelming outings recently, but Lawal's without a loss.

(I want to put Jones in the top ten too, but he did "lose" to Hamill.)

The problem is...giving Gegard a P4P ranking was probably giving him too much credit to begin with. He's a good fighter, but his stock was overinflated. It's the same logic that puts Gilly at the top of the LW rankings because he beat Aoki. If King Mo was able to do that to him after only a half dozen fights and on a half tank of gas, imagine what truly well rounded wrestlers would be capable of. There's too many guys at LHW that could give him fits to even begin the P4P talks...it's just that he hasn't been fighting those guys. I'm not trying to discredit his achievements, but his skill set is perfect for success in Japan, but it doesn't go nearly as far in the states.

Post #10   4/20/10 10:22:29PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The only reason I ranked Gegard any where is because everyone else was doing it(damn peer pressure). I kept saying you can't know how good any of these guys are until they're in the UFC.

The UFC has the best talent, hands down, no room for debate. There guys are tested the most and the most often. I find it really hard to rank anyone in the top ten if they aren't in the UFC. Shinya Aoki, lost to Gil. Gegard Mousasi, lost to an energy drink fountain.

To be honest it's really hard for me to keep Fedor at #1 HW. Especially with these guys looking so impressive in the UFC now. Honestly if he doesn't come to the UFC soon he'll fall out of my Top 3 HW's.

Post #11   4/20/10 11:00:26PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Wow, I'm surprised how little stock people were putting into Gegard. The man has solidly beaten Mark Hunt, Ronaldo Souza, Melvin Manhoef, Sokoudjou, Dong Sik Yoon, Denis Kang and Renato Sobral all in roughly 2 years. That's damn impressive, and I have no idea how that didn't earn him a top 10 spot. With King Mo beating him, I'd say that justifiably puts him in a comfortable #10 at least.

Post #12   4/20/10 11:30:43PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Wow, I'm surprised how little stock people were putting into Gegard. The man has solidly beaten Mark Hunt, Ronaldo Souza, Melvin Manhoef, Sokoudjou, Dong Sik Yoon, Denis Kang and Renato Sobral all in roughly 2 years. That's damn impressive, and I have no idea how that didn't earn him a top 10 spot. With King Mo beating him, I'd say that justifiably puts him in a comfortable #10 at least.

Yes, impressive, but none of those buys are top 10 material. Many of those guys are one dimensional fighters...doesn't mean they won't pose certain problems, but it doesn't get you a top 10 slot. Also, some of those fights didn't happen at LHW.

Post #13   4/21/10 12:02:06AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The top five guys are usually set, and 6-20 is where all the action is. Gegard did a lot more damage than Lawal, so I'm not like Lawal belongs between Rashad and Machida. He's got a decent future, but that was just Mousasi underestimating his stamina, and not training for Lawal. I still think Mousasi belongs at middleweight, but he would know better than I. I think Gegard was top ten at LHW, but very beatable, at MW I have him at number 2 behind Silva, and a much better fit.

Post #14   4/21/10 12:22:54AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Getting beat once by a great fighter doesn't make you less. I would put King Mo up there. In fact, I figured that he would win. His wrestling is stellar and dude hits very hard, albeit in an unorthodox fashion. I would take him against almost every lt. heavy in the UFC except Jon Jones, Machida, Shogun, and Rampage. Even then, he's got a shot against everyone of those guys. I'd like to see someone stop his takedowns. I haven't seen it yet.

Now that we are done with that. Jake Shields deserves serious respect. He came with it. I'm not a huge Shields fan but he isn't even middleweight and his ground is just amazingly sick. I think he and GSP would bore fans but those who know about ground would be tripping on all of the amazing wizardry on the ground. Put him in the UFC let him fight Josh K or Fitch and then fight GSP.

Or let him stay in SF (not gonna happen) and he can fight Jacare which I'd like to see.

I want to see Gegard go to MW where I think he actually belongs and fight there. I think he also needs to train in the US with wrestlers. He's really really good but you can't get wrestlers as good as King Mo anywhere but in the US..sorry. If he can get that part handled, his striking is superb, his subs are strong and he actually did more damage to King Mo than King Mo did to him but King Mo controlled 'where' the fight took place so he deserved to win. I think the style beat him so he has to shore up that area and he'll be good to go against anyone.

Post #15   4/21/10 12:30:56AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2