Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC NEWS: B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar 2 to headline UFC 118 in Boston

Print  
Who wins this time around?
Penn KO/TKO 9 38%
Edgar KO/TKO 0 0%
Penn Submission 8 33%
Edgar Submission 1 4%
Penn Decision 3 13%
Edgar Decision 3 13%
Posted By Message

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
While there has been discussion of a rematch between B.J. Penn and Frankie Edgar following their UFC 112 bout, the fight now appears to be set for this summer.

Full Article -Here-

Post #1   4/20/10 4:31:53PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Not too excited for this rematch but I will prolly pick edgar by ud this time.

Post #2   4/20/10 5:03:19PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Penn will come out way more aggressive than the first go round. I say he gets a sub by the 3rd round.

I accidently picked Edgar via Sub, but I meant Penn by sub.

Post #3   4/20/10 5:12:20PM   

Afflicted

MMA Regular

Afflicted Avatar

Career:426-283
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
I was just going to ask who in their right mind picked Edgar by sub

Post #4   4/20/10 5:40:36PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
im not a fan of immediate rematches except when very necessary like Machida/Rua .
I dont think this fight was as mind blowing as the machida/rua dec, I mean when this ended i thought Edgar had it so...
but i suppose its alright, I mean the ufc wants Penn to have the title and it cant be because it was a dec because there was no immediate jackson/griffin rematch so...

Post #5   4/20/10 7:33:48PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If I was paying to watch this I would be upset but given
I am flying 8 hours to boston. I am just glad I finally see penn fight
Live. And first time for edgar as well
I will be wearing my penn t shirt screaming for him to win like a
12 year old girl

Post #6   4/20/10 8:32:09PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I am also not a big fan of immediate rematches. Personally, and I will not engage in any further discussion on the matter after this comment, but since someone brought it up, I don't even think Rua deserved an immediate rematch. I think it's always best to have the parties involved have one more fight and then if they both win, rematch it. In this particular case it was a UD. Regardless of what you think should have happened it was a UD.

Regardless of what you think of the UFC judges every fighter knows "not to leave it in the hands of the judges." You face the consequences if you do. In the event of a UD, I think that you should be forced to fight another fight and then ask for your rematch. This is just my humble opinion. I know it won't be a popular one.

Post #7   4/20/10 8:36:45PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
hate this idea and hate immediate rematches, why dont they just strip edgar of the belt and give it to penn so he can be champ again? when they do a rematch right away then its obvious the reason they are doing it is to get penn the belt back.

Post #8   4/20/10 8:46:29PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I am also not a big fan of immediate rematches. Personally, and I will not engage in any further discussion on the matter after this comment, but since someone brought it up, I don't even think Rua deserved an immediate rematch. I think it's always best to have the parties involved have one more fight and then if they both win, rematch it. In this particular case it was a UD. Regardless of what you think should have happened it was a UD.

Regardless of what you think of the UFC judges every fighter knows "not to leave it in the hands of the judges." You face the consequences if you do. In the event of a UD, I think that you should be forced to fight another fight and then ask for your rematch. This is just my humble opinion. I know it won't be a popular one.

I actually agree with you, but I think there are extenuating circumstances regarding the immediate rematch Rua was awarded. Nobody else at light heavyweight had put together a string of wins that allowed them to deserve a crack at Machida's belt. Quinton Jackson was off filming a movie and Rashad Evans had not fought anybody yet. Griffin was humiliated at the hands of Anderson Silva, etc. I think the chips were in place to give a rematch to Shogun - and regardless of whether or not how you felt after the Machida fight (that Shogun should have won), Shogun performed well enough to deserve the rematch.

I would be fine if Maynard fought Edgar, but Penn getting the rematch makes more sense for UFC as a business. (Penn should have beat Edgar as well.)

Penn by submission in one of the middle rounds.

Post #9   4/20/10 8:46:47PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
If by those string of victories by Rua you mean a 3 round HORRIBLE fight with a 46 year old Mark Coleman and a knock out of a 39 year old punch drunk Chuck Liddell, yeah, he was EASILY the most deserving person at LHW. His only two wins in the UFC have come against opponents with a combined age of like 83. Coleman hadn't fought in over two years when he lost to Rua (not that he has done well since) and Liddell had lost 3 out of 4 fights going into the Rua fight. Do not sell me on Rua having proven himself. In his only fight against Top 10 competition Rua was defeated pretty handily by Griffin. He should be at the back of the bus after losing a UD.

Post #10   4/21/10 2:11:18AM