Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA rules changes...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
After tonight I feel like their could be a lot of good changes in MMA.

Like for the Mo/Gegard fight. Why can't you upkick a downed opponent? That's ridiculous too me since I think it's more dangerous to throw an upkick while the person and coming down towards him because the impacts clash which makes it more dangerous IMO. Gegard/Jacare, Diaz/Fickett(I think) was more brutal then Gegard's upkicks while Mo was on the ground. I also think they should start allowing knees to the head and downwards elbows. The knees help neutralize the wrestling and they both help with making GNP more offensive and active too. It makes for a more active fight rather then watching somebody hold somebody from the sprawled position or against the cage while their opponents touching the ground, and its better then just watching Mo stand in Gegard's guard, helps the person on their back mount more offense too.

Also in the Aoki fight it bothered me when Aoki grabbed Melendez's wrists, the ref told him to let go because he had ahold of the glove. Well no sh*t the glove is covering the wrist and their's a lot of wrist control with ju-jitsu so that creates a disadvantage. Also it was annoying watching the ref stand them up even if they had ahold of each other. he kept break them apart of standing them up only for Aoki to drop back down anyway so just let them go until Melendez backs up for the stand up.

So...

-Knees to downed opponents
-Downward elbows
-Stupid can grab wrists but not gloves rule(even though wrist covers glove)

I feel would help both the fighters on top and on the ground which would make for a more active fight IMO and make it just a little harder to just neutralize somebody. Not saying Gegard was going to do anything anyways if those upkicks were legal because he looked lost anyway but at least would have given him the extra option. And maybe Hendo would have finished Shields in the first if he could knee him in the face while Shields was on the ground while in the middle of the cage and even against the cage. Even melendez had a chance to knee Aoki a few times when he shot. What do you guys think?

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   4/18/10 3:04:40AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You do know that there are no elbows in Strikeforce right? I'd start right there if you want to see more inspired GnP.

Post #2   4/18/10 3:22:16AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!! hahahahah I didn't even notice that. Now that's ridiculous. is their a legit reason why?

Post #3   4/18/10 3:26:24AM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!! hahahahah I didn't even notice that. Now that's ridiculous. is their a legit reason why?

It was advised at the beginning of the broadcast, but did not go into detail.

Post #4   4/18/10 3:29:40AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Standing headbutts for the win....

I think they are no more dangerous standing than an elbow on the ground, and they should be allowed in baseball too because that sport is boring as fuc king shi t.

Last edited 4/18/10 3:47AM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #5   4/18/10 3:30:20AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Same old anti-elbow argument... they cause cuts.

Post #6   4/18/10 3:43:45AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:
hahaha like tonight in boxing, Kelly Pavlik didn't suffer nasty cuts from punches. Aldo definitely cut Swanson up with a nasty elbow right? hahaha wow thats dumb.

Post #7   4/18/10 3:47:54AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

hahaha like tonight in boxing, Kelly Pavlik didn't suffer nasty cuts from punches. Aldo definitely cut Swanson up with a nasty elbow right? hahaha wow thats dumb.

Yes it is. There are a lot of dumb rules in MMA. hopefully that will change someday.

Post #8   4/18/10 4:08:06AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
you cant say "you can only kick him in the head when he's down in this situation", it would get way too confusing and there would be so many DQ's, if you allow upkicks to a downed opponent, then you would have be allowed to soccer kick, or face stomp or knee the head of a downed opponent, its all the same because its a downed opponent, thats why the rule is in place,

Post #9   4/18/10 7:44:59AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

you cant say "you can only kick him in the head when he's down in this situation", it would get way too confusing and there would be so many DQ's, if you allow upkicks to a downed opponent, then you would have be allowed to soccer kick, or face stomp or knee the head of a downed opponent, its all the same because its a downed opponent, thats why the rule is in place,

They are not the same at all if you are stomping you can put all of your weight in a downward motion into the strike. Same with a soccer kicks you can get everything into them but if you are laying on your back throwing up kicks the force is far less then the others.

As for Knees and elbows if the where to allow them it would create much better fights. Throwing elbows from mount helps to create more striking opportunitys giving more chances to end the fight they also make the attacker more vulnarable to being reversed as balance can be lost during the strike.

Post #10   4/18/10 12:47:16PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

After tonight I feel like their could be a lot of good changes in MMA.

Like for the Mo/Gegard fight. Why can't you upkick a downed opponent? That's ridiculous too me since I think it's more dangerous to throw an upkick while the person and coming down towards him because the impacts clash which makes it more dangerous IMO. Gegard/Jacare, Diaz/Fickett(I think) was more brutal then Gegard's upkicks while Mo was on the ground. I also think they should start allowing knees to the head and downwards elbows. The knees help neutralize the wrestling and they both help with making GNP more offensive and active too. It makes for a more active fight rather then watching somebody hold somebody from the sprawled position or against the cage while their opponents touching the ground, and its better then just watching Mo stand in Gegard's guard, helps the person on their back mount more offense too.

Also in the Aoki fight it bothered me when Aoki grabbed Melendez's wrists, the ref told him to let go because he had ahold of the glove. Well no sh*t the glove is covering the wrist and their's a lot of wrist control with ju-jitsu so that creates a disadvantage. Also it was annoying watching the ref stand them up even if they had ahold of each other. he kept break them apart of standing them up only for Aoki to drop back down anyway so just let them go until Melendez backs up for the stand up.

So...

-Knees to downed opponents
-Downward elbows
-Stupid can grab wrists but not gloves rule(even though wrist covers glove)

I feel would help both the fighters on top and on the ground which would make for a more active fight IMO and make it just a little harder to just neutralize somebody. Not saying Gegard was going to do anything anyways if those upkicks were legal because he looked lost anyway but at least would have given him the extra option. And maybe Hendo would have finished Shields in the first if he could knee him in the face while Shields was on the ground while in the middle of the cage and even against the cage. Even melendez had a chance to knee Aoki a few times when he shot. What do you guys think?

I think that if you allow knees to the head when you're on the ground, you don't neutralize wrestling, you make it a stronger base. All it takes is a North/south position, or side control, and you can KO someone with a few knees. The 12:6 elbow should be allowed. I think upkicking a downed opponent is a horrible idea. Sure, you might get a few more exciting finishes, but the sport isn't about exciting finishes, its about fighting in the safest way possible.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #11   4/18/10 3:26:02PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr
Sure, you might get a few more exciting finishes, but the sport isn't about exciting finishes, its about fighting in the safest way possible.

You like to talk out of both sides of your mouth

Old post

What is so dangerous about a up kick? Do you think a up kick is more devestating then punches from mount?

Post #12   4/18/10 7:57:21PM   

State_Champ

"I love you, my bitches!"

State_Champ Avatar

Career:2,272-1,409
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I had to edit this post.

Anyway.....

I think the rules for actual combat in the UFC are my favorite since they seem to satisfy ACs and casual fans but they sacrifice as little as possible IMO.
The things I have a problem with tend to be the more subjective reffing rules such as when to stand up fighters on the ground (imo never. not unless a fighter is stalling and then there need to be point deduction or at least a warning followed by a point deduction if the rule is violated again)

so, yeah, i think up kicks to a grounded opponent should be illegal.

i hope this post made some kind of sense because i don't feel like re-reading to check for errors now.

Last edited 4/18/10 8:15PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   4/18/10 8:09:53PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Caesarrrr
Sure, you might get a few more exciting finishes, but the sport isn't about exciting finishes, its about fighting in the safest way possible.

Old post

What is so dangerous about a up kick? Do you think a up kick is more devestating then punches from mount?

there is a complete difference between me saying the sport isn't about exciting finishes, and me being disappointed in a fighter who clearly could have and should have finished failing to do so. That's like you saying you love seeing baseball home runs, and you were disappointed in a batter who appeared to give it half power, yet understanding that the sport isn't about getting homers.

Post #14   4/18/10 9:45:30PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr

Posted by postman

Posted by Caesarrrr

Old post

there is a complete difference between me saying the sport isn't about exciting finishes, and me being disappointed in a fighter who clearly could have and should have finished failing to do so. That's like you saying you love seeing baseball home runs, and you were disappointed in a batter who appeared to give it half power, yet understanding that the sport isn't about getting homers.

I'm from Pittsburgh whats a Home Run lol. No I get what you mean just seems silly to complain on one hand that a guy didn't finish but on the other be willing to take weapons away from a fighter making it harder to finish.

Post #15   4/19/10 12:05:40AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2